Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: In this topic, we write about simple things that used to  (Read 2285 times)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In this topic, we write about simple things that used to
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 04:57:04 pm »

In my first attempt I intended to set up a steel industry.  Problem was I had no iron ore.  However, I did locate an exposed vein of native platinum that I could work with in the meantime.  Of course it took me nearly 2 years worth of gameplay before I realized that platinum was found in veins of magnetite.   :D

By the time I realized that, I was wiped out by goblins because I hadn't managed to get the military side of things figured out. 

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
Re: In this topic, we write about simple things that used to
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 05:33:47 pm »

I'm a very quick learner. I got the basics down in a day or two.
Of course, pumps perplexed me for a while, but I got over that in another day or two.

I didn't really get any more confused until I actually wanted to start a military. I got that down in three days.

The only thing that evades me after two months is how to make working waterwheels. Damn things never run, even if there's a current and more than 4/7 water.

Wells are useful for when you don't want your dwarves to go outside. I don't want my entire dwarven population to die after each and every one of them stumbles upon an ambush when they're going to the river, trying to get some water or tend to the injured.
It's also fun to make a big shaft leading down to an underground river. I like spiting those damned fish and creatures simply by using a well about 14 z-levels above them.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die
Pages: 1 2 [3]