Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Oil  (Read 4245 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Oil
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 01:08:19 am »

Yes but I'm sure marketing told them that Canola oil would sell better than "Rape Oil"

Hexus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 01:11:29 am »

Of course striking oil should be messy, with serious upward force.

Urist McFloaty Cancels Dig: Impacting ceiling due to force of oil strike

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 01:33:49 am »

Yes but I'm sure marketing told them that Canola oil would sell better than "Rape Oil"

LOL yeah I bet 4chan would have a field day with rape oil canisters..
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 08:01:59 am »

Of course striking oil should be messy, with serious upward force.

Urist McFloaty Cancels Dig: Impacting ceiling due to force of oil strike

I always did wonder why that force exists..is the stuff pressurized underground because of depth?

Of course this would only mean that dwarven engineering is needed.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 09:16:38 am »

Well if stuff rots in airtight space you get many gasses (Methan, Ethan gas as well as co2 etc.) which creates a pressure in the field. Normaly oil-production knows 3 phases.

1. The oil wells up thanks to the natural gasses pressure. if the Gas pressure gets to low you have to go to phase 2 and 3.
2. Water is pumped down to replace the oil
3. Injection of Co2, steam, polymeres, chemicals and/or microbs 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:28:58 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 10:12:54 am »

I have to say, that for game that puts this much effort to rocklayers, veins etc. it is a surprise there is no oil.
I'm pretty sure that that's just a direct result of Toady not wanting to add another fluid until he can model them with a general method.  As I recall it, though, the main problem with multiple liquids was how to model them mixing (which wouldn't be a problem atm with oil.)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 10:18:47 am »

That and that the Liquids anyway need a full rewrite so adding other liquids now could make a rewrite a bit more complicated.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 10:23:13 am »

Well if stuff rots in airtight space you get many gasses (Methan, Ethan gas as well as co2 etc.) which creates a pressure in the field. Normaly oil-production knows 3 phases.

1. The oil wells up thanks to the natural gasses pressure. if the Gas pressure getto low you have to got to phase 2 and 3.
2. Water is pumped down to replace the oil
3. Injection of Co2, steam, polymeres, chemicals and/or microbs 

Not to forget that an anticline is needed to trap all these gases and oil. I'd really dig proper 3d geology features instead of the basic random approximations we have now.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2010, 10:30:49 am »

Well how many games exist that try atleast to get this stuff right? From my pov the current modell is sufficient and can be expanded later.

Proud to be a Furry.

Malrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2010, 03:35:51 pm »

I've always wanted to make an oil-drilling expedition for a fort.

I don't think toxic gasses are a good idea, because we'd have to design forts to have good ventilation, plus it'd get complicated when we use gas pressures and different chemicals.

The town of Tisdale in Saskatchewan is still called "The land of Rape and Honey." Go buy yourself an -Alunite Mug- with that motto on it, for the lulz.

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2010, 08:40:57 am »

It should be noted also that the oil is more often than not in the pores of a rock, not a free fluid, so it would act more like a finite-aquifer under pressure. Though the force of expulsion would depend on what resovoir it was, the tight resovoirs are still economically un-exploitable in the real world due to the difficulty of getting oil to emerge through the low-porocity rock.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2010, 02:44:03 pm »

1) It would be extracted from plants like, say, canola. Say, Just enough to cover a tile from 10 canola bunches, 20 bunches for 1/7, 40 for 2/7, 60 for 3/7 and so on up until 140 bunches of canola to produce a tile full of Canola oil. (Obviously, this is waaay less efficient than oil.)

I would like to point out there is no such thing as a canola plant...

Canola stands for CANada Oil Less Acid.

I believe the plant you are looking for is rapeseed.
that may be true but one of my teachers is a canola breeder and he calls them canola plants all the time.
The great game of Warlocks!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 05:02:06 pm »

Well how many games exist that try atleast to get this stuff right? From my pov the current modell is sufficient and can be expanded later.
Of course, we're spoiled :p . Although I'm not even asking for proper tectonic process in worldgen, just to adapt the 2d veins to a 3d world. It would be useful to rawify the mathematical formula of the veins early, so the community can experiment a bit.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Fadrion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2010, 12:46:47 pm »

I don't know if anyone has thought of this or not but i think with the introduction of oil could come an advancement in the level of technology. Namely mobile mechanical constructions, possibly something like a digging machine that clears 3 tiles out side by side at a time

like this:     m=machine   r=rock    f=floor

r  r r r  r
               r  r r r  r
               r mmm r
               r mmm r
               r f f f f r
               r f f f f r

Other machines are possible ofcourse, and as for the time period accuracy, plz remember this is a fantasy, and in most myths of dwarves they were much more advanced than humans of the time, using steam technology and other power sources to do incredible things

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2010, 12:52:14 pm »

I don't know if anyone has thought of this or not but i think with the introduction of oil could come an advancement in the level of technology. Namely mobile mechanical constructions, possibly something like a digging machine that clears 3 tiles out side by side at a time

like this:     m=machine   r=rock    f=floor

r  r r r  r
               r  r r r  r
               r mmm r
               r mmm r
               r f f f f r
               r f f f f r

Other machines are possible ofcourse, and as for the time period accuracy, plz remember this is a fantasy, and in most myths of dwarves they were much more advanced than humans of the time, using steam technology and other power sources to do incredible things
Maybe one day in a mod, but toady has pretty much said he doesn't like steampunk or steam-driven tech in his dwarf fortress.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4