Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: View/Firing Distances  (Read 2501 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: View/Firing Distances
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 04:58:32 pm »

Nah, I'm talking about the marksdorfs that will jump off walls to charge a target with their crossbow stock held high... while also carrying a full quiver.  This may be a combination of things, though.  They jump off the wall to get a valid path to the target, then realize they are too close to fire and just charge in. 

However you slice it, marksdorfs are one dumb bunch of Urists.
That would be why my very first DF mod was to give crossbows bayonets.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 01:17:53 pm »

Nah, I'm talking about the marksdorfs that will jump off walls to charge a target with their crossbow stock held high... while also carrying a full quiver.  This may be a combination of things, though.  They jump off the wall to get a valid path to the target, then realize they are too close to fire and just charge in. 

However you slice it, marksdorfs are one dumb bunch of Urists.
That would be why my very first DF mod was to give crossbows bayonets.
I like this idea. Mind sharing your raw edit? I'm still quite noobish when it come to modding.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 05:11:53 am »

As bumber said. Military dwarves won't stray from the boundaries of a burrow that they've been scheduled to defend, unlike with station orders. So that lets you place your marksdwarves exactly where you want them. They will still aggro out of the burrow zone though. And including an overhand in your wall can make them less likely to jump out, while a trench directly under the fortifications with no path to the ground level and an overhang preventing climbing to the ground level will make jumping a non issue. So like this:

Code: [Select]
...__
...X_
__..O
O___O

Side view, where "O"s are walls, "."s are open spaces, "_"s are floor tiles and the "X" is a fortification.

Of note is that I had some success with equipping already trained melee dwarves with crossbows in 34.11... they'd either empty a quiver then charge or fire bolts while charging and sometimes in melee too. That helped a lot in ensuring that they survived the inevitable suicide charge.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 
Pages: 1 [2]