Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: How good is glass for traps?  (Read 8088 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
How good is glass for traps?
« on: August 31, 2010, 02:38:28 pm »

I have  a legendary glasscutter, and am pondering making each of the four trap components for weapon traps to give me something to use my excess mechanisms for.

If you had to compare it to a metal, what would it be comparable to?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How good is glass for traps?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 02:39:57 pm »

I would compare it to skin if anything. In fact, it's exactly like skin but with an uninitialised MAX_EDGE value, which means it probably changes wildly from frame to frame.

So it's terrible.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 02:46:59 pm »

See the "Glass raws" topic, where I did some memory hacking to determine the physical properties of the 3 types of glass.

Also, there are 5 trap components: menacing spikes, giant axe blades, serrated discs, spiked balls, and enormous corkscrews.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 03:32:24 pm »

Having done exactly this with my legendary glassworker last game, I can confirm that they are terrible. Basically useless.

Once every couple hundred attacks they'll lop off a hand or arm or something, but most of the time they do zip, aside from training the goblins to be really good trap dodgers.  >:(

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 03:34:04 pm »

Exception being glass cages for cage traps. Those are just as effective as adamantine ones; IOW, 100% effective.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 03:36:26 pm »

As a note, I can't advise using glass saw blades for training your own troops. If what the prior poster said about the raws being uninitialized, then once every few hundred attacks the disk will simply slice straight through one of your trainees, relieving them of some otherwise useful appendage or piercing a vital organ.

jerank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 03:39:14 pm »

Is there a way to make glass horrible against armor, but lethal to anyone in anything weaker then chainmail? Glass does shatter easily, but the edge it can take should make it sheer through stuff like leather without even slowing down.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 03:46:00 pm »

Because the glass raws are currently hard coded (they don't exist in a raw file), you cannot modify them.

At best you could create a new "metal" made from raw glass, that has whatever characteristics you've defined, that then gets processed into objects via a new workshop (or new reactions in a vanilla workshop). But the material would be considered a metal for the purposes of the categories in which it gets stockpiled.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 04:12:02 pm »

Obsidian is supposed to work like that... 20000 maximum edge (compared to 100000 for adamantine, 10000 for most metals, 1000 for many other things) but only the material strengths of the  stone template.
Disappointingly, you can't make functioning obsidian weapons (rock swords become wooden swords)... and even if you could, arena testing implies that it wouldn't be very good, armour or no armour.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 04:25:08 pm »

Actually, the obsidian swords are named wrong, but function fine.  I had an adventurer cleave through enemies wildly with a masterwork obsidian 'ashen shortsword'.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 05:37:50 pm »

Glassmakers are extremely useful if you abuse cage traps or get one at the start and haven't got a full metalworking industry for proper weapon traps yet.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 05:42:31 pm »

The huge problem with cage traps is, although powerful, managing them becomes a very large time commitment unless you just smash them.  Lethal traps are MUCH better, although there is risk they won't kill whatever it coming.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 05:43:36 pm »

Glass weapons work fine against unarmored opponents or mounts.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 05:47:11 pm »

In my testing the serrated discs didn't work too well, you might have better luck with the spiked balls though since they do a different type of damage.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 05:52:42 pm »

In my current fort I have a 3x10 field of weapon traps each with 10x serrated glass disks in them. Not a single animal or unarmored enemy has passed over them in 5 years without dying.

And anyone that does get past them is caught in the 3x10 field of green glass cage traps.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5