Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: How good is glass for traps?  (Read 8092 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: How good is glass for traps?
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2010, 12:20:24 am »

Oh hell, and I've fucked it all up. I'll have to start over on a new map. I'll work on this tomorrow.

Nah, just remove/dig out anything you weren't supposed to, replace anything you weren't supposed remove, etcetera. You shouldn't need to go to a new map.

Hell you might find it easiest to dig out the entire volume you want to build the trap in, & build it from scratch.
No it wasn't a structural issue. Whilst digging down to get to the magma to fill the magma chamber I've mistakenly cracked hell open and hungry heads and other various beasties are eating all my dwarves. Before I'd realized it they were up inside my fort.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2010, 12:36:57 am »

Oh, yes, that IS a clown of a different colour.

Sorry to hear that, good luck next time.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2010, 12:58:19 am »

Its my own fault. Some monkeys started stealing things just after I'd designated more areas to be dug out and mistakenly opened a way into the Fun. Ahh well...

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2010, 05:42:44 am »

So I heard about glass weapons sucking horribly and decided to make my danger training room with upright glass spikes x10 instead of training spears x10. I linked them up to the repeating lever and sent in the recruits in full steel armour. They died. Quickly. Reading the combat logs, almost every strike that wasn't blocked bruised and chipped stuff through the armour.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2010, 05:46:23 am »

So I heard about glass weapons sucking horribly and decided to make my danger training room with upright glass spikes x10 instead of training spears x10. I linked them up to the repeating lever and sent in the recruits in full steel armour. They died. Quickly. Reading the combat logs, almost every strike that wasn't blocked bruised and chipped stuff through the armour.
Awesome.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2010, 07:59:34 am »

Wow, sounds like I should immediately put my glassmakrs to work to make a couple of glass spikes :D

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2010, 08:00:15 am »

Ouch! I can imagine the agony. Instead of dodging relatively harmless wooden poles, evil pointy glass spears slid through every crack in your armor >.<

Okay, i need to vomit now.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2010, 07:38:49 pm »

Well, you don't want to overdo it with the glass. It will get deflected by armor, yes, but there are parts of your dorfs that cannot be covered. So using 10 glass spikes on them, repeatedly, is going to hurt them eventually.

I would recommend spike traps with 2 spikes it in, and moreso, I would actually hook the lever for those traps in the "danger room" itself, and have the soldiers pull it - so that in the event of an accident where they DO get wounded, they'll "cancel task - too wounded" and thus avoid pointy-induced death. In theory, anyways.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]