Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The best way to use Wealth?  (Read 8283 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: The best way to use Wealth?
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2012, 06:08:45 pm »

Honestly, I'd probably figure out how much I could spent on a year-by-year basis and just budget myself with it, using the free time to help out with charities, study the sciences and work on whatever personal projects catch my fancy.

Maybe use whatever is left from the budgeting to get a business off the ground or just fund peoples crazy ideas without imposing myself too much on them. Invest but as a side project to better the world or at least help a few people get into a position where they can make their dream projects or ideas come true, not setting out to increase my own personal wealth since I'm already budgeted. All profits would go back into the eternal dream engine.

But I don't really want for much most days. Never really wished I had more money in a year where I was just scrapping by on the skin of my teeth with just a student loan.

Or you know, become Batman.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:12:11 pm by MorleyDev »

kidhedera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2012, 07:49:07 pm »

I'm a bit of a dragon when it comes to wealth.

Nothing makes me happier than having all my cash in a bank account so I can look at it.

If I had enough money, I would probably build a house with a high security vault in it, so that I could actually put a Dragons Hoard in there. Lots of shiny things. Then I would take my girlfriend in there, and we would roll around in it and cackle madly. I would want lots of gold coins, and boxes full of oversized gem stones. And maybe a throne made of mahogany with pictures of dragons carved on it (menacing with spikes of awesome?). And I'd get an expensive and exotic pet, like a red panda or snow leopard or something.

In reality though, I'd probably end up doing something really stupid and giving it all away. I know this, because last time I had a large financial windfall the money lasted less than 6 months before it had all been given to a charity. Because I'm a sucker, and I just want to help. (In hind sight - totally not worth it. If I could do over, I would have used the money to move interstate, gotten another job, and put a deposit on a house. The problem is, I always think my days of being stupidly generous are over... until next time a beggar/charity worker/homeless person looks my way, and suddenly, POOF, I decide that i can totally spare my grocery budget for some stranger.)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2012, 08:05:35 pm »

Well for my services to my church, they are offering me to put my money away in a annuity which seems like a good choice for some guaranteed income when im brittle (plus i would blow my cash in a heart if in lump sum :P)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2012, 08:06:45 pm »

I have an idea: I'd advertise my richness, go to random bars, clubs, and so forth, attract as many women as possible, and do everything in my power to put them off from going after rich men for the rest of their lives.

That would include bringing a wad of cash with me; tipping 200%-400% or more to the servers and such, but as for the dates with the girls, sorry, I spent most of my money being respectful to my fellow workers that have been  busting their asses to make our night enjoyable. They deserve my money more than the person only dating me because I'm rich.

Bitter as that sounds, it would still be funny watching their expression change as I call their bluff of "newfound interest in me" (considering my usual luck with women; it's too easy to call them out. I can spot them from the ass-end of the Earth. I love to lead them on for a whole night or longer, keep denying them the possibility of taking things further (I would never use my richness to take advantage and sleep with, basically a harem of sorts. To me, that's equivalent to cheating.), keep being generous to those deserving of it; and then drop them with an inescapable situation that would spoil their poker face in full public if they persisted (hint: many of the people I tip out most generously would be in on it)), and actually respect the people they would normally, or usually, disrespect because of the "I'm rich, bitch!!!!" mentality.

Considering I respect people that serve me more than the woman I know is using me, I only suspect that they'll find a way to get back at me by sending messages to a huge mess of charities about how much money I have, and use my generosity against me. Now I have nothing against donating to charity, but to weaponize them in order to bankrupt me, or to make me look like a dick if I have to refuse any of them for any reason; that's low. As far as I know, that actually seems like a realistic consequence of doing that if they don't get any lesson from my actions to change their ways. Could also be a consequence of me not EVER giving them the opportunity to weaponize pregnancy against me to drain me by an alternative means. I know their psychology well enough to at least have the foresight of consequences, and sheer hostility.

Money, it corrupts. Not as much money, itself, that's the root of evil; rather, it's the intent behind having/wanting it, that is.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 08:22:50 pm by Itnetlolor »

kidhedera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2012, 08:17:36 pm »

@Tellemurius

Check the legislation for your local area regarding church/religion based 'investment' schemes. Here in Australia there are some problems with some of those schemes cos there is no legislated regulation of the financial activities of religious institutions. There was some trouble about 10 years ago when a pastor gave in to temptation and skipped town with his congregations retirement money. The problem for the congregation was, what he did was perfectly legal (although horribly unethical), so they had no recourse to get their investments back, and meanwhile he'd moved away to another country.

So you know, always best to be on the safe side.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2012, 08:18:10 pm »

@Tellemurius

Check the legislation for your local area regarding church/religion based 'investment' schemes. Here in Australia there are some problems with some of those schemes cos there is no legislated regulation of the financial activities of religious institutions. There was some trouble about 10 years ago when a pastor gave in to temptation and skipped town with his congregations retirement money. The problem for the congregation was, what he did was perfectly legal (although horribly unethical), so they had no recourse to get their investments back, and meanwhile he'd moved away to another country.

So you know, always best to be on the safe side.
America=taxed the shit out of

Also considering they been going for 200 years i think they are safe.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2012, 08:31:50 pm »

Money, it corrupts. Not as much money, itself, that's the root of evil; rather, it's the intent behind having/wanting it, that is.
Nah, it on its own doesn't corrupt, it's the craving for more. Money is just what it is, a concept for value - and humans always want moear value. Which is why I'd buy some natural cave system or something. Lasts longer.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2012, 10:00:26 pm »

Nah, it on its own doesn't corrupt, it's the craving for more. Money is just what it is, a concept for value - and humans always want moear value. Which is why I'd buy some natural cave system or something. Lasts longer.

Did you just "correct" him and say the same thing?

On topic: If I had a lot of money? I would build a spacestation which harvested solar power. Just to see if it can be done and help finance progress (with the promise of possible returns on my investment). Oh, and live there occasionally, of course.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2012, 10:38:18 pm »

Did you just "correct" him and say the same thing?
No I just offered my own opinion about the same topic with a differing view.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2012, 10:45:06 pm »

As soon as I get enough money I'm buying 50 acres in the middle of the forest somewhere in British Columbia to build a yurt on and then I'll live like a hermit doing whatever the heck I want.  Also I'll get 2 dogs and goat.

That is my wealth plan.

Make that 2 yurts, I'm coming with you.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

kidhedera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2012, 11:32:25 pm »

Also considering they been going for 200 years i think they are safe.

Fair enough! My country has barely been around that long, so you know, concept of 200 year old institution is a beyond my tiny australian brain! :D

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2012, 12:58:20 am »

Either ensuring sustainable food supplies worldwide or blasting the WBC into the fiery orb.  Either one.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2012, 08:31:04 pm »

First priority is paying off all of my immediate family's debt. Then match whatever the communit donates to Toady for the month of the next release, then paying for uni, then personal wants, such as a real computer, musical instruments, etc. remainder is sat on or invested so that I can avoid work for a while (possibly even for life).
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2012, 09:49:33 pm »

As soon as I get enough money I'm buying 50 acres in the middle of the forest somewhere in British Columbia to build a yurt on and then I'll live like a hermit doing whatever the heck I want.  Also I'll get 2 dogs and goat.

That is my wealth plan.

Make that 2 yurts, I'm coming with you.

Man, I'll have as many yurts as I can.  I was thinking of a dedicated hot-tub yurt.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2012, 09:56:28 pm »

Better to just find hot springs and stick yurt over it. Less effort and potential tourism.

Minor chance of being cooked or whatever, I guess, but hot springs worth risk.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5