Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: How good is glass for traps?  (Read 8089 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: How good is glass for traps?
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2010, 04:53:39 am »

I demand you design and post this chamber which can utilize magma, water, or dropping.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2010, 04:55:32 am »

Sure, give me a little while to model it.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2010, 06:41:40 am »

Hopefully this is clear enough, it's hard to show something this complicated in 2d:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The tilted white blocks are raised drawbridges; some of the intervening space is not shown because the images are cluttered enough as it is.  Put "filter" fortifications or bars or whatever where appropriate.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:43:26 am by FleshForge »

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2010, 10:16:21 am »

I like the "very pointy" hehe.

Mine has room on the floor above it for me to dig 2 channels and pump water into the chamber. I've dug drainage tunnels but haven't connected them up to anything yet. I made bridges to cover the spikes too, just in case.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2010, 10:23:38 am »

If you happen to have a map with any kind of waterfall, even one z-level, then the drowner "goblin washer" can be done without pumps.  The spikes are just for extra laughs - if you're in a hurry to get this up and running, you can quickly build the drowner as one channel down, and then dig out all the extra fall space after you're more settled, and hook up a magma pump between attacks too.  Really the deadly part of the entrance is the "dodge me" weapon traps loaded with training weapons, and those can be built right after embarking, they just take 10 stone and some wood - up to 40 if you really want to be thorough, but it has worked fine with 5 per trap.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:25:21 am by FleshForge »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2010, 07:29:09 pm »

I am working on building this ingame now. Ideally I will make it in such a way that it recycles the water and magma, with two separate drains.

I also plan to add a trap chamber off the side. If I need prisoners I retract the spikes and open the door to the trap chamber. The gobbos path through it to the fort, run in, and get caught.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2010, 07:56:01 pm »

The reality of building this is pretty complex. Working on it.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:56 pm »

Oh sure, all the plumbing for the magma will be a real pain, but I'm sure you'll get it working.  Sounds fun!

edit: worth noting that, if you want it to be longer than 10x3, you just add more bridges to make it as long as you want it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2010, 08:28:59 pm »

Yep, Working on the 3x10 version first and if that proves insufficient I can easily extend it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2010, 09:02:04 pm »

Ran into a slight snag in drainage, had to set up additional precautions in case loot was drained down into the tank with the magma/water.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2010, 10:33:12 pm »

Added a second chamber off the retracting bridge. This way if I want prisoners instead of corpses I can slide the bridge out, they dodge out over a 1 z-level fall and land (mostly) unharmed. Then I open the door (via mechanism) and they path through a cage-trap corridor.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2010, 11:01:04 pm »

There are two bridges in that design model earlier, although it's pretty cluttered and maybe not illustrated too clearly, sorry.  I think you'll have a lot of fun with that setup :)

edit: oops I misunderstood, I see what you mean.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2010, 11:23:18 pm »

Oh hell, and I've fucked it all up. I'll have to start over on a new map. I'll work on this tomorrow.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2010, 11:28:28 pm »

:0  Bummer!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2010, 12:19:15 am »

Oh hell, and I've fucked it all up. I'll have to start over on a new map. I'll work on this tomorrow.

Nah, just remove/dig out anything you weren't supposed to, replace anything you weren't supposed remove, etcetera. You shouldn't need to go to a new map.

Hell you might find it easiest to dig out the entire volume you want to build the trap in, & build it from scratch.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5