Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: party dwarves  (Read 2302 times)

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
party dwarves
« on: June 14, 2009, 01:09:46 am »

I made a meeting hall and my dwarves seem to do a lot more partying then work

Is this normal?

Can I make them work more?

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: party dwarves
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 01:11:38 am »

Yes

and to make them get back to work sometimes removing the room designation than re-applying it right away seems to do the trick.

and future reference I believe this would belong in gameplay questions.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 02:07:28 am »

You can also create a regular zone, then designate it to be a meeting zone. Dwarves will gather there, but they will not throw parties.

They will only throw parties if you designate a meeting area from an object, not through the zone menu.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 02:28:36 am »

Parties aren't all bad though.  Your dwarves will build social skills and make friends.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 03:15:46 am »

Parties aren't all bad though.  Your dwarves will build social skills and make friends.

feeding trantrum spirals ;D
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 03:25:51 am »

I thought parties were all about fun though... :P
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 04:16:31 am »

that's how it starts...
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 04:20:04 am »

But in the short term, parties make your dwarves happy.  Just make sure you keep away any dwarves with dangerous jobs.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 08:57:34 am »

How do you guys do it? I'd want my dwarves to party more, not less.

My guys must not be very sociable (maybe they take after me?), because even with a bunch of them idling most of the time and having a legendary dining hall (though I really don't see why it should be legendary, as it doesn't even have much in ways of decoration) there are close to no parties.

So, as the OP's question has been answered (to recap: make a meeting zone via 'i' on top of your dining hall), how about some tips on achieving the complete opposite?

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 09:45:37 am »

a legendary dining hall

Is it designated as a meeting hall? [r]>[h] I believe...
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 09:49:17 am »

Hasn't been well researched, since most players want more work from their dwarfs, not less.

Possible approaches are (as suggested) more meeting areas or more valuable meeting areas.  But it also might have to do with the personality profiles of your dwarves, which are not well understood at all.

There may be one (or more) personality attributes that trigger a dwarf to throw more parties, or that act as a synergetic trigger between different dwarves to do the same.

If you figure it out, let us know!

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 10:32:30 am »

Perhaps the answer is to murder whoever throws the party in order to set an example

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 10:33:09 am »

My dwarves have parties at the most innapropriate moments.  For instant, my woodcutter decided to stop working and party just as the wood ran out, cancelling my woodburners' tasks, which led to the magma smelter's steel tasks being cancelled, which led to the magma forge's tasks being cancelled.  My carpenter was also left unable to make a bucket for a wounded ranger.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 11:06:11 am »

I don't mind parties too much.  They raise social skills, which can speed up hauling and working through strength and agility, and if any enemy force gets inside to start killing the socialites I have bigger things to worry about than a risk of tantruming.

As for making more parties, having more areas that can be partied at helps, as that can mean one party is still going on when another ends.  Having 4 or more can mean endless partying.
[Observation based speculation]
And the dwarves that prefer to stay alone are more likely to attend parties with a smaller number of attendees.
[/Observation based speculation]
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 11:42:18 am »

I've got a zoo from an artifact cage, a well area and a dining hall (with the meeting area option turned on) all overlapping. I hope this overlapping business isn't a problem.
Pages: [1] 2