Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fruits!  (Read 2099 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fruits!
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 11:16:46 pm »

When you get the nuts for chocolate, you could also harvest the leaves and have a farmer process it into Dwarven Cocaine, setting their speed to 1 and making them unable to sleep temporarily, with the side-effects of addiction and even death!!

So remember kids.  Drugs are dangerous, poisonous, illegal, and just great.

You know there's a difference between a cocoa plant and a coca plant, right?

Anyway, I guess I could see dwarves harvesting fruit. I mean, in a world where elves view defeated enemies as tasty snacks...why not? The most dwarflike methods of harvesting I can think of are to either hammer or cut down the tree, as suggested above, or build a staircase. I like the image of a dwarven orchard, trees spaced far enough apart to allow for scaffolding around each one.  :D

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 11:39:37 pm »

On that subject can Milk be turned into alcohol?
Milk has lactose, which is a (complex) form of sugar. With the right variety of yeast, it's quite possible to turn milk into an alcoholic beverage. The taste of it, though, I have no idea...

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2008, 12:01:49 am »

fermented milk is not.. that good :P atleast in my opinion, some people swear by it.. its good for you too..
The New Moo!

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2008, 12:57:11 am »

In the modders forum, there's lots of people that have added their own plants.  Mangos and Cocao are indeed included.  Heck, several people have done some of them, for different results.  You guys should go search the modder archives for 'plants'.  You don;t have to be a modder to use them!

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2008, 11:23:43 pm »

well a mango plant is different than a mango tree..
The New Moo!

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2008, 02:45:31 am »

It's interesting that this game has so much detail in terms of geology (the number of different types of rocks, gems etc) and much less detail in the number of different plants and crops.

I guess either Toady knows much more about geology than he does about botany, or he decided that since dwarves like rocks but aren't that bothered about plants, it wasn't important to have such levels of realism in plant life.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2008, 02:29:29 pm »

Mind the variance in rock types came with the move to 3D.  Previously there was "marble, granite, obsidian, limestone, basalt" and a few others.  The colored stones are new, as well as a dozen or so other types.
Pages: 1 2 [3]