Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The best way to use Wealth?  (Read 8276 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: The best way to use Wealth?
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2012, 10:07:58 pm »

I would:
A) Buy a modest house in a decently nice place with nice weather. No more than $100k, no matter how much I won. (I just don't want the hassle of a big ass house.)
B) Buy a decent, efficient car. Or, fix up my car and convert it into a hybrid.
C) Invest in a way that I can live comfortably on the interest (cycling CDs, I'm looking at you.)
D) Study everything of interest. Invest in my daughter's education.
E) Open a modest dojo.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2012, 10:09:19 pm »

I can see it now:

Maximum Zero Dojo:
Zero to Hero or your Money Back
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2012, 10:14:53 pm »

Disney would sue me. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2012, 10:19:18 pm »

Disney would sue me. :P
BECOME THE DISNEY

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2012, 10:54:58 pm »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: The best way to use Lottery winnings?
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2012, 09:40:39 am »

Invest. No matter what you can do with 10 million dollars (or whatever), you can do better with 10x to 100x more.

Yeah. Currently investing in a future market exchange thing, and life couldn't get better. In fact, this is the only time I finally achieved much cash in any given time of my life.

You just have to be aware of the ponzi schemers.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2012, 08:00:01 am »

one thing I'm wondering...

what if your investment buggers up and you go broke?
Wich is why you spread your investments out over both safe (CD, T-notes/bills/bonds, municiple/corporate bonds) and risky (Stock, futures, currency hedge...). If your T-bill goes belly-up, you've probably got a much more serious problem than not having your money, ie the country you live in going bankrupt.

Besides, stocks are awesomely safe over the long run. Long run being 10 to 30 years or more :3

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2012, 08:16:07 am »

One does not simply invest all their money in one thing.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2012, 08:26:21 am »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:58:05 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2012, 08:31:06 am »

That's pretty cool Truean. Maybe the most realistic plan for the starting steps to... Uh. Whatever that would be called... That I have seen.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2012, 09:46:51 am »

I thought of another (very long-term) investment: buy a load of expensive wine and let it mature, then sell it at a higher price.

problem is, whilst you're waiting for it to mature, you're gonna have to work.

And resist the urge to drink it yourself !

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2012, 04:01:23 pm »

Firstly, I would hire Truean for an indefinite period of time to make sure I don't screw something up and lose it all on a triviality I didn't know about.

Fifthly, I would invest the rest, with the now-hired Truean's assistance, until I finished college. With my newly acquired funds I would increase my intended time in college from my current four years to acquiring a PhD in my field, because fuck you I want to be a doctor.

I'm sure we could work something out in this situation. :) Thanks for thinking of me. The first step is financial sustainability.... Turns out the machinery of modern life does require some expertise to run....

Buy up foreclosed property for pennies on the dollar, especially in blighted areas, consolidate the land parcels via lot merging. Bulldoze existing structures if in disrepair (they would be) or rehab if salvageable. Rebuild affordable/profitable housing with rent lower than comparable local alternatives. Pay staff for residential building in free rent and perhaps a small paycheck besides. Make housing simple, but respectable. Include commercial office space, also affordable. Goal is to make $800/year off each unit (residential or commercial) in profit after all expenses, taxes, etc. Predatory real estate market revamp/cornering that incidentally provides cheap rent for tenants. Include all utilities in rent, including satilite TV and wifi.

Incorporate financial planning/tax preparation/accountancy company. Provide service $10 per transaction cheaper than competition. Give hiring preference to tenants of buildings owned by boss/offer tenancy as perk. Cross reference with law firm, which might also be incorporated. People need financial/legal services and it makes a great package deal. Consider also incorporating realty firm.

Incorporate landscaping company. Give hiring preference to tenants of buildings owned by boss/offer tenancy as perk. Wage of landscaping workers = $10/hour, but rent would be about $500/month for a three bedroom apartment, all utilities included.

Incorporate salon/massage/spa as an affordable choice for consumers. Encourage staff to be dual certified in cosmetology (cutting hair etc) and massage therapy. Consider having small, practical clothing boutique/tailor/seamstress right next door and possibly linked via internal door. Give hiring preference to tenants of buildings owned by boss/offer tenancy as perk.

Incorporate repair/small contracting/construction firm. All employees provide services to residential/commercial buildings owned by parent company. Give hiring preference to tenants of buildings owned by boss/offer tenancy as perk. This allows retention of service for parent company while farming out that expertise to others affordably.

Incorporate automobile sales/repair firm. Purchase repo cars and auction cars with dealership license. Have small reputable lot on corner with residential/commercial buildings. Have well designed catalog of inventory stored in warehouse. Make shop and salesfloor appear high end. Consists of a sales floor that only has computers/books showing car inventory. Customers can request to have a car brought around to test drive/see. Nothing sold without full point mechanical inspection via garage mechanic. Again, hiring preference to tenants of buildings owned by boss/offer tenancy as perk.

Consider personal rate cuts/discounts for all/employee tenants in services provided by the parent company. Make it up on tonnage of work completed, while saving labor costs and providing value to the employees with non monetary benefits.
That's probably the best plan I've ever seen, next to "Put all the money in a big pile and roll around in it."

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2012, 09:50:25 pm »

I would totally build a Supervillain style Volcano Lair.....and then pull a boatmurdered on anyone who pissed me off XD
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]