Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: To Battle!  (Read 4231 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: To Battle!
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2008, 06:17:12 am »

Yeah, also far less fun.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2008, 06:18:01 am »

As for now, I see one problem: if one entity attacks, it seems to never ever lose their initiative. In every battle it is treated as attacker and its enemy never launches counterattack. It's most obvious when elves attack humans... They eventually win and burn down the same human city over and over, which their foes doesn't seem to mind or try to stop in a meaningful way (for example - attacking an elven city). And it seems that past atrocities are not a good enough reason to wage a war against a civilization...

Huh, I haven't had something like that. Actually, the war between elves and humans in my world turned into a back and forth kinda thing. Then, for no apparent reason, the one human civilization that had never entered a war and had been quitely building its cities suddenly struck. Only one elven civ remains, and 3 dwarfs civs are currently trying to hold on to whats left. The "sleeping giant" human civ now holds about half the map.
This is how I like to play tactical board games =). The human leader appeared to be a clever tactician.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2008, 06:29:08 am »

The crazy conflict over the meaning of truthiness? LOL. By year 200, they are still fighting over that.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2008, 06:38:55 am »

"The Attack of Shoving"?

I guess they went for a lark and tried to resolve their differences over a game of Red Rover.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2008, 08:19:15 am »

You guys talking about 'good' and 'evil' races are kind of misunderstanding here.

From the point of view of the Elves, humans ARE evil.

Evil is not objective, no matter what we may think. Evil is just 'someone who has a morality that I don't like',  and the elves definitely don't like people cutting down trees and killing animals.

Just splitting the game into 'good' and 'evil' races would be a massive oversimplification

Well, morality becomes more clear-cut with {GOOD} and {EVIL} tags. But it does seem more a reference to those likely tags than any statement on their philosophy. Case in point being the elves. Nobody likes 'em, but they'd probably tag them as Good.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2008, 08:47:22 am »

Really? Why do then "good" dwarves kept killing/smashing/flooding those "good" elves all the time before? Now it's time to strike back.

Also I don't see why are the elves more good than goblins. Yes, goblins live in structures. Yes, goblins obey demons.
But humans build houses too. Humans eat meat, hunt for fun and cut trees. I have no comments about dwarves, which are total consumers.
It's more suitable for dwarves to unite with humans and goblins against the natural menace  like elves.
Elves think that they're the part of the nature. Humans, gobs and dwarves like to kill and destroy nature to build their own things of it. It looks like nobody understands elves.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 08:48:54 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2008, 10:05:38 am »

As for now, I see one problem: if one entity attacks, it seems to never ever lose their initiative. In every battle it is treated as attacker and its enemy never launches counterattack. It's most obvious when elves attack humans... They eventually win and burn down the same human city over and over, which their foes doesn't seem to mind or try to stop in a meaningful way (for example - attacking an elven city). And it seems that past atrocities are not a good enough reason to wage a war against a civilization...

Huh, I haven't had something like that. Actually, the war between elves and humans in my world turned into a back and forth kinda thing. Then, for no apparent reason, the one human civilization that had never entered a war and had been quitely building its cities suddenly struck. Only one elven civ remains, and 3 dwarfs civs are currently trying to hold on to whats left. The "sleeping giant" human civ now holds about half the map.

Yes, it seems the names confused me. It's not the civilisations that wage the wars against themselves. It appears that individual cities launch their own campaigns.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2008, 10:51:59 am »

City states?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2008, 11:09:57 am »

Itīs only a guess, but elves of the same civilization are always united, while humans don't - elves always worship the same force, while humans sometimes worship antagonistic gods and raid their neighbour's towns.
I think this is the reason why elves attack en masse - they gather elves from all the neighbouring elven retreats, while the other races defend only with what they got at that settlement.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2008, 11:37:59 pm »

Itīs only a guess, but elves of the same civilization are always united, while humans don't - elves always worship the same force, while humans sometimes worship antagonistic gods and raid their neighbour's towns.
I think this is the reason why elves attack en masse - they gather elves from all the neighbouring elven retreats, while the other races defend only with what they got at that settlement.

Currently, it seems more the elves breed like rabbits, and live very long natural lives. Also, there are seperate groups in charge of seperate villages/forest retreats, even though they belong to the same civ. Thus, if that group attacks, they use only what they have.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]