Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unusual death message  (Read 2179 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual death message
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 06:44:39 pm »

No, that's bull.

A speed of 1 makes them WAY more likely to dodge into a pit, but to suffer a collision you have to be airborne. The hunter got thrown into a tree by a critter.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 06:47:51 pm »

I've also read about a hunter running so fast he died with that message when he collided with a tree..

I call BS on this one... you have to be airborne to die by collision. And you can't get airborne by moving normally.

It's possible though unlikely that the hunter in question was hit by a wildlife and collided with the tree, dying.

Perhaps the guy was charging.  It's possible for dwarves to injure themselves if the thing they're charging at dodges away, and there's a tree or wall behind it; I've heard of an adventurer who lost an eye this way.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 06:49:42 pm »

You've been tricked, it doesn't happen. There's no mechanic for it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 06:50:21 pm »

A speed of 1 just makes them take their move actions that much more often.

In adventure mode, when something crashes into a wall while airborne (not flying, airborne as in launched by an attack), the message "... slams into an obstacle" appears. I'm going to guess it's that.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 07:27:54 pm »

It's also possible to slam into an obstacle while dodging.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 07:32:16 pm »

You can dodge over a hole and fall, but not INTO an object and take damage.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 07:43:28 pm »

I'm backing Sensei up on this one.  I've never seen a dwarf dodge into an object or run into an object and hurt themselves.  If there is an obstacle the dwarf simply won't dodge that direction. 

This message definitely occurs from critters falling to their death.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.
Pages: 1 [2]