Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What usually ruins your nicely planned layout for your fort?  (Read 5183 times)

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What usually ruins your nicely planned layout for your fort?
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2008, 10:41:32 am »

Quote from: John Johnston
Here's a couple of little tips I've noticed recently:

1) if you have a floor made of microcline (say - this is what I tested it with) you can build a wall over it out of phyllite (say).  When you remove the wall, the stone underneath will have magically transmogrified into a rough phyllite floor and can be smoothed and engraved.  It's a better but more time-consuming alternative to just building a block floor over the top.

Thanks, that's good to know.  My inner order freak hates to have those isolated tiles of microcline in the floor of a granite room.

To answer the topic, two things usually screw up my plans. 

First, I often fall victim to poor planning.  I nearly always make my stockpiles in the soil levels.  Later on when I make aboveground constructions, naturally I want a moat to go with my soaring castle walls.  However, I find that I can't dig my moat as deep as I want to, because it will intersect my booze stockpiles.

Second, gems and ore.  It's not that I don't like them, but I'm pathologically incapable of NOT mining them out when I see them.  This is profitable, but then it tarnishes the symmetry of my floorplan.  Sure, I can replace the mined-out area with constructed walls, but those look different.  This bothers me more than it should.  Functionally, it's exactly the same as if I'd never mined it out in the first place, but I KNOW IT'S THERE.  Auugh!

Silfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2008, 11:32:06 am »

Smooth your rough stone walls. Then they will look the same as constructed walls.

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2010, 08:49:34 am »

Smooth your rough stone walls. Then they will look the same as constructed walls.
But... He'll stll KNOW, man!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2010, 11:15:47 am »

After I remove all the ramps on my initial level, I've often found myself cursing at myself.

Urist McScaredypants cancels fish: Interupted by cougar on other z-level.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2010, 11:21:55 am »

But... He'll stll KNOW, man!

Holy necro, Batman. This topic was a year and a half dead.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2010, 01:14:47 pm »

Like most, I have occasional moat problems, which I usually solve by either a) building farms and stockpiles with an eye towards putting a moat around them, or b) dig down two levels before building farms and stockpiles, to minimize the amount of materiel that could be disturbed by a moat.

My other big problem is veins and clusters appearing in my halls, workshops, and especially magma/water pipes. They don't usually force me to move things, but they force me to work around them until my miners are skilled enough to mine them out without destroying them. Veins running through bedroom complexes are actually pretty nice; dig them out, put a few beds or some chairs and tables in, and you've got a pretty kickass living or eating space.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2010, 01:34:36 pm »

What usually messes me up?

Urist udilgeshud has died of starvation!
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2010, 01:37:18 pm »

The complexity, and my symmetry-freakyness.

I find out that there's one tile too less or too much in the middle of digging things out, aargh.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2010, 02:38:14 pm »

Accidentally messing up my fractal bedrooms by one tile.

Also, operation Move House was a nightmare from the get go.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2010, 11:14:48 pm »

For me, it's always the screwy building mechanics for designated walls.  There are so many places in my current fort where you can tell I had to go out of my way to dig a hole such that a wall could be built in such a way that the only accessible tile does not get my dwarf stuck.

Worse yet, I've been working on a magma tower trap design, but because dwarves LOVE to build from the west or north first, the north-western side of the tower has a bunch of floors sticking out of it that had to be placed to give my dwarves an escape route when they were done building.  I can't even remove the floors because - guess what - the dwarves try to go to the west or north of the floor to remove it (even worse because they can attack from diagonals), which always ends up with them getting stuck in the exact place I had intended to keep them from getting stuck in by placing the floor in the first place.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2010, 08:35:40 am »

Usually the realization that there's not enough soil for farms left. Now I'm art a flat land so that problem won;t arise in this fort.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2010, 12:19:42 pm »

My latest fort, I generated a world with less erosion, because I wanted a fort built into a sheer cliff-face. Bedrooms, in the cliff face with windows (fortifications for commoners, gems windows for nobles) looking out over the valley below. A drawbridge leading to the main entrance halfway up the cliff face, and the workshops deep inside the mountain.

I embarked on a two-biome site. A mountainous one in an inverted u shape and a forested one a dozen levels below. My wagon was in the midddle of the map, perched at the top of the inverted u, half a dozen levels above the brook running along the left of the u. The cliff is more of a 45 degree slope, but that can be fixed, right?

So I started digging my auxiliary entrance and main staircase down. On the second level down: "Urist McDigger cancels dig: damp rock detected." Already my design of a square column of staircases was broken. Further down I hit four more aquifers on different levels. All in slightly different positions. There is one level between aquifers that seems dry, but the whole design needs a complete rethink. After carving away the cliff face there'll be something like a 5 tile wide habitable zone.

I suppose it'll be easy to get a waterfall in my dining room, if only I can work out where the draining water will go without flooding my valley.

Also: bituminous coal aquifer.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]