Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Accutane  (Read 9023 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Accutane
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2010, 08:09:58 pm »

This thread has started cycling; find a new angle.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2010, 08:43:15 pm »

Nobody was saying that he should make a habit of taking risks like that, nor that he should engage in other risky activity. He asked for advice about a single decision, and possible trends of risky behavior have no impact whatsoever on whether or not he should make this decision.

Okay, sure, if he's making an exception from reasonable behavior this one time.

Even then, 10% is a ridiculously high probability if the result is something chronic and bad happening. Then again, I guess most people have been trained by commercials to think that "90%" or higher is close enough to 100% that the remainder doesn't matter.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2010, 11:27:19 pm »

Someone decided to turn a simple "What do you guys think of this?" into a treatise on risk management.  :o

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2010, 11:47:31 pm »

Hey, try a steam room and changing your pillowcases out every day or other day. My acne goes away if I shower when I wake up, after work, and I don't drink too much soda.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2010, 12:17:01 am »

Someone decided to turn a simple "What do you guys think of this?" into a treatise on risk management.  :o

It is about risk management.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2010, 12:27:08 pm »

Perhaps for you. When the decision came to me I didn't even think about the risk, as it seemed pretty remote. The doc put me on a trial, I responded positively, so we went ahead with the whole package. He told me that if I had any adverse reaction of any kind, I should stop immediately and we'd try something else. I understand that your experiences have probably made you a bit wary of risk, but it turns out okay in the vast majority of cases and there are things they can do to limit the risk, such as the trial I mentioned.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2010, 02:35:43 pm »

Perhaps for you. When the decision came to me I didn't even think about the risk, as it seemed pretty remote. The doc put me on a trial, I responded positively, so we went ahead with the whole package. He told me that if I had any adverse reaction of any kind, I should stop immediately and we'd try something else. I understand that your experiences have probably made you a bit wary of risk, but it turns out okay in the vast majority of cases and there are things they can do to limit the risk, such as the trial I mentioned.

"My experiences"? I've never used Accutane. I'm wary of risk because it's the sane thing to do, especially in a situation like this, where it's plainly obvious you can't trust the drug involved very much at all.

As is easy to figure out just from reading this thread and doing some light research, the side effects from Accutane can be chronic, serious, difficult to detect even when your doctors are competent, and include everything from stunted growth (taking it as a teenager is probably a bad idea) to depression to bowel diseases to chronic dry eyes/skin, the chance of this happening is significant, and on top of that, the medical field isn't even entirely sure how bad the situation is. People have sued the producers of the drug and won multiple times.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2010, 02:47:14 pm »

I meant your experiences in life, not with this specific drug.

Regardless, you're blowing this way out of proportion and frankly it's becoming tiresome. Yes, the drug can have bad side-effects. It can also do good things for you. The OP will have to read this and judge for himself whether it is worth the risk. I'm done here, enjoy your risk-free life.

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2010, 02:53:28 pm »

Lol, this thread has kinda taken a turn to nowhere but to say the significance of the risks have been blown out of proportion is very wrong in my opinion. Who, knowingly in their right mind, would use a drug largely for aesthetic value which has a real risk of destroying their quality of life? The issue is awareness of this horrible drug and that's what I sought and continue to seek promotion of. That's my bottom-line.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2010, 02:56:00 pm »

It's about risk vs. reward, really.

Reward: You no longer have acne.

Risk: Maybe a 1/20th chance of having it fuck you over physically and mentally, ruining your fucking life more or less permanently.

Yeah, I'd pass. Scrub your face when you brush your teeth and keep a supply of pillowcases on hand so you can wash them once a week but change them daily.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2010, 02:57:56 pm »

Yeah, apparently I'm trying to lead a "risk-free life" by thinking it's a bad idea to take a drug for non-emergency and largely cosmetic purposes when it has a significant chance of causing serious, indefinitely-lasting, extremely-varied, sometimes poorly-understood side effects, especially when the marketers of it have been sued successfully at least three times. I'm not talking out-of-court settlements, either.

Some of the side effects would be difficult to detect even after the fact, like the fact that it can flat-out stop bone growth in teenagers.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2010, 05:44:26 pm »

I have only been taking it for about a week now, and my skin and eyes are slightly dry, but it is nothing severe so far. Today my lower back has been sore, but I don't know if that was related to the drug or I just slept on it wrong etc. The plan is to up the dosage after the first month, and these effects may become more of a nuisance.

I will consider everything that has been said in this topic and have a discussion with my dermatologist. I'll try to find out things like out of the patients he has prescribed Accutane, how many have been successful/unsuccessful and in the latter cases what went wrong. The man has a young daughter and he has said if her acne was as bad as mine he would have prescribed it for her. A nurse at the office also told me she would trust it with her children.

10% may not be accurate, I double-checked the study I had been looking at, and the 10% were patients experiencing less critical side effects than I had thought, things like muscle and joint aches (that went away afterward) and very dry mouth. Extreme issues like the kind stunt described were more around 1-3%.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2010, 11:04:28 pm »

Again, my advice, if you're wary about taking full on Accutane, is to do a large dose of Vitamin A every day. I currently take 16000 IUs (perfectly reasonable for someone of my size) a day and it's definitely had a noticeable effect on my skin condition. I'm not sure of any side effects other than the drier-than-usual skin and occasionally dry eyes, but the research I've done into it shows nothing harmful in the long term.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2010, 11:07:20 pm »

Look up hyper-vitaminosis A, and then don't go that far.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2010, 11:09:06 pm »

Yeah, massive intake of Vitamin A is a little risky.

Of course, we get a lot of Vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene, which the human body doesn't synthesize Vitamin A from unless you actually need it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5