Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fruits!  (Read 2104 times)

Anjey aka PM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fruits!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 11:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>

but the word 'dwarven' already implies alcohol content.   :D</STRONG>

yeah... dwarven milk i.e.   :roll:

he greatest programming project of all took six days; on the seventh day the programmer rested. We''ve been trying to debug the *&^%$#@ thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 07:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by hapes:
<STRONG>Not that this has any relevance:

The British Navy was known to put antiscorbitants (anti-scurvy stuff) into rum so the sailors would drink it.  Maybe the dwarves do that.  Or they don't need Vitamin C.</STRONG>

Maybe they have some way to get it without fruit?
Like with vitamin D, they don't need to be exposed to sun, but they eat cave fish and mushrooms(maybe plump helmet is a relative of shitake).
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »

Well Milk can already be turned into alcohol already as in real life (The Mongols had some sort of Goat alcohol or something)

On that subject can Milk be turned into alcohol?

Anyhow... Yeah I support fruit trees that drop or are harvestable once per year... but you are probably going to have to wait until plantable trees happen

[ April 15, 2008: Message edited by: Neonivek ]

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 10:13:00 pm »

Perhaps that would also finally make the elves not so hypocritical. They would eat fruits, instead of eating... whatever the heck they eat.

Not only trees should give fruits, but also those plants you can designate. So you'd have two types of plants, one which when gathered disappears (like the normal plants), and one which when gathered will still remain, but you won't be able to gather from it for a season or two.

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 03:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fishersalwaysdie:
<STRONG>
Maybe they have some way to get it without fruit?
Like with vitamin D, they don't need to be exposed to sun, but they eat cave fish and mushrooms(maybe plump helmet is a relative of shitake).</STRONG>

Well, as humans, we're one of the few species unable to synthesise our own, so it could make sense.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C#Biosynthesis

But the lack of fruit struck me last night in my marathon DF session and I was like D:

-Angry Lawyer

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 06:52:00 am »

The only dwarven way to harvest fruit from a tree is to chop the tree down. Then you get a log and a stack of fruit. Anything else is hippy elf talk.

Crafty Barnardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 03:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Silveron:
<STRONG>The only dwarven way to harvest fruit from a tree is to chop the tree down. Then you get a log and a stack of fruit. Anything else is hippy elf talk.</STRONG>

Or pound on the tree with a hammer until the fruit falls on the ground.  Another nice thing about adding in fruits would be new forms of booze; pineapple schnapps anyone?

Crafty Barnardo cancels task:  distracted by shiny object

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 10:52:00 pm »

dude, I thought dwarven milk was like irish cream.  Are you telling me that its not?  my world is crumbling.
igless

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 10:55:00 pm »

you could chain monkeys to the trees, and they can climb up and throw the fruit down.

Or you can get a rope and pull the tree backwards with high tension, release the rope, and flingify the fruit across the map for easy collection.  Bonus points for creating a flying monkey in the process.

igless

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 02:13:12 pm »

New item on wishing list!  Plantable fruit tree/shrubs.  I want my dwarf to have fruit wines. 

Btw, if I have a large variety of alcohol, does that make dwarf happier then just the same one (say... sunshine).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 02:15:38 pm »

New item on wishing list!  Plantable fruit tree/shrubs.  I want my dwarf to have fruit wines. 

Btw, if I have a large variety of alcohol, does that make dwarf happier then just the same one (say... sunshine).

It does in the latest versions (39a+).  A dwarf who only drinks the same thing over and over will get the message "is tired of drinking the same old booze" and will prioritize drinking a different liquor.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 04:46:59 pm »

It does in the latest versions (39a+).  A dwarf who only drinks the same thing over and over will get the message "is tired of drinking the same old booze" and will prioritize drinking a different liquor.
Ah... thanks.  Guess I'll cycle through the 4 undergroup farm crop that produce booze.  Sigh... no more pure sunshine, guess dwarf will get sick of the good things too.

So, do they get good thoughts if I give them, say, 8 different kind of booze?
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 04:49:35 pm »

As far as I know there's only a negative thought for lack of variety.  Toady posted over in General Discussion a couple weeks ago when he first announced the feature in the devs with specifics.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 05:30:26 pm »

When you get the nuts for chocolate, you could also harvest the leaves and have a farmer process it into Dwarven Cocaine, setting their speed to 1 and making them unable to sleep temporarily, with the side-effects of addiction and even death!!

So remember kids.  Drugs are dangerous, poisonous, illegal, and just great.
Shoes...

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 06:22:41 pm »

I'd love it if we could harvest coffee beans.  :)
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."
Pages: 1 [2] 3