Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Oil  (Read 4255 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Oil
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2010, 01:02:27 pm »

Right stone needs the touch of a massive pick used by the gentle but yet strong hands of dwarfs! Anyway "oil" was the theme. Since a oildeposit would be a liquid clowncar should there be oil-clowns?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2010, 04:52:10 pm »

Underground reserves of petroleum being exploited by dwarves to make fantastic flaming moats of doom strikes me as a bit... steampunky.

The vegetable oil suggestion does not, particularly when you consider most vegetable oils come from oil seeds, which Armok knows we have enough lying around by the time our fortress matures. I would rather like to see dwarves gathering up pigtail-seed and grinding it down into fuel for lanterns (when lighting becomes a requirement in the depths), oil-cauldron traps built over a hole in the floor (lever or plate activated), flaming arrows and furniture polishing. Of course this requires something of a 'fire arc' (including firefighting!).

True petroleum wouldn't be bad as a limited resource, like a magma pool, if you encountered it inside the underground layers. Dwarves exploring a watery cavern might notice one pool has a film of oil on it (causing mass hilarity fun when a torchbearing dwarf takes a drink), then dig around to find an absolute lake of the stuff. It could then be hauled or pumped like anything else. However I would caution against discussing 'flood the world' hillarity fun, as I doubt Toady would want that sort of thing cropping up again. I see the need for flammable oil or an alchemy and cooking ingredient, not refining operations and desiel-fired water boilers.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2010, 12:25:48 am »

Yeah, traps, weapons, cooking, and something i probably forgot should be about as much as the dwarves can do with oil IMO.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]