Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A Curious (and unlikely) Problem  (Read 3364 times)

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me fall on you...
    • View Profile
A Curious (and unlikely) Problem
« on: December 27, 2009, 09:40:04 am »

So I have a bit of an uncommon issue...I've been playing on the same fortress for nearly 13 in-game years and I'm looking for bit of a change (this after scribbling various designs for new and Fun fortresses). The problem is...after pissing off elves, humans, goblins and megabeasts alternatively over the course of the last five years, I've been unable to lose...

The Setting: My fortress is placed in a flat woodland bordered by mountains in the north and east, it started out as a "hole-in-the-ground" design that I later expanded into a full-blown castle with adjacent magma vent. I have 230 dwarves (pop cap is at 200, but about 50 of the 230 are children) 50 of which are in the military which consists of half-marksdwarves, half melee champions. The castle wall is breached in three places with drawbridges over a water moat, two of which usually remain closed, leaving a main entrance which is typically guarded by three champion marksdwarves at a time from the top of the fortified wall. None of the dwarves are anything less than content and all the creature comforts have been established...even to the point of creating a huge 2 z-level room creating the effect of "islands" amidst an ocean of magma upon which the major families of the fortress are entombed...

The Problem: Obviously most of you are thinking "Duh, just abandon the fortress!" But as I'm sure you can understand, as this is the best fortress I've been able to build to date...I want to see it go down in a blaze of glory Fun! Optimally from invading nations. So far the fortress has been impregnable from a huge amount of cage/stone-fall/weapon traps I've laid, but I'm shortly going to tear them all down to make myself more vulnerable. The question I'm putting to all you brilliant minds out there is: Any imaginative and hilarious ways I can squeeze more Fun out of it?

(I'd post screenshots, however since I'm still a bit of a forum scrub I'm unsure of how to take them/put them up here.)
Speaking of which, how is fire in the new version?
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

metaliturtle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: A Curious (and unlikely) Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 09:56:12 am »

What a great time to invent a magma cannon!

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 11:05:06 am »

Do you have Adamantite? Unleash the clowns!

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 11:29:34 am »

At this point, invaders aren't going to be able to kill you. Once you have a few champions they can destroy anything the enemy will throw at you, and it sounds like this fort has been going on for ages so your champions are probably incredibly high level.

You could just hose the place with magma.
This is to make me recognizable.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 11:37:03 am »

It's really easy to make an impregnable fort (heck, a simple drawbridge and moat can do that!).

My suggestion: Take down all the traps, never replace your military losses, and always keep a path open to the outside.  Eventually you might get bowmen or bowelves on cowardly horses - those guys are really dangerous and difficult to kill, because the moment you get near, they shoot you and their horses run away.

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 12:34:15 pm »

Hmm, I like that idea Astramancer...death by attrition. And yeah, out of my 37 champions, the marksdwarf champions have a combined rate-of-fire that would give an M16 a run for its money. The one reason I don't want to put it all in a big magma shower is because I'd like to explore it all later with Reclaim or Adventure Mode.

Thanks guys!
out of personal experience, where a dwarf was set alight by a magmaman, ran up 150 flights of stairs, and divebombed into the booze stockpile, I'd have to say fire is the same as always.

shadowsofwhite

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:moustache] Steam ID: TheHengeProphet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 12:41:35 pm »

Alternatively, you could go the route of the epic tantrum spiral! Find the most liked dwarves with the widest networks of friends, and lock them outside during a siege! Charge them with the defense of the fortress. After they die, neglect to bury their corpses, and limit your booze to only one type. You should have some FUN on your hands soon enough.
Dev-status:
Drakelings: Dev halted indefinitely.
Illithids: Dev halted indefinitely.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 12:51:30 pm »

Dump your food supplies into the magma.  Also works with booze on a map without water.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 12:55:30 pm »

Alternatively, dump magma into your food&booze supply.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 12:56:18 pm »

I think you've reached the point where you're obligated to build a water cannon and magma cannon facing each other over the main entrance. Turn them both on and rain obsidian down upon your foes. Won't really contribute to the death of your fortress, but it sure looks cool.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Radivnal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 01:19:28 pm »

I think you've reached the point where you're obligated to build a water cannon and magma cannon facing each other over the main entrance. Turn them both on and rain obsidian down upon your foes. Won't really contribute to the death of your fortress, but it sure looks cool.

Of all the crazed, diabolical schemes born in the minds of dwarvenkind...

*runs off to furiously scribble up designs*

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 02:13:55 pm »

Step 1: Open all entrances, station troops at them, create manager orders for several most vital fort functions.
Step 2: Remove all pausing/add an auto unpauser
step 3: Run the game
Step 4: Leave it running, return later
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 03:29:03 pm »

Use dwarf companion to create a zombie outbreak from within.  All deceased units become skeletal/zombie.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 12:49:49 pm »

Just turn off any compliance with export restrictions when trading and don't kill nobles.

Your dwarves will sell items prohibited for export, your nobles will punish them en masse, your dwarves will start tantruming and you will have a decent chance to get a tantrum spiral. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 03:51:43 pm »

Mod all your invaders to HFS status, or more.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2 3