Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Oil  (Read 4244 times)

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oil
« on: January 25, 2010, 11:25:06 am »

How about adding oil to the game as a underground resource? Oil could have many uses:

-It could be a coal substitute (I am no expert in metalurgy so if thats unrealistic cut it ^^ )
-it could be used in traps that make fires
-flasks of burning oil!
-it could make cloth, items and so forth in alchemy labs
-tar blocks could be created as a byproduct of alchemy, to be used in road-building
-it would create poisoned tiles where it seeped (=evaporated) into soil. Nothing would grow there again.
-add a kind of dirt to creatures that makes them burn faster and hotter
-create lots of smoke while burning to obscure vision
-flames from burning oil could be higher then 1 Z level, making interesting traps possible

The stuff could be transported in barrels or vials and it would be available in pools or pipes (representing small and large oil fields. I am sure there are more possibilities, but I have little time to brainstorm because I am at work ^^

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:46:04 am »

This is an Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene cabinet. On it is an image of dwarves in PolyMethyl Methacrylate. The Dwarves are cross-linking PolyEthylene.

Oil-related disasters through the fort would be fun, Would you know if the last tile you were about to dig out had an oil reservoir behind it?

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 11:48:57 am »

How about adding oil to the game as a underground resource? Oil could have many uses:

-It could be a coal substitute (I am no expert in metalurgy so if thats unrealistic cut it ^^ )
-it could be used in traps that make fires
-flasks of burning oil!
-create lots of smoke while burning to obscure vision

These would be good, I think.  Oil coke could be another alchemy product, the stuff would be gathered in barrels - possibly at a special pump job.

-tar blocks could be created as a byproduct of alchemy, to be used in road-building

These, however, represent a level of technological understanding that is not in-period.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 11:50:11 am »

Once actual light/dark is in, I want oil lanterns.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:53:53 am »

About making plastic out of oil: Well its alchemy and its dwarves, maybe they know how its done. If not, that works for me too. It would certanly give some use to the alchemy shop :)

and yes I didnt even think about lighting. Of course you would use it for that purpose as well.

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:58:03 am »

Oil-related disasters through the fort would be fun, Would you know if the last tile you were about to dig out had an oil reservoir behind it?

Oil could be surrounded by some squares of slick or oily stone/soil to indicate it, I guess. Its kind of neccessary to indicate it somehow. You could also find oil shale near a oil reservoir.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 12:00:18 pm »

I certainly think that there should be the facility FOR MODS to allow oil to be used for plastic production. Personally I would find it strange for 'Vanilla'.

Probably ties in to using collected liquids at workshops, which presumably is not supported well (at all?) at the minute?

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:28:09 pm »

Oil-related disasters through the fort would be fun

Urist McProspector cancels pump Oil Aquifer: World on fire
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 01:18:20 pm »

I certainly think that there should be the facility FOR MODS to allow oil to be used for plastic production. Personally I would find it strange for 'Vanilla'.

Probably ties in to using collected liquids at workshops, which presumably is not supported well (at all?) at the minute?

I can agree on palstics being mod only stuff, but I tihnk if you could work with oil at all you coudl already mod that, I am just not sure if you could do the oil -> plastic change. You dont want to end up with oil thrones ^^

As for using liquids in workshops, a step in that direction could be a analogous labor to sand gathering called oil gathering wich uses buckets instead of bags.

WünderBröt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 01:27:21 pm »

I can agree on palstics being mod only stuff, but I tihnk if you could work with oil at all you coudl already mod that, I am just not sure if you could do the oil -> plastic change. You dont want to end up with oil thrones ^^

As for using liquids in workshops, a step in that direction could be a analogous labor to sand gathering called oil gathering wich uses buckets instead of bags.

Oil gathering should require barrels, in my opinion. Buckets just don't seem right.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 02:11:09 pm »

I'd be all for barrels (or metal cauldrons) of boiling oil that you could pour on invaders as they came through the gates, or pitch that you could set up and light with flaming crossbow bolts.

In general, more fire and death would be nice.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 11:59:48 pm »

Oil would make things rather Fun. Especially when combined with magma.

Of course, this means we'd have to have tar pits as well. The smoke could be an epic finger to the elves.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 02:57:16 am »

heheheh tar pits...

Would be a great addition.
Unable to swim in it...

Damn.
now i want a oil moat then just drop 1/7 of magma onto one oil tile...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 03:47:46 am »

So oil would be like magma thats on fire that you can carry around in buckets and barrels if you want?  I support this feature. 

Being able to produce plastic would be kindof strange though. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

El-Ravager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 06:51:37 am »

Well I think oil should be a liquid like water in its normal state, but once it gets in contact with any fire from whatever source, the oil that has empty space next to it should burn up and become heated. This burning should not happen too quickly thou, since it would require empty space (=air) to continue. Burning should consume 1/7 Oil per tile per X moves, dunno how much would be realistic.

Theres a lot still to address here thou:
There is no mixing liquids right now I think, but mixing oil and waterr should create a 4th liquid called oily water or whatever, wich should burn when exposed to fire and be deadly to whoever drinks/swims in it.

Tied in to that is the question what will happen if water is used to put out a oil fire. I think the water should be consumed and be turned into a lot of steam and smoke. I am unsure what magma poured in should do thou besides start a fire. It would make no sense for it to vanish.

Adding oil without the ability to use heat in more ways seems a waste. There should be more stuff, for example heating water for bathes, heating oil for sige defense, sige engine ammo that burns, oil lamps, the works.

One would also realistically need to be able to assign barrels to be for either food use or oil use because even dwarves are unliely to survive drinking or eating food from barrles that used to contain oil.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4