Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fruits!  (Read 2100 times)

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
Fruits!
« on: December 08, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »

Well, we have mango and cocoa trees! What about being able to collect fruit per season? Maybe we designate they just like shrubs!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Fruits!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 06:47:00 pm »

Apparently dwarves have no fear of scurvy. Seconded, also, making Cocao processable into chocolate.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 10:21:00 pm »

Cacao sounds like something the elves might specialize in.... Hmm... I can imagine them bringing all kinds of fruit and stuff, like that.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 03:01:00 am »

Yay. Yes of course. Apple juice for everyone!
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 09:31:00 pm »

I guess fruit could lead to non-alchoholic beverages (other than milk) which could be cool. Maybe unlike water (making dwarves slow) or alcohol (making them fast)  juice could just keep them at the same speed, since they at least contain sugar.

[ December 09, 2007: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I guess fruit could lead to non-alchoholic beverages (other than milk) which could be cool. Maybe unlike water (making dwarves slow) or alcohol (making them fast)  juice could just keep them at the same speed, since they at least contain sugar.

[ December 09, 2007: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]</STRONG>

And if you're not careful (or are careful) fruit juices could ferment into dwarven cider. It would be called dwarven hard cider, but the word 'dwarven' already implies alcohol content.  :D

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

Not that this has any relevance:

The British Navy was known to put antiscorbitants (anti-scurvy stuff) into rum so the sailors would drink it.  Maybe the dwarves do that.  Or they don't need Vitamin C.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 10:42:00 pm »

well seeing as my dwarves are eating only syrup and leaves, nutrition can't be much of a concern.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 04:44:00 pm »

dwarves out in the fresh air picking fruits from trees?! this is heresy.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 04:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GauHelldragon:
<STRONG>dwarves out in the fresh air picking fruits from trees?! this is heresy.</STRONG>

I'd like to point out that strawberries are fruits.

As are tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, other squashes, and other berries (trees?  I think not).

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »

I'm reviving this. I, too, would like to see fruit-bearing trees implemented. Aside from real-world trees, Toady's trees (feather tree and glumprong) could have their own special fruits.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

Hrm. Might be interesting. Give a couple of tags to the wood matgloss that links to a plant matgloss with no biome tokens. Perhaps [HARVEST:<plant_matgloss>] Trees with the harvest token would bloom based on the active season of the plant matgloss and the tree would get an adjective like "ripe" or "fruitful" So you could have "fruitful mango trees" When harvested, the fruitful adjective goes away until  the plant's next fruiting season is available.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »

Omigosh, fruits would be awesome! Different trees grow different kinds and in different climates! Bananas in the hotter climates, etc.

Also, a good source of food for adventure mode.

DO IT!

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 10:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slappy Moose:
<STRONG>Bananas in the hotter climates, etc.</STRONG>
Interestingly, banana plants are not actual trees so much as they are plants with massive stems and fruit on the end. I looked this up just today, as I had planned on suggesting banana trees. (Imagine the fruit yields off of those.) They could still make for a good collectable plant, though.

Also, tower caps could grow mushroom buds each year if not cut down.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »

alot of the fruits we associate with trees are rather odd.. hell.. even coconuts..  in the trees life.. they generally only produce one bunch of coconuts.. (though there are varieties that fruit multiple times)

fruit trees would be awesome though.. mm.. roasting coco seeds... such a wonderous smell..

The New Moo!
Pages: [1] 2 3