Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your favorite Dwarf.  (Read 1385 times)

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite Dwarf.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 02:01:26 pm »

Mistem Stockadejungles the Corridors of Paint is her current title. This dwarf started as a humble peasant immigrant, and was quickly drafted into the one marksdwarf squad to fight off the legions of carp infesting the rivers and pools around the fort. The other two dwarves in the squad, including the first Sheriff, were dragged under and killed by a group of vicious carp I ultimately suffocated by draining their pool.

This meant that when the orc siege came, Mistem was the only military dwarf I had. I locked down the fort and posted her at the entry shaft, noting that the orcs had no ranged troops, and that I had a good 500 crossbow bolts. She fired into the orc mobs and sent the few survivors running for the hills, and even killed a hammer lord in the process.

Then I noticed she had done all this with not one but two babies on her back. Two years or so later, she has twenty-nine notable kills and eight other kills, which I think is a record for my normally short-lived  military forces
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 02:44:32 pm »

Probably the mayor of my first ''proper'' fort (it was still bad). She was called Gaul, legendary in a couple of non-fighting skills. I thought she was pretty cool, for whatever reason.
Also, another female dwarf called Urist from the same fort, my first champion to get a title. Used a copper hammer to whoop a bunch of gobbos. She was always my favourite military dwarf.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 03:32:55 pm »

Urist Palacedaubed. She was a miner in one of my forts.

I got bored of the fort and decided to kill off all the dwarves in a small tunnel for my magma furnaces. It was still filling. Well, she got a small injury and decided to rest it off. The gates to the tunnel were still open, so I had the mayor close them. He managed to get back in before they actually closed. All that was left was the mayor, but I saw it said "Idlers:2" at the top so I investigated and saw Urist chillin' in the meeting room. Mayor died. Urist was awesome.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 03:58:41 pm »

My now legendary bone carver Mosus Praisetorch. Following a failed experiment with magma pressurization, a large portion of the magma tunnel access tunnel was covered in lava, to a depth in places of 1/7. The experiment was easy to clean up, just needed to wait until the lava evaporated or cooled. So I did; went back to other work, continued training weapon-/armour-smiths up to legendary, throwing parties, decorating trade goods, etc. Then I noticed, while looking through the units list, that Mosus was hunting for vermin. Annoyed and curious, I zoomed in and discovered that she was cut off from the rest of the fortress by the aforementioned 1/7 magma. Being a hardcore altruist still, I immediately set to work digging her out, whereupon she rushed to the food and booze stockpiles. I hovered over her, making sure she survived, and let her go to bed unbothered. I looked over her preferences, made her a statue in the metal she preferred, and installed an artifact cabinet in her fully-engraved room, by way of apology, and for a while afterwards I went easy on her, reduced workload and never worrying about her going on break.

Edit: Other than Mosus, I'm fond of one of my champion marksdwarfs, who has probably the most kills around, and the multi-legendary brewer/cook/grower who feeds and boozes the fortress.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:00:45 pm by darthbob88 »

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 07:45:00 pm »

Without a doubt, my favorite non-military dwarf has to be my Clerk. He's my broker, manager and hoardmaster, a legendary Appraiser, Record Keeper, and Mason, and creator of my very first artifact to boot. His five closest friends are the five other surviving dwarves from embark, and literally every other dwarf in the fortress knows his name.

*raises ☼Dolomite mug☼ to Stukos Lakishkûbuk*

My military is a whole 'nother story entirely. Three two-dwarf squads of legendary wrestlers decked out in full steel; I can't decide which of them I like best, but Kol Rakustkulin Ikalurist Dumed has been around the longest, with her friend Stukos Mosusrulush Bâsendesgir in the "Fenced Routs", and she's got the highest kill count of any dwarf (thirty-five and counting, and she's never had so much as a scratch) so I'll go with her.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 08:30:06 pm »

Two of them.

1) Vabok Silverycrafted. After an accident in the first spring, he was one of three remaining starting dwarves (two miners and a cook). He soon became the new expedition leader, as the first one died in a fire.

In the first winter, my fortress was under attack by an Arcane Dragon. The bastard ran into my starting fortress and settled down in the dining room, trapping my dwarves in the kitchen. All except Vabok, who was doing some digging somewhere else. I ordered him to make an emergency tunnel while I distracted the dragon with some of my fresh migrants. Vabok was able to sneak up on the dragon and slay it with a pick to the head, though not before the other original miner perished. Vabok ended up marrying the other remaining dwarf of the starting seven, who became mayor after Vabok died in the Great Riot a few years later.

Spoiler: HFS (click to show/hide)
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 05:44:21 am »

I can just picture this slightly retarded dwarf with a sword cutting off the titan's head. 

He did not know fear.
or many other things for that matter.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: 1 [2]