Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The General Musing Thread  (Read 3009 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: The General Musing Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 11:00:44 am »

This seems an appropriate thread for this.

To get shit done, I have to trigger my fight instinct in times that don't make sense. I don't approach out of class work with any urgency and avoid it for as long as possible. And I hate that. It's unsustainable in the long run. If I am to succeed, I must learn to force myself to consider assignments as necessary in and of themselves. To 'fight' and eliminate them as stresses immediately, instead of waiting till the last second.

Perhaps that is what it means to 'pursue knowledge as a man who's hair on fire seeks water'.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 03:12:07 pm »

...If C is the conversion factor for time and space, and is effectively Causality, and matter can be described as m=E/C2, then the derivative of energy with respect to causality is P, momentum, originally known as persistence. Matter starts to lose it's identity as velocity approaches true zero (T=-273 C); logical, as you cannot divide by zero.

The universe is expanding, and it is expanding at an accelerating rate, where previously the rate of expansion was decreasing. Gravity is spacetime warping due to the existence of matter and/or energy. The amount of space being created over time is increasing, and/or it is a function of the area over which it exists. If the expansion rate of the universe can be modeled as a quadratic function, then the amount of space can be modeled as a cubic function, or d3/t. There are three spatial dimensions and one time dimension.

If the universe has a constant state of tension/energy, or the function of expansion/space is in some way dependent on existing space, and gravity/matter warps this, but the tension must remain the same, then space will expand where gravity is pulling on it, such that there is a net change in tension of zero. If this is limited somehow by the space available, then as objects drift together from gravity naturally agglomerating them, the available space to act on (if the density of the available space is a function of the tension on it, possibly logarithmic?) will decrease, and thus so will the rate of expansion.

But unless expansion slows to zero, it will continue, and there will once again be large amounts of space between larger bodies, which, due to gravity scaling with the inverse square of distance but space being 3-dimensional, not 2-dimensional, allows more expansion to occur, bringing the universe closer to the state of 'zero'/constant tension it would most 'prefer' to be in.

If Causality is C-1, then the derivative of causality would be [-]C-2, which is the conversion factor of matter and energy. If it is instead C, then it's antiderivative would be C2/2, but it is not E=mC2/2, despite KE=mV2/2.

This all seems extremely interconnected in some way that I'm just not quite getting and it's very...something. I'm not even sure how it's making me feel, other than like a conspiracy theorist.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 11:39:23 am »

"Cowards die many times before their deaths,
The valiant never taste of death but once."

That is a really cool quote. I've been thinking about how cool it is for a while now, and I have to let it out. It's just that cool.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 10:51:12 pm »

"Cowards die many times before their deaths,
The valiant never taste of death but once."
I prefer "The last man standing wins" :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 10:52:16 pm »

Mmmmm.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 07:53:09 pm »

After much introspection, I have decided that I am a proponent of idealistic interpretative language within the constraints of intertextuality, as opposed to positivist approaches within historiography.

Carry on.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 08:08:26 pm »

Say what?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 08:17:35 pm »

Heh, I've been reading "The Pursuit of History."

Idealism - there is value to the imagining of history. We can make a stab at emotional reasoning. Interpretative language - because all language is interpretative, it is hard to know whether what the text says is the truth. Therefore I employ intertextuality, as I don't want to be a deconstructionist (someone who believes language is so subjective, especially through time, that we can pretty much make no concrete claims) to propose that works have a common body of literature which gives them a shared language we can interpret.

This is as opposed to positivist approaches, which place history amongst the sciences and claims that history may either claim its own laws, or borrow generalisations from other fields. This, I believe, is definitely an important branch in a lot of cases, but the majority of the time I feel that an idealistic perspective is best for understanding the motives of the past.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 12:32:15 am »

How did I miss this thread? This is about as much my jam as my jam can get, and I don't even make jam!

Musing: The capitalization of the letter R is pretty much a little cute signpost with legs.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:34:00 am by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 02:46:02 am »

ptw
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 01:14:28 pm »

Musing: The capitalization of the letter R is pretty much a little cute signpost with legs.
How?
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2016, 01:50:31 pm »

How?

Spoiler: Six Hours in MSPaint (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2016, 02:31:11 pm »

Nice Rt.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2016, 06:27:52 pm »

Money!
Pages: 1 [2]