Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarven D-Cell  (Read 4200 times)

Brisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven D-Cell
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 06:57:07 am »

Has anyone done mass-production of this yet? How's the framerate when you have a lot of dwarves, but most of them are in D-cells?

Sounds like it might work but you would probably be better off just setting the population cap low so that you don't get a bunch of dorfs in the first place. Unless you are trying to attract the King or something.

Jakeman

• Escaped Lunatic
  • DF + Halo soundtrack = epic WIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 06:58:46 am »

Wow, I've been lurking around here for about a month, and I got an idea to create a dwarven Prison whereby all Immigrants are sent out to be held at the new fortress prison.  I had no idea on how to keep all the dwarves alive without a lot of effort, and this design is EXACTLY what I wanted!  Now I don't have to worry about feeding them, or keeping them happy.  They can engrave their own walls, and brew their own booze, and grow their own food!  THIS IS GENIUS!!!!

*Shamelessly steals the blueprints and runs off cackling into the land Of Dwarf Fortress*
Whe I find something funny, I will put it here.  OK?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 10:45:36 am »

Juuust one problem with the original design: you can't build workshops over floors. Bridges yes, traps I think so, but not workshops.

In my modified design, I don't need to build a workshop over a constructed floor anymore.

Perhaps you should make a topic about it.

OT: MMF, that is a good idea, but I think it is a bit inefficient. A design like this would be best:
Code: [Select]
SSS
SSS>
SSS

~~~
~~~X
~~~

8Tn
PPP
PPP
I got a bit lazy with finding the right characters. P is pile, n is chair, 8 is bed.

We had the issue of above-ground crops already. This is just an unnecessary floor-building mess. Actually, your field is probably more than large enough.

Perhaps you should make a topic about it.

OT: MMF, that is a good idea, but I think it is a bit inefficient. A design like this would be best:
SSS
SSS>
SSS

~~~
~~~X
~~~

8Tn
PPP
PPP
I got a bit lazy with finding the right characters. P is pile, n is chair, 8 is bed.

I think we can simplify it further.

SSSP~~
SSSP~~
SSSnT8

:D

Actually, you need at least three different stockpiles to hold seeds, berries and booze. You should designate two booze piles to have two barrels ready, to prevent dwarves to die of dehydration while On Break for a year. The trick is to use the z-Kitchen Menu to get the prisoners/immigrants/expendables to alternately brew Strawberry Wine and Fisher Berry Wine.

what do you mean by the name D-Cell? Like a battery? Or a detention cell?
Yes.
I agree. Your choice.

*Shamelessly steals the blueprints and runs off cackling into the land Of Dwarf Fortress*
Very dwarfy.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2010, 02:03:24 pm »

I have just found a serious issue: Vermin.
They will eat the food and/or booze, unless you put a cat/kitten in every D-Cell. In this case, the generated rat corpses will produce miasma, unless you put them under sunlight. The best solution for this is to designate a 4-tile Refuse pile which has once seen sunlight and occasionaly dump all refuse onto a garbage dump tile (preferably also in sunlight). A magma dump is dwarfier but unrequired and more dangerous, as the D-Cells are stacked vertically and a single garbage chute will connect all the rooms, forcing you (when using the preserved dwarves) to either open all D-Cells simultaneously or open the upper D-Cells first and build a floor over the lowest now-unused chute tile, which can be annoying if you reuse the D-Cells. The magma dump pool needs to be cut-off from anything else, because we don't want anything annoying (disease/dragon/FB/fire imp/HFS/whatnot) to get in the D-Cells, and definitely not into many at once.
Another problem is the cats themselves: someday or other they will adopt a dwarf (almost certainly not the dwarf in the cat's D-Cell). I currently see no non-modding fix to this problem, but there is presumably no significant speed lag from cats seeking unreachable owners. The lag after the unsealing is a bit more serious. Go deal with it yourself.

So the most recent design is this one:
SSSnT8~~L
SSS231~RR
SSS23!~RR

Layout variations are allowed.

S: Still
8: Bed
n: Chair
T: Table
1: Seeds pile
2: Booze piles (2 to automatically get two barrels)
3: Food piles (2 too)
~: Fisher berry/Wild strawberry plots
R: Refuse piles
L: Lever/Dump zone
!: Cat/kitten cage

Needs:
11 building materials (9 floors, 1 Still, 1 Seal)
1 Bed
1 Table
1 Chair
5 Barrels
2 Bags
2 Fisher Berry Seeds
2 Wild Strawberry Seeds
1 Cage
3 Mechanisms (to destruct cage after sealing)
1 Cat
1 Dwarf

Construction Manual:

1. Channel out the space for the plot ONLY.

2. Over the plot, build following contraption:
Side view:
######
->~B~F
######

Top view:
######
->~B~F
######

->: Water input
B: Raising bridge
F: Floodgate

3. Link both "gates" to the same lever.

4. Repeat
  • Pull lever twice
  • Build floor over lowest plot field
until all plots are muddied.

5. Channel out future Refuse/Dump areas.

6. Floor them, as they have received the Light and the AboveGround.

7. Build the furniture/still/cage and designate the stockpiles.

8. Assign a Stray (!) cat/kitten to each cage.

9. Connect each cage to its lever.

10. Seal a dwarf in and tell him to pull his/her/whatever lever.

11. Designate a Dump Zone over the lever or optional magma dump.

12. Have Fun.

Any success/failure reports and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2010, 02:07:18 pm »

Why does there need to be a Booze stockpile, just having them sit in the still will do...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2010, 02:10:44 pm »

Will they drink from it?

Edit: The pile is only there to supply barrels.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010, 05:19:56 pm »

Bonus points for having the pods automatically seal via cave-in, and have a pick inside. Little dwarven fallout shelters.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 05:28:47 pm »

Bonus points for having the pods automatically seal via cave-in, and have a pick inside. Little dwarven fallout shelters.
When you select the victim resident just make him a miner, wait for him to acquire his pick, then assign him to the cell shelter.  Once he's in, disable mining and he should drop the pick, and it will be available once you are ready for him to escape leave.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2010, 07:01:58 am »

First testing is complete! The D-Cell works perfectly!

Building the cells was just awesome, as I had a framerate of 100. I brought 15 kittens, and they were adopted all but one in the first Spring (3 cat-lovers!)
I had to change the booze piles to furniture piles to make the dwarf brew the drink, and as there were no fisher berries on my map, I used prickle berries.
Then he brewed a Prickle Berry Wine [15]! I don't think I will have to visit again in the next few years, except to dump the refuse pile once in a while.
The dwarf is now ecstatic, but has two friends, so the next tests will involve HFS.

Edit:
I could not access HFS (no cotton candy?!), so I built a pier over magma and collapsed all my dwarves into it. McPickled merely went unhappy, and recovered after sleeping in his very good bedroom.

Next big problem: I have 14 named Stray Cats and cannot reach them. Catsplosion is imminent.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:15:56 am by MagmaMcFry »
Pages: 1 2 [3]