Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven powderkeg mines! *BOOM*  (Read 576 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven powderkeg mines! *BOOM*
« on: August 28, 2009, 06:57:06 pm »

(It's likely this has been suggested before, so I apologize in advance. I also apologize if this idea sounds too far-fetched. Just remember, it's dwarfs we're talking about here...)

Alright, so dwarfs like to use traps, right? Traps are pretty cool, but they would be way cooler if there were explosions. Basically, you wound need three things, an empty barrel, gunpowder (made at alchemist's workshop or maybe a new type of workshop),  and a mechanism. The powderkeg would be (b)uilt like a regular building and then hooked up to a level. Pulling the level will make it explode (since we're never told what "mechanisms" are, we can assume they could be anything, such as a spark-making thingy). You could also hook it up to a pressure pad and use it as mine. The powderkeg would be right next to the pressure pad, so whatever triggered it will be caught in the explosion. The explosion would cause extreme damage in a certain area around it and would ignite things that are directly next to it.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven powderkeg mines! *BOOM*
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 07:50:47 pm »

Hmmmm...

Only if I can lay down the gunpowder, cartoon-fuse style.  And thereby set off timed explosions to rival the finale of Caddyshack.

More seriously, I would support this if a rational way of lighting the gunpowder via remote-control-lever, such as requiring a flint or similar.  All of this is way down the line (assuming that the line actually crosses the path of the development cone of light).  Which is to say, if Toady decides to implement gunpowder in some form.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 08:37:46 pm »

Well, I think flint is in the game, so maybe you would have to use that for mechanisms. But that would be bad news for flint-less areas. Perhaps there could be a special kind of mechanism (detonator?) that could only be made from flint?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:03:20 pm »

why would dwarves make powderkeg mines that will never work when they could fill it with dwarfen booze and drink it?? why do they waste time breathing if they can drink booze? WHY WOULD THEY THINK IF THE cAN DRINK BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZE.*hic*
Hello Hunam

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 09:09:08 pm »

How about if the explosion was an expanding invisible gas, so that it has more pressure in narrow corridors and acts realistictly.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 10:52:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure adding just this would arouse cries of "why don't we by extension have guns/cannons," whereas I'm pretty sure Toady said that guns and cannons are a direction he doesn't want DF to be heading in. 

The whole gunpowder/explosive thing has been extensively debated.  Just take a look at this thread.  It was supposed to be about all technologies before 1400, but was entirely swallowed up by the gunpowder debate instead. 

It's a pretty popular topic for suggestions, and it seems to have enough supporters on both sides such that there isn't really a clear dominant side.

So rest assured that we have done plenty of thinking about all manners of uses of explosives!   ;)
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 02:22:27 pm »

You could always use this....
If you don't believe it is deadly......

If we could just find a way to make this into a trap.......
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.