Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: It's a hard knock life...  (Read 2164 times)

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
Re: It's a hard knock life...
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 09:58:54 am »

Several soldiers.

Standing in the food storage.

Drinking wine.

During a SIEGE.

Oh, yeah, I hear ya. And if they hadn't been drinking, they would have decided to take a nap! Just as soon as you'd ordered them to the front lines!

I'm just surprised that your marksdwarves didn't join them. I really don't see how we can get away from depending on traps, when our military is this unreliable.

Bill

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 12:27:37 pm »

Actually, what you probably ran into here was the leader of your soldiers getting thirsty, and all of his squadmates following him to the cellars to watch him top up. This is why all of my soldiers are in one-man squads. Bit of a pain to manage sometimes, but you don't get perfectly healthy soldiers following around ones who need naps, food, or drink.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 01:30:10 pm »

I take similar measures as Derakon.  Not nearly as drastic, but similar in spirit.  I usually try to keep my dwarves in squads of no more than four, maybe five.  If I decide to have bigger squads than that, it's only because I think it's worth the effort to keep an eye on that squad and reassign leadership the moment they head for the stairs.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Jay Kayell

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 01:49:57 pm »

Put all your dwarves into one squad, tell them where to go and then put them back into one man squads, they will still go to the place you told them, but since everybody is their own squad they won't leave to watch their leader sleep. This will ensure that as many of your military dwarves as possible will make it to the combat area.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:58:10 pm by Jay Kayell »
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 10:10:05 pm »

I know what you mean

I recently lost 3 dwarves in a siege, 1 got skewered by a spear and 2 injured died of thirst thanks to my well leaking in the winter. I didn't care at first but finding the first one's body rotting in the graveyard got to me for some reason.
Eh you'll get over it.  Just look at it as a framerate improvement.
Pages: 1 [2]