Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Great Victories or Fails thread  (Read 5193 times)

MouseParade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Great Victories or Fails thread
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 08:36:16 pm »

Year 2 comes along and I've got a really booming economy, I've found a magma tube and tons of iron/gold and I'm working on getting steel pumping out. I notice my economy is past the mythic "Big things will now invade you" mark.

I have only one hammerdwarf in my military that has only been doing solo training so far, as I'm fiddling about a Titan appears and the description of it was quite grisly talking about how it spits poison and other nasty quips.

It swoops into my fortress and I have it meet my hammerdwarf. I was really tentative on how this was going to play out, but I had no options.

My hammerdwarf manages to go around 20 pages of combat while dodging and making blows that would end up in the death of the titan while miraculously taking zero damage.

and this was the first real fight that the hammerdwarf got in.

KroganElite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2013, 10:35:18 am »

Year 2 comes along and I've got a really booming economy, I've found a magma tube and tons of iron/gold and I'm working on getting steel pumping out. I notice my economy is past the mythic "Big things will now invade you" mark.

I have only one hammerdwarf in my military that has only been doing solo training so far, as I'm fiddling about a Titan appears and the description of it was quite grisly talking about how it spits poison and other nasty quips.

It swoops into my fortress and I have it meet my hammerdwarf. I was really tentative on how this was going to play out, but I had no options.

My hammerdwarf manages to go around 20 pages of combat while dodging and making blows that would end up in the death of the titan while miraculously taking zero damage.

and this was the first real fight that the hammerdwarf got in.

That's pretty epic. Please tell me you made a magnificent mausoleum for him for the eventual hero's burial.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2013, 12:11:54 pm »

Great victory.  In dwarven healthcare no less.

Despite being a somewhat experienced fortress overseer, my recent no-invaders fortress has had its fair share of tragedy.  Specifically, lots of cave-in injuries, and there was also that one time I played for two hours but Invaders were set to ON so i got a few ambushes.  I decided all these things were no big deal, so by around year three I had a cheery little graveyard, no well, no hospital, no soap, and I hadn't even built any crutches or splints.  Then, DISASTER.  I had my biggest cave-in yet, which was still thankfully small, but with several casualties.  Some miners recieved minor broken bones, some had major injuries, but worst of all, by new baroness (who i liked) broke her hip and foot!  And her baby also broke its foot!  This was bad, but to make it worse, the human law-giver had just arrived to meet the baroness!  I suddenly had a time limit of at least two seasons before surface water would freeze, the baby would die, and probably before that the human diplomat would leave unhappy.  I knew this time I would actually have to do something, so I sprang into action designating a simple cistern that would be adequate for a year or two, built a well, converted the dormitory into a hospital, and disabled hauling on my medically-inclined immigrants (2 diagnosers, 2 surgeons, 2 bone doctors, 4 suturers/wound dressers).  My dwarves sprung into action.  The doctors were evaluating each patient every day, despite the fact that only a few of them went to the hospital, and others had gone to their beds.  Stitches and dressings were going everywhere.  Everyone had infections because the well and the soap weren't created fast enough, but people were still getting patched up.  At one point I noticed a miner was lying in bed, starving, dehydrated, and very unhappy.  He had the worst of the injuries (multiple smashed bones on multiple limbs), but no one was treating him.  I discovered he wasn't "resting"  I think he hobbled to his bed and collapsed without starting the actual rest job.  He even started throwing a cripple tantrum in his bed.  I deconstructed his bed and he was carried to the actual hospital, whereupon he was immediately forcefed some fresh water and a fish-cake.

Finally, Success!  The baroness received her crutch after being bedridden for three months, she scooped up her thirsty infant and fed it (fist pump).  She immediately held a cordial meeting with the human-law giver, and was pleased to see he was impressed by the meeting room.  The extremely hurt miner (he also had extreme blood loss) is now content having received ample attention in the hospital and I think he may even pull through!

tl;dr I had completely neglected all things hospital related, but I was able to get one up and running fast enough to save some dwarfs on demand.  So thank you Toady for all the bug fixes you threw in at the end of the last development cycle, a perenial source of frustration is now a source of joy  (despite the issues with hospital cloth/thread storage).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:27:04 pm by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 2 [3]