Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: It's a hard knock life...  (Read 2212 times)

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
It's a hard knock life...
« on: September 10, 2008, 05:40:39 am »

I just saw one of the saddest things in my DF history.

A season ago some idiot was taking apart the floor above my entrance hall and well caused a collapsing of the roof. Under it was a mother and her baby in her arms. As the roof collapsed she clung on the poor child and protected him from the disaster with her own body. She did not survive... It is only later that I discovered her baby crawling in the meeting hall, alone and miserable with a broken hand and brain damage. When I opened his inventory I discovered he was still covered in his mother's blood. It almost brought a tear to my eye...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 05:44:13 am by Viprince »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: It's a hard knock life...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 06:21:00 am »

Whoa, that is sad.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 06:29:54 am »

Least it's still alive. I've heard of the kids going suicidal after stuff like that.

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 06:35:31 am »

Least it's still alive. I've heard of the kids going suicidal after stuff like that.
Well it is sort of amilessly roaming the place and I'm keeping a watchful eye on him in case he does get such ideas. On a lighter note he is now unhappy instead of miserable which is a good sign :D

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 06:36:38 am »

Raise him to be a great warrior. Give him a steel battle axe and steel full plate armor. Make him a champion.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 06:50:01 am »

Raise him to be a great warrior. Give him a steel battle axe and steel full plate armor. Make him a champion.

I'll probably have forgotten all abou him by the time he 's 13 and can be military trained and tyhat's if my fort lasts till then. (which I doubt with the coming update with no save compatibility).

I did just appoint his father as captain of the guard and armed him with an obsidian sword for him to train the child the spartan way.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 06:56:48 am »

I did just appoint his father as captain of the guard and armed him with an obsidian sword for him to train the child the spartan way.

Please tell me you're going for metal soon. Forcing dwarves to wield rocks like savages is almost as sad as that cave-in.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 07:37:57 am »

You do know that obsidian is second only to adamantium right?
And you probably wont be able to train the kid in combat; brain damage doesn't heal.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 09:17:34 am »

It's the flavor of the thing, not the effectiveness.

Anyway, he can train the kid -- just not by sparring. He'll need to get a supply of creatures for the kid to fight. I suggest building a lot of cage traps.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 09:28:46 am »

I know what you mean

I recently lost 3 dwarves in a siege, 1 got skewered by a spear and 2 injured died of thirst thanks to my well leaking in the winter. I didn't care at first but finding the first one's body rotting in the graveyard got to me for some reason. All three were Fodder rank but I opened their entries in the unit log and typed in "Hero".

I tried roofing over the graveyard so I could preserve their bones for a proper burial but they crumbled to dust before I could find a suitable place.  :(  I didn't even have an engraver yet so I couldn't carve their likeness on the hillside they drew their last breath on

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 09:34:01 am »

Fortress guard that sucker. I wouldn't bother trying to train him against monsters.

I mean, you can be motivated to try, but maybe marksdwarving is a better idea?
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 10:38:10 am »

I'll probably have forgotten all abou him by the time he 's 13 and can be military trained...

So give him a custom name/profession to remind you.  ;)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 05:32:27 pm »

You do know that obsidian is second only to adamantine right?
And you probably wont be able to train the kid in combat; brain damage doesn't heal.
Obsidian is the only stone that can be used to make swords (also requires a wood log) at a craftsdwarf's workshop. The damage of an obsidian weapon is the same as for a steel weapon of the same quality
...No, I didn't know that.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 11:41:21 pm »

Well it is sort of amilessly roaming the place and I'm keeping a watchful eye on him in case he does get such ideas. On a lighter note he is now unhappy instead of miserable which is a good sign :D

Since my forts usually have high z level's, most babies of mine usually end up aimlessly wandering off the edge of the stairwell. Though i did have one in that fort that grew up to be a child, and then made it to bed.
Magma is overrated.

Brakebein

• Bay Watcher
  • Not all those who wander are lost...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 03:46:44 am »

This reminds me of a recent event in my last fortress: My soldiers had been in training for years but I had never been attacked, save for a couple of kobolds. Then one day, the goblins decided to besiege me. Not a huge force - maybe ten or twelve - but still potent.

I instantly thought, "HELL YEAH! COMBAT!" I put my melee squad (around 15 of various weapons, all with iron armour and legendary wrestling skill) and my crossbow squad (about 5) on duty near the front gate.

The goblins were marching slowly, however. Too slowly. I was getting impatient, so I stationed both squads outside - the melee guys in front of the archers. A sound plan, no?

So anyway, I go off to check something, I come back and the goblins have arrived. My five archers have been struck down in a hail of arrows - the air was thick with them. Not a single melee fighter to be seen.
WTF? I thought. Shaking my head, I paused the game and checked around the fortress.

Several soldiers.

Standing in the food storage.

Drinking wine.

During a SIEGE.

The other soldiers were on their way down the stairs.
Five crossbowmen lost, all because of alcoholism. Last time I put the barracks so far from the merlot...
Book thieves will be caged and left to perish on windswept crags.
Pages: [1] 2