Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A massive hippo herd at my river.  (Read 1108 times)

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A massive hippo herd at my river.
« on: August 17, 2008, 01:01:13 am »

There must be like 50 of those buggers just waiting at my nearby river. I sent a Dwarf hunting in the beginning not expecting much other than small game but there was a hippo herd that just won't stop breeding. Their population pretty much doubled and I don't really have any weapons to fight them back if they try to invade.  :(

folo4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A massive hippo herd at my river.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 01:22:24 am »

then don't piss them off.

Hippos are inherently passive; as long as your dorfs don't do anything stupid, you can be assured that the hippo won't do much against you.

It's the bloody caravans that will cause the hippo to march down your fortress. Sieges can easily bat them off.

Since water won't work, your only hope is magma.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 01:32:14 am »

Cage traps. Tame them.

Moon Label

• Bay Watcher
  • Cannot write post: creature occupying site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 01:36:48 am »

Wall them in?
Quote from: Toady One on May 10, 2007, 10:59:00 pm
I've moved out of the office and turned in my keys.

Nomadic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 03:57:51 am »

Since water won't work, your only hope is magma.

It works if its a surging wall of it...

...and the end of the line is off the edge of a chasm >:]

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 04:00:59 am »

Life is, in a word, WAR HIPPOS!

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 08:44:27 am »

as long as your dorfs don't do anything stupid

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 09:21:05 am »

Give all your dwarves the hunting labor, set them to use crossbows.

Epic battle ensues.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 01:21:43 pm »

I say cage them, tame them, and release them into a water system below your fort(with 3/7 water or s), and then have the only entrance to your for a retractable bridge above the hippos. Invading gobbos get to swim with the hippos.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Reinecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 01:32:16 pm »

Everything was going well until I forgot to forbid barrels for anything but alcohol. *looks up how to do that*

Well in other words my Dwarves started going to the river to get water and fish plus the Hippos started interrupting their drink and I lost 2 Dwarves to the fish from drowning. I'm going to put a moat around my entrance now.
Well I have about 25 barrels full of plump helmets but I can't brew them because they just take barrels to put more plump helmets in, and I have 2 carpenters working non-stop on producing barrels.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 01:43:16 pm »

Everything was going well until I forgot to forbid barrels for anything but alcohol. *looks up how to do that*

Well in other words my Dwarves started going to the river to get water and fish plus the Hippos started interrupting their drink and I lost 2 Dwarves to the fish from drowning. I'm going to put a moat around my entrance now.
Well I have about 25 barrels full of plump helmets but I can't brew them because they just take barrels to put more plump helmets in, and I have 2 carpenters working non-stop on producing barrels.

Use the reserve barrel option under the stockpile.  If you reserve, say, 5 barrels.  The dwarves not take any new barrel for stockpile if you have 5 or less barrels (leaving them to brew the precious alcohol in).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 01:31:49 pm »

Hippos are inherently passive; as long as your dorfs don't do anything stupid, you can be assured that the hippo won't do much against you.
In my experience, this is not the case; doing anything in proximity to a hippo - fishing, drinking, walking from point A to point B, rocking back and forth in the corner mumbling about elder gods - will quickly result in a blood-soaked killing spree. I've also seen hippos wander across the map and into my fortress for no apparent reason, then flip out and start killing once inside.