Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: party dwarves  (Read 2299 times)

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: party dwarves
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 11:50:47 am »

My dwarves have parties at the most innapropriate moments.  For instant, my woodcutter decided to stop working and party just as the wood ran out, cancelling my woodburners' tasks, which led to the magma smelter's steel tasks being cancelled, which led to the magma forge's tasks being cancelled.  My carpenter was also left unable to make a bucket for a wounded ranger.
This is why I use the job manager to queue things up, rather than via the workshops themselves.  You don't have to worry about going back and readding the job later ;D

...of course, you have to turn off all cancellation announcements if you don't want to be flooded with them, but that's a small price to pay.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 12:58:47 pm »

I've been wondering about this job cancellation stuff lately. Being spammed by it is one thing, but isn't it possible that it would generate lag?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 01:06:43 pm »

Does designating some of the tables in your dining hall as separate rooms (and statues as well of course) make dwarves party more? I have come to SUSPECT that my dwarves are only throwing one party as a time because I have only one dining room, irrespective of the space available (lack of which will cause: Urist cancels attend party: No space).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 01:07:03 pm »

I've been wondering about this job cancellation stuff lately. Being spammed by it is one thing, but isn't it possible that it would generate lag?

Extreme job cancallation due to a pond that was apparntly innaccasible or such (I never found out the reason) With literally thousand of such comments spawning every few seconds severly slowed my game down, so yes it generates lag.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 01:25:41 pm »

If you want a party fortress you can probably just make a ton of meeting zones from many different objects.

For instance, in your main hall, set up a bunch of statues. Designate a meeting zone from each statue. With 10+ statue gardens you should get a ton of parties going on all the time. I haven't tested this myself, but I think one dwarf can start a party at an object. Others can join in, but so long as you only have one zone from one object (table, statue, or well) then you will only have one party going on at any given time.

However, if you do this, don't expect your dwarves to do much actual work.  :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:27:24 pm by Hyndis »

omgdandelions

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 03:28:44 pm »

I once had a dwarf who was mauled by batman. A bug caused him to constantly give "urist cancels rest, interrupted by batman" several hundred times a second. It slowed my fps down to almost zero and ultimately caused me to eventually abandon my fort. Batman gives my dwarves nightmares.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 03:45:57 pm »

I thought parties were all about fun though... :P

Oh, they are, they are.
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 03:48:46 pm »

You can also create a regular zone, then designate it to be a meeting zone. Dwarves will gather there, but they will not throw parties.

They will only throw parties if you designate a meeting area from an object, not through the zone menu.

About this. Would designating a meeting zone this way void the good thought from the legendary dining hall? Will your dwarves still eat in a dining room that isn't designated as a meething hall through the building preferences?

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 05:16:10 pm »

If you set a single table as a dining hall and just don't assign anybody to it, everybody will use it and get the good thought from doing so.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 07:59:40 pm »

I think partying is partly to do with size of the meeting area, but I think it seems to be 1 party per "meeting area" (dining room, statue garden, zoo, etc.)  For instance, when I only have a dining room, I get one, and maybe two parties at a time.

In my current fort I have 1 dining room, 1 well, 4 statue gardens and a basic meeting area, and I have 5 or 6 parties going at a time.
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"
Pages: 1 [2]