Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tribes: Ascend  (Read 6229 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes: Ascend
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 11:31:47 am »

Tribes has been mentioned in numerous discussions, so its the jumper cables for this thread.

First, a reminder to the uninitiated. www.tribesnext.com is the source of your 500 mb download of pure team-shooter joy.

Second, has anyone heard any details regarding what Ascend is going to be like, aside from OMGZTRIBES? I wonder if we're going back to the good old days of deployable sensor jammers and motion detectors that worked through walls, or if they'll ditch the totally awesome shocklance for some newfangled knife-lunge attack. Will I be able to put a red-dot on the armory rail of my Spinfusor? So many questions. So many answers.

Actually that's a trippy thought. Iron sights, inaccuracy and more momentum-based ground movement for Tribes. As a mod, I could totally go for that.

Here's some screenshots of Ascend
http://kotaku.com/5800264/strap-on-a-jetpack-its-time-to-look-at-the-new-tribes-game/gallery/

They say that appears to be the new spinfusor, the developers have numerously stated though they want to keep it like oldschool epic tribes2 and whatnot.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 11:36:09 am »

The RPG mod for Tribes is quite possibly my favorite game of all time.
Why is it that RPG+FPS is such an awesome combo?  And why don't more companies take advantage of it?

PvP combat in it was awesome- good actual player skill could let you bring down someone who was much stronger than you ingame.  Dodging and jumping around was key.  I at one point made a mod of the mod that was just deathmatch melee combat- a nice way to hone your skills (as well as great fun.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 04:57:55 pm »

Tribes has been mentioned in numerous discussions, so its the jumper cables for this thread.

First, a reminder to the uninitiated. www.tribesnext.com is the source of your 500 mb download of pure team-shooter joy.
Trying to torrent that*, but it appears nobody is seeding. I don't feel like a direct download(crappy download manager, too big for regular Windows downloader), either.

*Four words beginning with the letter "t" in a row, my god.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Tribes: Ascend and TribesNext.com Fanboi Thread
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 05:52:34 pm »

DirectDown, maaaaaaaaan.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 07:37:59 pm »

Trying to torrent that*, but it appears nobody is seeding. I don't feel like a direct download(crappy download manager, too big for regular Windows downloader), either.

*Four words beginning with the letter "t" in a row, my god.

Too big for regular Windows downloader? What are you talking about?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 09:06:56 pm »

With my crappy connection, in the middle of downloading a file, the connection may drop, causing Windows to suddenly say the file is finished downloading(which it's not), and downloading again will only download as much as it got to the first time before saying it's done(clearing browser cache fixes this).
This is more problematic(and infuriating) when downloading larger files.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 09:22:20 pm »

Get better connection bro.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 09:24:55 pm »

With what money?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 09:29:05 pm »

Their facebook page has some interesting pictures including concept art of the Shrike, which looks almost like what a "shrike mk.II" would look like, plus the turbograv cycle 9what was it called? wildcat?), which looks quite different but still neat. (EDIT: Supposedly they have a forum but I've yet to find it)

Actually that's a trippy thought. Iron sights, inaccuracy and more momentum-based ground movement for Tribes. As a mod, I could totally go for that.

There was a mod for Tribes 2 called construction mod where you used game objects to build various things (kinda like Garry's Mod except the game actually allowed objeccts to scale so you could build proper buildings easily). A sub-mod called combat construction was made, allowing you to build your own bunkers and such, and afterwards people would fight it out. The sub-mod disabled jetpacks except on the heavy, which had very limited jetpacks, and the weapons were more conventional. Unfortunately movement didn't affect your aim, so it was sort of like Ace of Spades. There were pretty cool vehicles though, like a helicopter (just a shrike model) where the pilot got dumbfire rockets and the gunner had a machinegun turret mounted on the bottom.

I hope this game has good modding capability... seriously.

EDIT: Tribes 2 also had and in-game "tribes" system which basically gave every player their own player profile, private messaging system, and clans. I suppose it was similar to steam community. If you were in a tribe your tribe tags would appear in front of behind your name without you having to change it, and it displayed in different color so everyone knew it was a clan tag. I kinda doubt this new game would do anything like that though...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 09:35:17 pm by OzyTheSage »

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 09:58:17 pm »

With what money?

Get a job, bro.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2011, 08:33:43 am »

With what money?

Get a job, bro.

But then he won't have time to play Tribes!

Try maybe Free Download Manager, which has resume support. I'm not sure if it is 100% malware free, but I've used it.

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 08:45:25 am »

The RPG mod for Tribes is quite possibly my favorite game of all time.
Why is it that RPG+FPS is such an awesome combo?  And why don't more companies take advantage of it?

PvP combat in it was awesome- good actual player skill could let you bring down someone who was much stronger than you ingame.  Dodging and jumping around was key.  I at one point made a mod of the mod that was just deathmatch melee combat- a nice way to hone your skills (as well as great fun.)

Well...There goes me trying it. I lag on Australian servers, let alone the American ones. I keep hearing about this game, too, seems fun from what I've seen
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 09:54:22 am »

With what money?

Get a job, bro.

But then he won't have time to play Tribes!

Try maybe Free Download Manager, which has resume support. I'm not sure if it is 100% malware free, but I've used it.

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm
I was using FDM to download this. It sucks. It keeps stopping the download, and when it does that, my entire connection drops with it.

EDIT: By the way, I do have it installed. Lags like a bitch, although the only server I tried had only bots in it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:37:22 pm by Akura »

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2011, 07:07:27 pm »

Go to Goonhaven. It is usually populated (and unfortunately often the only one.)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2011, 07:11:47 am »

Yeah, I was playing on that yesterday. I think I hate this game, though. Especially how heavies can literally rocket across the map at speeds 10x+ of what fucking fightercraft can pull off.

EDIT: I might also add that you can't even kill a light with a headshot from the sniper rifle(let aim the damn thing) and that people can see right through your cloak.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:49:09 am by Akura »
Pages: 1 [2] 3