Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tribes: Ascend  (Read 6232 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tribes: Ascend
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:29:28 pm »

Rock Paper Shotgun
THEY BETTER NOT FUCK THIS ONE UP

SERIOUSLY!

I know I am getting way too hyped up over a video of panning around someone's armor... but... I've been waiting... I just -know- they are going to screw it up... but I just can't bear to think about that.

Additionally: Tribes Next is still free, for anyone who wants a taste of what I hope this game will be.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:53:56 pm by OzyTheSage »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes: Ascend
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:30:25 pm »

So, they're making two new tribes games?

http://www.tribesuniverse.com/
and
http://www.tribesascend.com/

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 03:32:34 pm »

??? Haven't heard of Tribes Universe until now...

INTRIGUING? o_o

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 04:20:37 pm »

Well, tribes universe is supposed to be a MMO similar to Global Agenda but with tribes gameplay... Tribes ascend... well, I have no idea.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »

Yeah, I just read about it, and the only thing I can say...

Oh god, my poor childhood is about to take another hit, I just know it :(

I never had the internet to play Tribes 2 online, well, until it was released for free, and even then just for a bit, but after reading an awesome article in a magazine I played the single player bot-matches almost religiously. Even as crippled as that, the game was incredible. They really better put a lot of freaking effort into this.

On a semi-related notice, what was the other Tribes-like game out there? I remember there being a video of some game, where players fight bugs, put down some sort of collector, defend it, then ride some ships to a base, then defend it from an attack... anyone know what I'm babbling about? It seemed really nice.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 07:10:28 pm »

On a semi-related notice, what was the other Tribes-like game out there? I remember there being a video of some game, where players fight bugs, put down some sort of collector, defend it, then ride some ships to a base, then defend it from an attack... anyone know what I'm babbling about? It seemed really nice.
Do you perhaps mean Firefall?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 07:11:26 pm »

That would be Firefall, which is what I was going to bring up. It's confusing, because Firefall has some of the guys that made the Tribes game working on it, and it's an MMO, but now apparently there's this Tribes Universe game coming out... whaaat.

Also, I am not alll that interested in Firefall considering it's not really a Tribes game. At least, it didn't seem anything like a Tribes game.

Tribes 2 online was great fun though. But one thing I really hope the preserve in this new game is everything.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 09:04:33 pm »

According to the devs in the forum Firefall is not a MMO. They didn't explain exactly why, but it sort of works like a mmo anyhow. I have high hopes for Firefall and I'm anxiously waiting for it.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 09:17:37 pm »

Oohh..
Perhaps it's a Dibalo-like thing then? I never played Diablo or Diablo 2 (I missed my chance, really) but from what I understand you could play with your character online or something.

Also, I think Firefall is going to be free?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 10:04:23 pm »

Yep, always free and they say the item shop will only sell awesome-ware (kinna like Toribash, perhaps?) and nothing unbalancing (don't they all say that?).

Well, it's not like diablo, as it is online only and players wont run their own servers. It will probably be more like a MMO TF2 sort of game. The most interesting feature is that armies (guilds/clans) have their own tech trees, similar to players, and so you can have very specialized groups of people.

Anyway, one of the firefall interviews: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61oO8BK_iOU

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:24:15 am »

Ah.. it's confusing indeed.

And I agree 100% with OzyTheSage's last sentence. Or even better, can't they release Tribes 2 HD, like Croteam did, and then do the Ascend, and try new stuff there. This way we can potentially hit the jackpot with the new game, and even if it flops unimaginably we still have the perfect Tribes 2, only in HD.

My poor dreams :(
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 12:07:23 pm »

I forgot to mention: I hope this game is as moddable or even more moddable than T2, it's a fact that if you get tired of playing the game one way a mod can completely change your experience with it and make the game last even longer.

I'm also hoping that the game is primarily designed for PC... and if they do release it on console, that they design the PC version for PC and the console version for a console. You know what I mean?

I also heard somewhere that this was releasing this year, though it was just some guy's comment. I'll have to search for more info and perhaps keep the OP updated.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 09:29:57 am »

Tribes has been mentioned in numerous discussions, so its the jumper cables for this thread.

First, a reminder to the uninitiated. www.tribesnext.com is the source of your 500 mb download of pure team-shooter joy.

Second, has anyone heard any details regarding what Ascend is going to be like, aside from OMGZTRIBES? I wonder if we're going back to the good old days of deployable sensor jammers and motion detectors that worked through walls, or if they'll ditch the totally awesome shocklance for some newfangled knife-lunge attack. Will I be able to put a red-dot on the armory rail of my Spinfusor? So many questions. So many answers.

Actually that's a trippy thought. Iron sights, inaccuracy and more momentum-based ground movement for Tribes. As a mod, I could totally go for that.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 10:09:30 am »

The RPG mod for Tribes is quite possibly my favorite game of all time.  I almost certainly have the most hours in it.

Too bad it's so ancient that it's pretty much not played any more.  Those were awesome times...
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 11:27:10 am »

The RPG mod for Tribes is quite possibly my favorite game of all time.
Why is it that RPG+FPS is such an awesome combo?  And why don't more companies take advantage of it?
UT2004 had an RPG mod that was wildly successful.
Borderlands, of course, was pretty damn successful, despite its shortcomings.
Apparently, there was that Tribes mod, although I wasn't much of a Tribes player at that time.  (Played Tribes Vengeance, the one built on the Unreal Engine 2, but that's about it -- though I'll be interested to see how this one pans out)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: [1] 2 3