Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving dwarfs to exact location  (Read 1080 times)

madmenyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moving dwarfs to exact location
« on: May 25, 2013, 03:23:21 pm »

So i have a danger room and a vampire but i cant seem to move my dwarfs to the exact tile i want. I tried 1x1 burrow, assign them to point note, move them individually in a squad and more.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moving dwarfs to exact location
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 03:34:11 pm »

Assign them a lever to pull on repeat
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 04:03:10 pm »

So i have a danger room and a vampire but i cant seem to move my dwarfs to the exact tile i want. I tried 1x1 burrow, assign them to point note, move them individually in a squad and more.

If the objective is to get them into a danger room (ie. to train or perforate them, as applicable), giving them a lever assignment by itself won't be enough, because you need them to stand on the pointy bits, not the lever. It can be done using doors, a 1-tile wide corridor and one-stepping through the time until you can lock them in; just give them a task (Pull Lever /R) on the far side, then cancel it, wait for them to head back, and lock them in by forbidding doors on either side of the target square.

The 'easy' danger room setup also works, although obviously you'll have to wait for your victim brave vampire to equip and position themselves once their one-dwarf squad is set to a training order.

I tend to imprison vampire dwarves by making them the only mason and getting them to wall themselves in, which given the dwarven tendency to do that anyway is surprisingly effective - so you could get them to block themselves in that way before starting the spikes up.

Brilliand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 02:02:08 am »

I tend to imprison vampire dwarves by making them the only mason and getting them to wall themselves in, which given the dwarven tendency to do that anyway is surprisingly effective - so you could get them to block themselves in that way before starting the spikes up.

In the same vein, you could make them the only engraver and order them to smooth the floor that the spikes come out of (or the opposite wall, if the spikes block that).

If the danger room is in dirt, you could do the same thing with mining... though it would take a pick out of circulation, and would take some split-second timing to avoid making a hole.
The blood of our enemies is but a symbol.  The true domain of Armok is magma - mountain's blood.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 07:49:31 am »

If the danger room is in dirt, you could do the same thing with mining... though it would take a pick out of circulation, and would take some split-second timing to avoid making a hole.
You could use a deconstruction order on a pre-built wall instead, though you'd need to isolate the vampire within the general area first.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 03:39:21 pm »

You could use a deconstruction order on a pre-built wall instead, though you'd need to isolate the vampire within the general area first.

Yeah, you'd have to be extra careful because not only does the deconstruction of constructions not require any labor (and therefore cannot be selectively disabled), it is one of the few things children will do, and therefore you will tend to get all of the children running to start on this task instead of your vampire.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread