Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A Curious (and unlikely) Problem  (Read 3358 times)

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
Re: A Curious (and unlikely) Problem
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 12:10:06 am »

make a Forrest fire and draft them all to the military and station them outside and watch them burn is pretty fun.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2009, 12:30:36 am »

Using a hack program to stage a civil war would be pretty awesome imo

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 02:00:27 am »

Draft a dwarf who has no fighting skills, preferably one who hates certain very easy to find vermin. Station him in a room with a bunch of levers and a food stockpile (no booze, but instead a water flow, not a well) set to only include raw foods (plump helmets, etc.). Set these items to not be cooked, so you don't accidentally take them from the stockpile to cook them. Lock him in, and have a glass window looking into a room where the guy's pets are placed. Kill the pets.

Trap the vermin that he hates, add them into an animal stockpile. Don't give him a bed. Make sure everything is of the lowest quality: Doors, levers, barrels, etc.

In the room will be dozens of levers that will be wired up to several small traps throughout the fortress. And by small, I mean things that will not outright kill your dwarves, but may injure them, or kill only one or two at a time.

As a few good examples:

Menacing spikes in the grand hall.
Reroute magma/water to personal bedrooms.
Cave-in at a workshop or food/booze stockpile.
Release megabeasts from cages in the fortress' zoo.
Stones on floor hatches, to be dropped on unsuspecting dwarves below (grand hall or bedrooms preferably)
Use screw-pumps to ensure single-tile magma streams down the grand hall.

Use your imagination for anything else.

Try to piss this one dwarf off as much as possible, and when he finally breaks, if he berserks, he will pull any or all of the levers randomly. Watch the chaos unfold amidst your fortress. Any survivors are likely to be caught in the fallout of a massive tantrum spiral.

Watch the fireworks.

If the dwarf doesn't berserk or instead goes mad or melancholy, drag another dwarf down there.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:08:57 am by Tally »

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2009, 03:23:20 am »

Build a support on top of a support on top of a support etc. till you're above the highest ground tile. Build a floor the covers that entire Z-level. Destroy bottom support. Makes for a nice loud end  :P.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 08:41:23 am »

My advice would be to not destroy the fort, but to save it. Then install a fresh copy of DF and add the Dig Deeper Mod.

The game will be fun again.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2009, 12:28:18 pm »

For those building destroyer beasts out there, create isolated pockets of magma in various places around your fortress that are only held back by forbidden doors and the like. Make sure the doors are not magma proof so even a single wayward thief can trigger the magma torrent.
This is easier and (so I would like to think) more inconspicuous when using pressurized magma under floor hatches. Also known as the Dwarven Magma Landmine.

Stones on floor hatches, to be dropped on unsuspecting dwarves below (grand hall or bedrooms preferably)
It won't work. Currently, only creatures damage other creatures when falling. Items have no effect. So replace the stone with a kitten (which happens to be 15 levels higher) or some other creature.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Trintignant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2009, 02:08:35 am »

It won't work. Currently, only creatures damage other creatures when falling. Items have no effect. So replace the stone with a kitten (which happens to be 15 levels higher) or some other creature.

That won't work, either.  Creatures dropped on top of other creatures results in neither creature receiving injuries.  Of course, if it's a sufficiently dangerous creature like, say, a dragon, you could still achieve a desirable outcome, i.e. the death of the offending creature.
Pages: 1 2 [3]