Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Tribes: Ascend  (Read 6228 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes: Ascend
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2011, 12:19:27 pm »

Yeah, I was playing on that yesterday. I think I hate this game, though. Especially how heavies can literally rocket across the map at speeds 10x+ of what fucking fightercraft can pull off.
Love it or hate it, it is one of the things that defines Tribes.
EDIT: I might also add that you can't even kill a light with a headshot from the sniper rifle(let aim the damn thing)
Hit detection is unusual in this game, but once you figure it out it is perfectly consistant(unlike most multiplayer games), where you shoot will always be the same proper spot depending on the target's angle and velocity.
and that people can see right through your cloak.
Hardware graphics vs software graphics, people like to use that as an exploit. Shame they never fixed that.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 02:26:59 pm »

There were some noob cloakers last night on Blastside I was butchering by watching for dust from their footsteps and wearing a sensor jammer pack, which decloaks people. And they fixed the hardware/software cloaking exploit WAY back, iirc.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 03:27:50 pm »

My main problem with sniping is that mouse sensitivity is maintained while zooming in, meaning aiming is extremely jerky, especially at the highest zoom levels.

By the way, who likes AA turrets? I try to replace the standard plasma turrets with them as much as I can.
There were some noob cloakers last night on Blastside I was butchering by watching for dust from their footsteps and wearing a sensor jammer pack, which decloaks people. And they fixed the hardware/software cloaking exploit WAY back, iirc.
Was I on then? Because that might have been me. Dust from footsteps... I guess that means cloaks are only useful indoors or when standing still. The sensor jammer might be better for stealth.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 05:31:30 pm »

I think your main problem is starting out with some very difficult battlefield roles (offensive sniping, cloaked assassin) without first grasping the main jet-infantry role.

The sensor jammer is good for stealth if you're dealing with a lot of radar-based defenses, like turrets. It also prevents you from getting an enemy tag when an enemy pulse sensor has you in range. Check the circle around your compass bearing. If it is green, you're in friendly sensor. Red, you're in enemy sensor. Yellow, you're in jamming, no color, you're in radar dead-space or out of range. Not a lot of people use it, although it can effectively keep you off the enemy sensor net if you avoid visual detection (which always throws a triangle over your head). It is also nice on a bomber or APC, since when active it throws a jamming bubble around everyone near you, keeping the missiles away unless visually detected.

Cloaking is still quite possible on the ground, the secret is to constantly jump, or possibly ski. Hitting someone blind while cloaked at full tilt with a shocklance in the back is tremendously satisfying. However cloaking seriously reduces your ability to burn your jets, so I recommend waiting until you master basic light armor tactics before trying it.

Basic light armor for a newbie (and most pros) is as follows.

Chaingun: engaging airborne or same-plane targets.
Spinfusor: engaging grounded or soon-to-be targets.
Grenade Launcher: engaging clusters of ground targets.
Energy Pack: defending yourself with maneuver
Flare Grenade: defending yourself from missiles
Mine: dropping on enemy inventory stations just to be a jackass

Until you get reasonably capable in Peltast armor with an energy pack and understand skiing, proper use of the spinfusor and game mechanics, trying anything else is going to be an uphill learning curve. If you find the super-athletic style of outdoor fighting impossible to grasp, switch to medium or heavy armor and defend the generator with a plasma gun and shield or repair pack. Or be a turret farmer. Or stand on the flag in heavy armor with an ELF gun just to be a tremendous bastard. Or see how many enemy lights forgot to bring flares with the missile launcher.

The options, they are so many. Tribes is like Team Fortress 2, if you could say you wanted the Demoman's grenade launcher and the Sniper's SMG with the Soldier's rocket launcher and the Medic's healing.

And lastly, AA turrets are nice, but I typically prefer ELF turrets for flag defense. Most players are too freaking fast for AA, but an ELF beam -will- hit anyone in range.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 12:50:56 pm »

More news from Rock Paper Shotgun

Quote from: RPS
Now I thought we had already posted about Tribes: Ascend being free-to-play. Perhaps it was simply in one of my prophetic game-news dreams, because I can’t find it. BUT ANYWAY, it is going to be free-to-play, and to celebrate that Hi-Rez have revealed the game in action. You can check it out below. It certainly looks like a new Tribes game to me, which is promising! Looking forward to playing this. I will be the dude at 0:26. (Although the wider picture makes Firefall look a lot more interesting.)

Tribes: Ascend is apparently out later this year at some point.

With a vidjya
A link in the vidjya goes to an IGN article

Some things I noticed: Holy shit
also... reloading? o_O interesting
Free to play? X_X
Free to play sounds nice, but this seems more like the kind of thing you buy off steam once then never pay again. Also, this means there won't be any mods? =/

Quote from: IGN
the two weapons they will be carrying
What the fuck? =/
In all the other Tribes games the number of weapons you had was determined by the armor you wore. Heavy armor allowed you to carry more weapons but some weapons like the laser rifle you couldn't use. I wonder what made them decide to only stick with 2 weapons for everyone. Balancing?

The free to play also means that you can't pick a customized loadout from an inventory screen then get that loadout at the nearest inventory station...

I don't know guys, this could be iffy.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:54:03 pm by OzyTheSage »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 10:49:47 pm »

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 06:09:36 am »

Free to play? X_X
Free to play sounds nice, but this seems more like the kind of thing you buy off steam once then never pay again.
[...]
The free to play also means that you can't pick a customized loadout from an inventory screen then get that loadout at the nearest inventory station...
See this:
Tribes: Ascend is following a model based closely on Riot's wildly successful League of Legends. Essentially, instead of buying champions, players will be buying "loadouts" for Tribes: Ascend, either with real money or a currency earned at a slower rate from playing matches. New loadouts will probably be regularly added, hopefully keeping things fresh.

:-\

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 06:52:49 am »

I'm too cheap-ass to set up a PayPal account or anything :P, so as long as that "a currency earned at a slower rate from playing matches" part stays true, i'll be fine.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 10:54:30 am »

You still can't customize your loadout from an inventory screen then get that loadout at an inventory station. You get presets (kinda like Tribes already came with) except now you can't even make your own or modify the presets at all.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 11:08:31 am »

IGN better be giving false information, or this lack of customization is going to be the nail in the coffin.

Not to say I had high hopes anyway, I figured whatever AAA game developer got their hands on this franchise would screw it up royally.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 11:51:43 am »

Actually, if they sell every possible combination of weapons et al as loadouts, it's essentially the same as being able to customize your loadout.

(But knowing how Hi-Rez are stupid retards, they would never do that. They like having control over what roles a player can have.)
Pages: 1 2 [3]