Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: In this topic, we write about simple things that used to  (Read 2286 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: In this topic, we write about simple things that used to
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

I have played this game for nearly a year, and in that time I have yet to EVER build an Alchemist's workshop. Not even one. That is partially because Crystal Glass sounds impossible.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »

I'm w/you on that...alchemy? bah!  It's all witchcraft!

Interface and tasks aside...I was joyfully confused with the graphics to start with.  I just love this kind of shit.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>I have played this game for nearly a year, and in that time I have yet to EVER build an Alchemist's workshop. Not even one. That is partially because Crystal Glass sounds impossible.</STRONG>

Crystal glass?  It only requires clear glass, no?

In any case, it only produces soap, which is undervalued as a trade good IMHO.

hous3y

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »

Being a decade long veteran of roguelikes (Nethack, Moria, ADOM, Angband, Omega) I got a false sense of security from the graphics. I couldn't find the military button and I was always scared to "(A)ctivate The Nourishing Boulders (Just this dwarf)" because I thought it put them on some kind of crusade based on the name... I didn't want poor Uzol Ostathlibash becoming a lithovore lol.

I felt like such a turd sandwich when I found out that was just the squad names   :roll:

ow the world has gone to bed,
Darkness won''t engulf my head,
I can see by infrared,
How I hate the night.

Now I lay me down to sleep,
Try to count electric sheep,
Sweet dream wishes you can keep,
How I hate the night.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 04:29:00 pm »

I'm a fast learner, so I figured out most aspects of the game fairly quickly. Screw pumps confused me for a while, but I got the hang of them a few days after I started using them.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by hous3y:
<STRONG>Being a decade long veteran of roguelikes (Nethack, Moria, ADOM, Angband, Omega) I got a false sense of security from the graphics. I couldn't find the military button and I was always scared to "(A)ctivate The Nourishing Boulders (Just this dwarf)" because I thought it put them on some kind of crusade based on the name... I didn't want poor Uzol Ostathlibash becoming a lithovore lol.

I felt like such a turd sandwich when I found out that was just the squad names    :roll:</STRONG>

Heh! Exactly my problem as well! Even after I figured all the other game aspects out..
I was like: "What will happen if I do that? Will I be able to unactivate it? Will he go crazy? It sounds scary..."

Eventually I tried it out and I went like "D'oh! Squadnames!".

Also, the first game of DF I couldn't get the Z level to change.
I had the graphic pack and didn't read well enough that you used different buttons for Z-changing then.
Frustrated after trying to figure it out for hours, I build my first fortress ever into a hillside. Even though I full well knew that Z-level changing was  somehow possible.

Dwarves: Death from Below!

dsi1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

Oh yeah, I forgot about pumps and such, haven't even attempted one of those.
Me: I developed a way to catch demons which shoot web, then I forced it to work in a sweatshop and shoot its magma-proof web at children so I can collect it to make clothes.

Friend: Holy shit.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

If there was one thing that horribly confused me, it would be changing between z levels.That was really the biggest block that stood in my way, after that the game went along with barley any problem.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

My first z-level-capable fort had stairs all OVER the place.  Like, you'd be walking along a hall and it'd be like the Winchester Mystery House, you'd have like three up stairs, only one of which is connected to a down stair above it.  Just figuring out how to do a stack of u/d staircases was a major triumph for me.  Navigation of the z-levels wasn't that hard, but digging/construction?  That was a headache.

It also took me ages to figure out you couldn't place a wall over a constructed floor.  My first couple towers always had a column of windows or grates directly above the door.

Hmm... Winchester Mystery House... There's an idea for a challenge fort...  Obviously not challenging for the dwarves, but if I upload the save and let people adventure in it...  Hmm.

It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Klendt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 09:22:20 am »

Wells still confuse the hell out of me. I haven't even attempted building one. In fact I didn't know they existed until I came to these forums. Of course, until I discover some reason for having one as opposed to just drinking from a brook or murky pool, I don't think I will build one.
I used to think that too. Then my axe lord murdered about fifteen dwarves not because he had lost eight or nine pets, but because he was given stagnant water when he was resting from his wounds. Ever since then I've been quite punctual about giving a ciruitous route to my resivoirs. I don't think I need to say why it's a bad idea to just allow your dwarves to leave the fort to trek halfway across the map for some delicious brook water.

And me? For the longest time, I had no bloody clue that limonite, hematite and magnetite WERE iron. I thought they were indicative of nearby iron ore. After many nights of tooth gritting, I accidentally stumbled across it when I built a smelter anyways.
I then spent many more nights bashing my head against the wall in self-disgust.
The boundary between healthy curiosity and outright nerdiness blurs yet more...

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 02:28:12 pm »

I haven't even been playing dwarves for a year and I still remember my first few attempts.
Always starting over because I didn't re3lize that the game was a save and quit only. That one was horrible.
Probably my biggest problem when I started playing was I didn't want to waste any precious stone so I made everything out of Wood. Of course at the time I only had a little hole in the ground.
I didn't have to much trouble with stairs in the 3d version. Ramps however screwed with me over and over again.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »

Oh, I forgot about z-levels. I couldn't get them to work for a while, but then I figured out I have to press shift to get the buttons to work. I changed the z-level buttons to , and . after I discovered that.

Also, I thought "open space" was just ground without anything on it the first time I encountered it, which led to quite a bit of confusion.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008, 02:45:18 pm »

The military and the guard confused me.  The first few months I played, I never had any military, only a fortress guard.  Who wouldn't ever seem to guard anything.  Then I read up on this and soon was able to field a decent army.

Metalworking took me a while, too.  I guess that makes sense, given that it's a fairly complicated industry.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2008, 05:49:09 pm »

I always used to be paranoid about mining into the magma flow incase my miner got burned so i always used to use a sacrificial immigrant. Never bothered with wells since the z-level came around as they now seem somewhat pointless to me (If the waters already there why do you need a well?) Stairs also confused me I dug down stairs over my entire first 3d map.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2008, 06:47:06 pm »

Wells still confuse the hell out of me. I haven't even attempted building one. In fact I didn't know they existed until I came to these forums. Of course, until I discover some reason for having one as opposed to just drinking from a brook or murky pool, I don't think I will build one.
I used to think that too. Then my axe lord murdered about fifteen dwarves not because he had lost eight or nine pets, but because he was given stagnant water when he was resting from his wounds.

Huh... I've never had a dwarf get too badly wounded, so I never really gave it a second thought.
I had no bloody clue that limonite, hematite and magnetite WERE iron.

Heh... I knew hematite was iron (I found that out in some random crystal shop in the back of beyond) but it took me ages to figure out that limonite and magnetite were also iron. I kept trying to build stuff out of them, thinking they were non-economic stones. Then I found out that percentage signs and asterisks tend to mean ore stones (thank you malachite)...
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!
Pages: 1 [2] 3