Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What usually ruins your nicely planned layout for your fort?  (Read 5186 times)

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Re: What usually ruins your nicely planned layout for your fort?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008, 11:51:55 pm »

Adamantine... In my stairwell.

And now that I can avoid that with the map reveal, ore veins.

Buugipopuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 06:18:23 am »

i wuld never do that! what can be better than a diamond within the bedroom wall? make sure your best engraver engraves it and have a verry royal bedrom with verry low effort. much more valuable for me than a single diamond.

This actually loses you room value.  Engravings done on gems in the walls are worth 10*Gem Value Modifier*Quality Modifier.  If you mine out the diamond, encrust the bed of the room it was going to be in with it, it increases the value by 10*Gem Value Modifier*Quality Modifier and you can make a block wall in the gap, giving you an extra 5-15 for stone blocks or more if you've got precious metal to waste making metal blocks or if you've got some valuable soap which, surprisingly, makes perfectly good walls and can be worth more than platinum.  What you really want to do is design the room so that the entire gem cluster lies in the floor, because then you get the 10*Gem Value Modifier*Quality Modifier from the gem you mine out and you get the value again when you engrave the floor.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 07:49:33 am »

Wait, you can build walls out of soap?

Buugipopuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 08:27:08 am »

Yup.  And charcoal.  Anything that's classified as a "block" is a valid construction material.  I hear that soap is actually the best choice for making high-value roads.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 08:41:53 am »

Yup.  And charcoal.  Anything that's classified as a "block" is a valid construction material.  I hear that soap is actually the best choice for making high-value roads.
it should be nice a soap road specialy if it is raining :D
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

!Pbhead!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 03:52:20 pm »

it should be nice a soap road specialy if it is raining :D

An elevated, wet soap road... hehe... see if those elves carrying large animals on top of donkeys can get over THAT.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 08:48:55 pm »

soap is a *base* 25, times the modvalue (1 for hoary marmots, 50 for dragons) basically any  really large predator makes 5-10 blocks worth more than platinum blocks

elephants, and many other less fatty animals are decent at 75 per block
unicorn tallow makes 250, which is worth more than platinum
dragon tallow makes 1250, and is one of the few actually worth making a soap industry to exploit

note that soap making requires:
sand(to start), lye(from wood or trade) and tallow

1 tallow and 1 lye make 1 block, but the lye must be moved from a bucket to barrel
(i don't know what task makes em do it)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2008, 02:47:46 am »

Finding out that the bedrooms are not big enough. Or that my hallways are too small. Or the staircase. Also there was one time when I was channeling some water for a moat-well and then found out that it led right next to my bedrooms. Good thing I placed a floodgate somewhere there when I was trying to save a tailor who tried to kill himself :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2008, 03:49:58 am »

Ore veins mostly.

They screw up my plans enormously because I have an addiction of digging the whole thing out... which leaves a long and completely useless rough and ugly pathway halfway through the mountain.
There's just so little you can do with it. You can't make rooms from them and it's too ugly for a hallway.

The loooooong and ugly roaaaad. (That leads to nowhere...).
Dwarves: Death from Below!

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2008, 04:58:13 am »

Here's a couple of little tips I've noticed recently:

1) if you have a floor made of microcline (say - this is what I tested it with) you can build a wall over it out of phyllite (say).  When you remove the wall, the stone underneath will have magically transmogrified into a rough phyllite floor and can be smoothed and engraved.  It's a better but more time-consuming alternative to just building a block floor over the top.

2) you can similarly build a wall over an engraving you don't like, then remove the wall and re-do the engraving.  A good way to get uniform engravings, but again more time-consuming, and comes with the caveat that destroying masterwork engravings may be undesirable.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2008, 05:09:24 am »

engraved native gold floor everywhere :D
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2008, 05:18:04 am »

I can't plan.
I have OCD over stone waste.
This means my forts tend to be rambling, organic messes in the soil level with a few rooms carved from stone when it turns up.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

sjmarshy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008, 05:48:31 am »

Normally, its my own stupidity, lack of planning or lack of knowledge of how to do specific things, all of which I am slowly but surely curing with dwarffortresswiki and hovering about on this forum.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2008, 08:48:37 am »

FPS .. nobody mentioned this before, but most of the time its gamespeed that kills the mood for me.
or goblin ambushers

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2008, 08:55:16 am »

many times my fortress was ruined by a new better idee to do, so it wasen't really ruined but abandoned by me and let like a poor regionN directory in data/save/ :D
Mohreb el Yasim

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4