Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 226990 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #915 on: February 07, 2024, 01:57:31 am »

Consider me in for Demonology!
Did you play Mafia before? Since you are struggling with anxiety, please be warned. This is about the worst activity for someone with anxiety that I can think of. You're better off watching The Ring whilst high on LSD.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 07, 2024, 04:29:52 am »

The base mafiakill is always Free.
Pretty reasonable in a multi-action game.

Directly quoting private chats is forbidden.
Yes I like this. Chat's are already powerful, quoting them makes them more so.

Personal priority
I did something like this with Puzzle Temple Panic: each person had a different priority number for each of four action types, so it balanced out. In a regular game, it's probably preferable to design the system to avoid paradoxes.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 07, 2024, 10:01:27 am »

Consider me in for Demonology!
Did you play Mafia before? Since you are struggling with anxiety, please be warned. This is about the worst activity for someone with anxiety that I can think of. You're better off watching The Ring whilst high on LSD.

Hahahaha.  Agreed.  Perfect comparison.  I think the only folks who find Mafia relaxing are the Steve Irwins of the world, the Crocodile Dundees.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vW54lAtldI
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: February 07, 2024, 09:52:52 pm »

RoseHeart has played Mafia before, and has also co-hosted before.

Also, Fallacy, I already implemented all of those changes into Demonology and more.  In addition to those changes, the AP system makes the base Mafiakill modular cost from 1-3, since Actions can differ based on their AP cost.  Plus, I think I made a good balance between having a solvable game and absolutely not wanting to claim things by having the Mafiakill use a new system Called Shots, where accurately guessing Player Roles makes the Mafiakill unstoppable and untraceable at the cost of failing if guessing wrong (Not Calling is valid, too.)

Additionally, there is literally never an issue with priority.  If two Actions take place (such as two zplayers stealing another Player's vote), both Actions would resolve as normal, with each Player receiving a vote, and the stealee having 0 votes (you cannot have -1 votes, obviously.)  Things like Roleblockers blocking each other would have neither Action blocked due to priority resolution (RNG blocking would be hella dumb, the Actions are happening simultaneously!)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: June 11, 2024, 09:01:26 pm »

While gardening today I thought of a strange mafia setup.

The king of the land wants to get his son/daughter married off, but is distrustful of the many available suitors hoping to marry into wealth and power. So he invites a few of them to a game to win his trust, and eliminate the un-trustworthy ones.

At the start of each day, every player (except the prince/ess) is given a challenge for the day, usually a post restriction. If they succeed, they get a point at the end of the day. Some powers probably manipulate points as well. You're told when you earn a point, but they're otherwise hidden.
If 2/3 or more of the initial players are dead, and one player has more points than everyone else, that player marries the prince/ess and the game ends!

Possible roles are:
Prince/ess (Town-ally) Can't earn points but gets a fakeclaim challenge every day. Wins if town wins (you survive and don't marry mafia). There's only one prince/ess, but sometimes they can be a lover prince/ess who shares a chat with a specific suitor and needs to marry them, or perhaps a serial killer prince/ess...
Suitor (Third Party) Wins if they marry the Prince/ess! Probably gets abilities related to earning points.
Attendant (Town) Doesn't care who marries the Prince/ess so long as it's not mafia.
Conspirator (Mafia) Wants to marry the Prince/ess. Nefariously! Has a mafiakill to thin the competition, but if they kill the Prince/ess accidentally, they lose.
Anti-Monarchist (Serial Killer) Wants to kill the Prince/ess. Does not earn points.

This seems to have surprising potential for an idea I had while yanking up grass.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: June 13, 2024, 06:21:40 pm »

The king of the land wants to get his son/daughter married off, but is distrustful of the many available suitors hoping to marry into wealth and power. So he invites a few of them to a game to win his trust, and eliminate the un-trustworthy ones.

At the start of each day, every player (except the prince/ess) is given a challenge for the day, usually a post restriction. If they succeed, they get a point at the end of the day. Some powers probably manipulate points as well. You're told when you earn a point, but they're otherwise hidden.
If 2/3 or more of the initial players are dead, and one player has more points than everyone else, that player marries the prince/ess and the game ends!

Possible roles are:
Prince/ess (Town-ally) Can't earn points but gets a fakeclaim challenge every day. Wins if town wins (you survive and don't marry mafia). There's only one prince/ess, but sometimes they can be a lover prince/ess who shares a chat with a specific suitor and needs to marry them, or perhaps a serial killer prince/ess...
Suitor (Third Party) Wins if they marry the Prince/ess! Probably gets abilities related to earning points.
Attendant (Town) Doesn't care who marries the Prince/ess so long as it's not mafia.
Conspirator (Mafia) Wants to marry the Prince/ess. Nefariously! Has a mafiakill to thin the competition, but if they kill the Prince/ess accidentally, they lose.
Anti-Monarchist (Serial Killer) Wants to kill the Prince/ess. Does not earn points.

This seems to have surprising potential for an idea I had while yanking up grass.

A very interesting idea!

I'd play that game!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: June 13, 2024, 06:26:38 pm »

Yeah, could be an interesting game. Bonus points if the 'kill' is something more like a humiliation or social defeat. (Oh, no, [player] spilled their drink on the Chamberlain, and now he's convinced the King that they're not worthy of marrying the heir!)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: June 13, 2024, 06:40:24 pm »

Possible roles are:

This does sound cool!

What happens if the prince/ess dies early in the game?

Does everyone know who the prince/ess is, and not know about everyone else, so maf and town and other third parties are not sure if there is a serial killer they need to protect the prince/ess from, as well as try to achieve the rest of their wincon?

I can totally see TrickMagic after that prince/ess  in his own special serial killer way!  Slay the dragon quest takes on excellent deeper meaning :)

I can see the prince/ess as a quest giver of sorts, maybe getting to help in the contests, and points are maybe a mix of earned by players doing well, or can be used to empower the prince/ess (whew, tonight I can protect myself at least!) or be given to specific prefered suitors even if they didn't earn them in the game (like a prince/ess's favor?).

I like the idea and would love to see it developed!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: June 13, 2024, 07:05:44 pm »

What happens if the prince/ess dies early in the game?
Game over! If voted out, town should have been more careful with targets. If mafiakilled, mafia should have been more careful with targets.
If SKilled, SK did a good job! Pat pat.

Alternatively, the vote elimination might not kill the Prince/ess, but reveal them, since they survive the vote and all, which increases the danger of sneaky SK. This seems more lore-appropriate, since the King probably doesn't want to execute/exile/disqualify his own child, right?
Does everyone know who the prince/ess is, and not know about everyone else, so maf and town and other third parties are not sure if there is a serial killer they need to protect the prince/ess from, as well as try to achieve the rest of their wincon?
Prince/ess is hidden amongst everybody else. If there is an SK then the game is probably more fun for them if they get to do some detective work and figure out their target, right?
Otherwise it's unknown to the players which alignments are in play at all. The potential existence of monarch-slayers discourages publicly revealing the Prince/ess, but it's not a guarantee that that's necessary.
I can totally see TrickMagic after that prince/ess  in his own special serial killer way!  Slay the dragon quest takes on excellent deeper meaning :)

I can see the prince/ess as a quest giver of sorts, maybe getting to help in the contests, and points are maybe a mix of earned by players doing well, or can be used to empower the prince/ess (whew, tonight I can protect myself at least!) or be given to specific prefered suitors even if they didn't earn them in the game (like a prince/ess's favor?).
I'm not sure what you mean by these. Though there's a great potential for contest-manipulating powers on all roles!

[night] [target] At daybreak, it announced "the Prince/ess wants [TARGET] removed! Leave your vote on them at the end of day for a free point!"

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 13, 2024, 11:29:16 pm »

Nobody knows who the prince/ess is ....

But everyone is trying to marry them.

3rd party role, 'scammer'.  Wins if they can convince someone, anyone, to marry them believing they are the actual prince/ess.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]