Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Great Victories or Fails thread  (Read 5198 times)

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Great Victories or Fails thread
« on: April 03, 2013, 04:48:46 pm »

This is a newer thread that will let you all post what victories or fails you have experienced in your Fortress!

--Here's mine--

24 dwarves currently in my fortress, one died from a Kobold thief. The thief was bombarded by two of my newer military men, armed with wooden spear and swords. The Kobald was chopped in half by a wooden sword. I was all 'Whoa.'

Your all's turn
¤MASTERWORK¤ Dwarf Fortress - V.3 -
 - A comprehensive mod pack with 25% higher FPS -

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Great Victories or Fails thread
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 05:28:30 pm »

Ha ha ha, that reminds me of a fight between an old Captain and her foe, the enigmatic minatour. As if to be as mocking as possible, she fought it with a wooden sword and won by rather nastily hacking off all of its extremities and giving it countless tiny cuts.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 05:40:03 pm »

'nother fail. A siege just began in my Fort, and about 200 humans came in and wiped out everyone except one of my war dogs. The war dog killed at least 54 humans and tore off one man's leg. Twas a good fight, but one of the humans shot the dog in the head with a blow gun.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 05:55:59 pm »

My untrained and unarmored millitary went out to kill a minotaur that arrived at year 2. The minotaur incapacitated almost everyone in my team of 7, mainly by bitting hands and feet off while bashing them with a wool cap. Only a maceman, who had arrived late, was still ok. He chased the minotaur to the other side of the map and attacked him. The minotaur dodged into a mountain and got stunned, so my maceman finished him. Now that maceman is an almost legendary axedorf (yes, as I want him to kill important stuff, I made him to train with an axe) and is also my militia commander. He spends his life killing skeletal turkeys since then.

MightyDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 05:57:38 pm »

'nother fail. A siege just began in my Fort, and about 200 humans came in and wiped out everyone except one of my war dogs. The war dog killed at least 54 humans and tore off one man's leg. Twas a good fight, but one of the humans shot the dog in the head with a blow gun.

A siege of 200 men ?! that's freaking huge, I never experienced more than 90/100 foes in any of my most advanced fortresses.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 06:02:37 pm »

A siege of 200 men ?! that's freaking huge, I never experienced more than 90/100 foes in any of my most advanced fortresses.

My second siege had about 100 creatures, and my third one three squads of cave dragons (plus giant toads, the usual gobbo animals and the gobbos themselves). It all depends on the RNG. Like when the third siege collided with a Necromancer assault. The whole lot of zombies where raised to find a Kobold ambush. It was a pain in the neck to clean the whole thing afterwards.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 06:31:37 pm »

so this roc called ecano olovadisa coniboyeque came to visit me, and i scored a great victory as i stood idly by and the roc ran into my cage trap.

now i have 2 rocs again, a un-tameable male war roc that got loose and is now trapavoid (dont ask how it happened, i dont know), and a female roc that i just caught and is tameable.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 03:00:28 am »

The war dog killed at least 54 humans
And what mod would that be?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 04:34:46 am »

Goblins ambushed my fort during its second spring. I had just had little... flooding accident and only three militiadwarves. I didn't manage to close the bridge early enough, so goblins were soon inside my fort. I was sure that the fort would succumb to its end in a matter of weeks.

But then there was one of the most epic battles in DF I've ever seen. It happened in a small corridor room, which was filling with water from the crack in its roof. Water ran through ramps downwards, so it was running 2/7-5/7 water. My three militiadwarves took their stand there. Two of them were slaughtered immedtially, but the last, female hammerdwarf somehow slaughtered every goblin swordsman remaining. The river tunning through my fortress to caverns turned to red for a moment. After the fight, the latest thought of that dwarf was "enjoyed lovely waterfall lately".

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 10:13:38 am »

so this roc called ecano olovadisa coniboyeque came to visit me, and i scored a great victory as i stood idly by and the roc ran into my cage trap.

now i have 2 rocs again, a un-tameable male war roc that got loose and is now trapavoid (dont ask how it happened, i dont know), and a female roc that i just caught and is tameable.

What you need is a kitten bait, a floor covered with cage traps and a cave-in trap to stun the Roc. Then, install it above the entrance to your Fortress as the new mascot.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 07:17:41 pm »

It's not a mod, well, it was the mod that allowed armored dogs, and my fortress was 40 in-game years old. I've been on and off on that one for about a year, and got well over 14009 dwarfs and 12 squads (that were all trapped under a caved-in cavern, ((trying to kill a troll)) while the miners were all killed when the siege began.) The dog was heavily armored, allowing him to have greater damage resistance. To everything but a dart to the forehead.

The fortress was taken over by the siege that had brought reinforcements to kill off the rest of the dwarfs and animals. The monarch got his head chopped off by an armored troll (how ironic), and they left with 40 years worth of loot.

The fate of the squads in the cavern was simple, they were all armed with adamantite armor and gear. Made mincemeat out of the troll, and survived about an hour until they all went mad, or died of starvation.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 08:25:36 pm »

got well over 14009 dwarfs

Dear Armok I hope FPS death isn't contagious...
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

DwarfOfTheLand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 10:28:45 pm »

I have to run that fortress on an alienware gaming laptop. The FPS max is 400, so ye.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 06:03:15 pm »

A crystal glass FB (beware its webs!) just showed up at my fortress. I sent in the miner's corps (soldiers wielding picks) and the marksdwarves, but the marksdwarves were dragging their feet. An excerpt from the combat log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, after a dozen pages worth of miners whacking at the beast with candy picks, a random marksdwarf walks up and chops it in half with a bone bolt.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 06:22:02 pm »

The miners softened it up. He he he.
Pages: [1] 2 3