Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Accutane  (Read 9026 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Accutane
« on: October 31, 2010, 07:46:55 pm »

Hello,
I have just begun to take Accutane (now marketed as Claravis, isotretinoin) for the treatment of acne and would like to know if anyone here has had any experience with it. My dermatologist is a family friend whom I trust and he assured us that the risk of any serious side-effects were very low. I have my blood checked each month while taking it as a precaution.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Accutane
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 07:52:01 pm »

Why not use an anti-acne cream instead of a pill? Theres plenty of them out there, Clearasil for example.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:53:05 pm »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000532#a681043-sideEffects

Beyond that, I don't know much. However, If the TV is to be believed, it will cause you serious health problems, from Ulcerative Colitis, to death. If you or a loved one has experienced any of these symptoms, J&B Attorneys would like to hear from you.
*J&B Attorneys is not a firm offering legal advice, and is a directory service for those seeking legal help.

Honestly though, I'd say the chances of anything bad happening to you are slim to none. Same with everything else, really.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:00:13 pm »

Why not use an anti-acne cream instead of a pill? Theres plenty of them out there, Clearasil for example.
I have tried many products and have decided to go with the pill. If this it is successful the acne will clear up almost completely in 5 months rather than continue to potentially cause scarring for years.

Beyond that, I don't know much. However, If the TV is to be believed, it will cause you serious health problems, from Ulcerative Colitis, to death. If you or a loved one has experienced any of these symptoms, J&B Attorneys would like to hear from you.
*J&B Attorneys is not a firm offering legal advice, and is a directory service for those seeking legal help.
The doc made it clear that we should forget about anything we see on TV...I think it will be perfectly safe and all my research seems to agree, I'm only checking to see if I can find any first-hand experiences.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:18:15 pm »

The doc made it clear that we should forget about anything we see on TV...I think it will be perfectly safe and all my research seems to agree, I'm only checking to see if I can find any first-hand experiences.

Exactly. You will likely be perfectly fine. I would caution that those who have negative experiences tend to be more vocal than those who don't though.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:38:42 pm by Calhoun »
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 08:33:40 pm »

I know how you feel on the "tried other stuff and nothing is working" thing. Personally, I forgo the doctor and just take a somewhat larger than normal vitamin A supplement every day (the stuff they use to make accutane) and my acne hasn't been an issue at all lately.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 08:45:42 pm »

Hm, my acne went away when I started washing my face three times a day and making sure not to touch it with dirty hands.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 09:27:33 pm »

I had to do a pretty intense accutane regiment. My advice is only two things:

1) Should be obvious but never miss a pill. You would think that with how these things seem to nuke acne that it wouldn't be a big deal but it is definitely noticeable and will fry your bacon in a bad way.

2) Take care of your skin. Accutane dries you out way bad. You will need to drink like, double the water, and be sure to moisturize and use some chap stick.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 07:26:16 am »

Helmaroc, I've been on the stuff. The only side effects that are really noticable are the easy sunburn and the drying out of the skin, just moisturise and everything'll go right.
They started to collide~

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 12:46:56 pm »

What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 03:40:53 pm »

Thanks. He mentioned the drying out and sunburn, and I'll be careful not to miss a dose.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 05:23:11 pm »

I took a double course as a kid, while playing football in high school.  I have a lot of really neat scars where my skin tore like parchment.

Acne is not an issue at all anymore.  I'm very very happy about that.

Unfortunately, I'm one of the people that got stuck with digestive issues.

Constant diarrhea is a small price to pay for a beautiful face though.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 06:15:14 pm »

maybe I'm just weird, but I personally see nothing bad with having an acne riddled face, and this is coming from the guy that has the only bad face in the family.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 10:52:36 pm »

I read the best cure for acne on Reddit the other day: Changing your pillowcase every single day. Regardless of how many times you wash or apply ointments. Sleeping on a dirty pillowcase is equivilent to sleeping on the seeped-in grease of all the previous nights you've slept on it.

Lots of replies to that thread indicated that this was a largely unknown, but suprisingly effective solution. You should try it before resorting to drastic measures.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Captain Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 08:59:33 am »

Accutane... Oh my. I remember taking that! Things you should know:

-Never ever EVER EVER EEVVVVRRR leave without really really good chapstick, especially in winter or dry climates. i recommend Burt's Bees, that stuff is amazing.
-Never ever ever leave home without putting on facial lotion, I would generally have facial dandruff if I didn't. That was never fun to explain...
-Consider the risks, those ads aree true about the digestion problems, I definately have spells of terrible irregularites, I think it was worth it because I had really really bad acne... like big pus filled ones that would randomly decide to burst and bleed...

All that aside, don't get pregnant :P I remember there being layer upon layer of packaging with warnings. Of course, that doesn't affect me though.

Good luck!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5