Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Accutane  (Read 9022 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Accutane
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2010, 12:10:43 pm »

I had rampant acne when I was like 14. A combination of showering daily, washing face with soap three or four times or day, changing pillowcases every night, steaming my face with chamomile tea (put tea in bowl, lean 40-50cm over bowl, cover head with towel) and just plain getting older resolved it, and I have no acne scars today.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2010, 02:40:53 pm »

Look up hyper-vitaminosis A, and then don't go that far.
The Institute of Medicine says that the Lowest Observed Adverse Effect Level (LOAEL) for vitamin A, when taken over an extended period of time is 21,600 IU.

Believe me, I've done my research; more than just a quick Google.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 02:42:58 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2010, 02:43:02 pm »

Look up hyper-vitaminosis A, and then don't go that far.
The Institute of Medicine says that the Lowest Observed Adverse Effect Level (LOAEL) for vitamin A, when taken over an extended period of time is 21,600 IU.

Yeah, I'm just saying you mentioned "not knowing the other adverse side effects," which include heavy, pitted growths on your bones, organ system failure, and all your skin peeling off.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2010, 04:08:53 pm »

Bear in mind that these drugs (retinoids) were developed, in fact, to get some of the effects of vitamin A administration while minimizing others. I don't think it's a good idea to take unsupervised vitamin A supplements to try to get the same effect.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2010, 12:33:02 pm »

Bear in mind that these drugs (retinoids) were developed, in fact, to get some of the effects of vitamin A administration while minimizing others. I don't think it's a good idea to take unsupervised vitamin A supplements to try to get the same effect.

I think it sounds like a better solution than accutane, so far.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2010, 04:07:41 pm »

No, it doesn't. To get the same desired effect you have to take higher doses, and thus risk more of the undesired ones
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2010, 04:39:52 pm »

No, it doesn't. To get the same desired effect you have to take higher doses, and thus risk more of the undesired ones

I doubt the effects are identical.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2010, 04:46:55 pm »

... which is what I said. They are vitamin A derivates, not vitamin A.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoid

I can't fathom why you would think that taking vitamin A unsupervised is better than taking a more speciffic acting derivative WITH supervision.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2010, 09:59:27 am »

Who do you trust more with the production of vitamin A dervatives?

Your body, or your physician?

Which substance is less likely to have long-term side-effects?

Also the listed side-effects for accutane, and I heard vitamin A was enough for one dude.

http://www.accutanesideeffects.net/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:17:14 am by eerr »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2010, 12:17:17 pm »

You persist in your misconception: accutane is a derivate from vitamin A. The ill effects from accutane are found as well in vitamin A, along with many others because it's less specific and you'll require higher doses to reach the same desired effect. In fact, that was why retinoids were developed in the first place. And yes,  taking vitamins without medical supervision is a bad idea. Vitamin overdose is real enough.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2010, 12:59:29 pm »

Aright, alright, I don't think either really heavy doses of vitamin A, nor doctor prescribed doses of accutane are healthy.

I would just make someone take some vitamin A, and look for a different solution.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2010, 07:06:56 am »

Heh, I used to like girls with acne. It looks good on the girls I know, adds a bit of a blush. But I guess after googling it, it doesn't look good on everyone.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]