Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - Card Game  (Read 10861 times)

Hoggypare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress - Card Game
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2012, 04:30:04 pm »

A side note: I am a software engineer and my best playtesters are actually QA from my dev team at work. They try intentionally to break the game. It is infuriating but really useful. If you know any QA engineers, try to get them to play your game. That is a guaranteed way to find bugs.
Yes, this.  I would make a terrible playtester for a game, for instance, because I tend to play games the way I think the designer intended for them to play, rather than looking for the easiest way to break them.  A lot of people are the same way, and even those that aren't might pick up on a broken combo that someone else missed.
I see what you mean, I will do my best but my options are limited. I think only a couple of my friends are into card games. Unfortunately I don't know any QA engineers, but those guys I said about have some experience with various ccg's, they played also in tournaments so I think it wouldn't be as bad. Also I'd ask you to playtest as well and I'd be really happy to hear your feedback.
I think soon I will release playtestable version and hopefully we'll get to polish it together :)

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2012, 09:14:01 pm »

Has there been a thread on Bay 12 about Card Hunter yet?

perhaps you should make one.

Here it is, from when the project first appeared online.  So nevermind.

A side note: I am a software engineer and my best playtesters are actually QA from my dev team at work. They try intentionally to break the game.

I tend to play games the way I think the designer intended for them to play, rather than looking for the easiest way to break them.  A lot of people are the same way, and even those that aren't might pick up on a broken combo that someone else missed.

I see what you mean, I will do my best but my options are limited. I think only a couple of my friends are into card games. Unfortunately I don't know any QA engineers, but those guys I said about have some experience with various ccg's, they played also in tournaments so I think it wouldn't be as bad.

For maximum effect, you want multiple kinds of playtesters.  Casual players who play how it was intended; hardcore game-smashers; people in between . . . and those other friends of yours who aren't into card games.  Seriously, if you can convince them to try something alien to them, they will tell you wonders.

--Rexfelum

Hoggypare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2012, 08:21:44 am »

Honestly, that is a good piece of advice I will follow. Also I am trying to play many various card games now to explore different mechanics (both online and physical ones). And I guess I will add shortly 2-3 early card designs to give you guys some visualisation of my idea. I think it would also help a lot in potential discussion.

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2012, 08:53:31 am »

So, any updates on how this is coming along?

I am still interested in seeing some prototypes some time.
What puts the "ape" in apricot?

Hoggypare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2012, 06:55:05 pm »

Sorry, I was busy with something else at the moment, which was sadly quite as unexpected as urgent. That is why the project somewhat slowed down, and since the discussion on forums kind of died, I didn't see any need to rush it when people lost interest. I mean I have some drawings ready, most 'dwarven' cards prototypes are ready (but still have some early balance issues) and hopefully in some near future (less than a week?) I can show you 3 or 4 "finished"(from design standpoint) cards.
I am really happy that someone is still interested in the game and the toppic isn't as forgotten as it seemed.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2012, 04:54:25 pm »

Sure, I remember it.  I only have so many topics I follow, so it's easy to notice when this one updates.

--Rexfelum

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 10:32:18 am »

When you are ready for some playtesting, send me a PM. I don't follow the forums super well most of the time.
What puts the "ape" in apricot?

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2012, 10:44:59 am »

I would like to try out the game too. :3
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]