Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: starting a clothing industry/Farmer guesstimations  (Read 4841 times)

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: starting a clothing industry/Farmer guesstimations
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 10:34:26 am »

I will bet you anything you like, GIMLI WORE SOCKS!

Hey, but it's your own business if you want to look at naked dwarves. Go right ahead.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 10:38:38 am »

heh i buy my clothes off caravans, i prefere the metal trade... more fun :P plus can be used to make goblin limbs fly everywhere

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 10:57:21 am »

You'd wear imported socks? From a dwarven caravan (because nobody else make anything that fits), and yet claim clothesmaking is undwarvenly? For Shame! Six hundred hammerings for totally illogical thinking! Did the mountainhomes teach you nothing?

Surprise, surprise, we ALL prefer the metal trade. That's what we start fortresses for. It doesn't mean it's the only trade.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 11:03:49 am »

We're all interessted in the deep down busniess because we're greedy bastards and the valuable things are down there.
But once in a while one does things like this.
And socks production to dwarves is like a drug lab.

I bet that dwarves uses Socks dipped in sunshine booze as dust filters while mining.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 11:10:15 am »

i'm sorry Benoit, your caravans must be different from MY caravans
Somehow I read that you were doing this for the first caravan.  Later caravans are much larger, indeed.  I was thinking that if you started from the get-go, you'd be getting enough to stock up from the first caravan, and, in time for caravans to get bigger, your legendary dyer/weaver/clothier should be able to convert obscene amounts of processed plants into money.  Your legendary farmer should be able to provide them off not that large a plot, at 4-6 plants per square per season.  Your legendary miller/thresher will go through the plants unreasonably fast.  The only thing you really need to scale up is the hauling.  And cooking all those seeds.

Calculations: 5 plants per farmed square per season.  Turns into a bag worth 80 * 6.75 = 540 on average (25% masterwork, 75% =quality=).  So, 2700 per square per season.  If you use socks instead of bags, you can better than double the figures.  So a 3x4 plot planted with dye in the winter and spring, pig tails in the summer and fall is indeed enough if you have legendaries.

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 11:45:31 am »

heh i buy my clothes off caravans, i prefere the metal trade... more fun :P

Why settle for one, when you can have both? My last fortress had a booming (for a 60 dwarf populace) shoemaking industry on the other side of the corridor from the magma forge smithing out mithril and true silver armor (mod).

It did help that the mod had additional dyes, but I still managed it in vanilla with dimple cups.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2008, 12:33:11 am »

I have a 3x3 plot of all the outdoor crops (because I don't know what they do, mostly) and a 4x5 plot of pig tails and another for dimple cups. With several farmers, only one of whom is legendary, and several dyers/millers/clothiers, no legendaries, I'm churning out more cloth that I know what to do with. like a 20x10 stockpile filled with cloth and thread. I have a big glass industry, so I have bags on repeat, and every so often I make some socks.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2008, 08:18:44 pm »

from what i've read on the wiki article for the cloth industry, it sounds like a lot of micromanaging is necessary to keep my clothiers from using undyed thread. Is their an easy way to guarantee that cloth production follows the stringent pattern of harvest -> weave -> dye -> manufacture instead of harvest -> weave -> manufacture?

I'm almost positive that there are options in the {o}rders screen to use only dyed thread/cloth.

Ahh, there they are: o, W (capital!), then L (lowercase!) until the text reads "Auto Loom Dyed Thread" and d until you get "Use Dyed Cloth".

That first one, for thread, sounds like it only applies to automatically assigned jobs though, so I'm not sure how helpful it is. I tend to just ignore clothing, so I don't know much about it myself.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2008, 08:44:22 pm »

Autoloom dyed thread means that once the thread is dyed, an order will be sent to the loom to weave it into cloth. If you use that all cloth should be dyed before it is even cloth.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2008, 03:38:40 pm »

Yet again something new about DF i learned today. thanks.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2008, 08:39:33 pm »

Yet again something new about DF i learned today. thanks.
Good, less questions.

I will bet you anything you like, GIMLI WORE SOCKS!

Hey, but it's your own business if you want to look at naked dwarves. Go right ahead.

One Dwarves don't care about nudity, but it may catch some eyes.

And enjoy your economic superiority, it'll help your expansion when regional expansion is possible.
Pages: 1 2 [3]