Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: In this topic, we write about simple things that used to  (Read 2287 times)

Loki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
In this topic, we write about simple things that used to
« on: June 14, 2008, 03:14:00 am »

"Simple," is, of course, to be taken with a grain of rock salt, since this game is anything but.

So look back to your early days with this game and write what perplexed you the most.

For me, making a well was nearly rocket science. The entire wood burner->smelter->What? I need ore? The hell is ore?->forge process was simply beyond me. My entire fort died of thirst before I could get a working well. The one after that managed to get it down though =P

Dwarf Fortress: The only game you can play without even unpausing.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In this topic, we write about simple things that used to
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 03:34:00 am »

Hmm, wasn't that long ago for me (a month) and some things still confuse the heck out of me.
I would say digging stairs and the z level in general was my first inicial confusion, actually the whole visualization of what the heck was going on was problematic. Then the whole giving jobs process was up.
After i got the hang of that then basic survival via water and a food industry boggled my mind for a time, storage problems also.
Then i would say more "advanced" constructions like the workings of pumps and other mechanical devices like waterwheels and levers and a well and such.
Also simply "trading" was beyond me at first. At that time i also started learning about things like how to set areas and such and lastly military workings. I haven't encountered more late fortress developments like economy and such yet, so that will likely also raise some needed questions. I do feel i'm finaly getting the hang of it though. (wich makes me appreciate the game even more)

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: Doppel ]

Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Nickzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 03:43:00 am »

I still wouldn't understand a thing about this game if it wasn't for the DFwiki.

Digging stairs confused me, ramps confused me, finding and using metal in general confused me, even creating and using buildings confused me.

Slumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 04:18:00 am »

The introduction of mechanical devices and the flow of liquids confused me loads. Gear assemblies?  Axles?  Pumps?

Got the hang of it all eventually with the help of this forum, the Wiki and of course, several floods.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 04:27:00 am »

Mechanics. I just didn't get how the axles and gears worked. Thank Armok for the wiki.

Also, when the Z-Level update came, I took a bit to get to grips with mining.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 07:03:00 am »

Wells still confuse the hell out of me. I haven't even attempted building one. In fact I didn't know they existed until I came to these forums. Of course, until I discover some reason for having one as opposed to just drinking from a brook or murky pool, I don't think I will build one.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 07:41:00 am »

By the virtue of savescumming, I flooded my first fortress 3 times in a row trying to make a well. And I still haven't figured out how to use pumps and the like.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 08:42:00 am »

Job designations, and constructing walls and bridges.

Mining, the Z-levels and seeing what things were (Via, k, the most useful roguelike help system I have ever seen) were not really a problem. DFWiki ahoy!

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

dsi1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 09:55:00 am »

I got everything down somewhat speedily, but wells, I never got them, and besides, I've got more than enough alcohol.
Me: I developed a way to catch demons which shoot web, then I forced it to work in a sweatshop and shoot its magma-proof web at children so I can collect it to make clothes.

Friend: Holy shit.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 10:12:00 am »

I've been playing for five or six months, and I've never even attempted a well.
Shoes...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

Wells didn't give me much of a problem, but it took me a heck of a long time to figure out how my fisherdwarf was walking through solid walls to get to a lake up north, and what all those triangles meant, too.

Most everything else I just read up on the wiki and was good to go.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

Definitely mechanics, I could NOT get my pumps to go. Took me a good hour to get working...
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 12:24:00 pm »

While all the mechanics and waterworks are pretty confusing, windmills were the hardest to get to work.

However, I haven't tried working with magma or the dwarven economy yet, so I'm sure there's lots of confusion (and horrible deaths) still to come.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

Everything about this game is confusing until it goes matrix on you.

I remember just sitting there confused for like 10 minutes the first time I needed to set up a lever.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »

Brewing/farming used to confuse me. I thought "What's the point? They can teetotal for a while." Except that my first successful fort died out in the middle of the first winter because it was in a tundra area. Hehehe...I figured it out pretty fast after that.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.
Pages: [1] 2 3