Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mining drop rates  (Read 5989 times)

peccan

• Bay Watcher
  • Ennen kuin pimeä tulee...
    • View Profile
Re: Mining drop rates
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012, 04:01:43 am »

Two whole months, by golly, that's simply awful.

It wasn't locked right?  :-\ And anything I had to say was strictly in the context of this topic, it's not like creating another topic just to say "yeah, if we some day get "digging" for faster, low-drop work and "mining" for slower, high-drop work, it would be cool to..." would have been better right? And I wasn't merely repeating what others had said right?

IMO a perfectly reasonable necro.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:16:22 am by peccan »

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2012, 09:11:43 am »

(...)

Digging = Clear that rock, I don't care if I get anything.
Mining = Carefully (slowly) cut rock into boulders, for further use, 1 per tile every time.

(...)
Actually that sound pretty good. If needed, you can cut vast swathes, regardless of what you get, or take a very slow appraoch to get the stones/ores you want or need.

Genius.

Genius

My text support is bigger, I win.

~post~
you DO realize this topic was about 2 months dead untill you posted in it?

I've seen threads necroed that haven't had any activity in years. Two months is nothing. :D
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2012, 09:45:57 am »

very true. Still, you'd need to dig pretty deep into the pages before finding it. Noone complains about it anymore (much) and it's now just taken as fact. People find they still have too much stone as long as they just use blocks for constructions, lignite and bitumous coal got fixed, so the last remaining issue is for when you're low on flux stones and want to make a lot of steel, then the drop makes things a bit annoying.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2012, 11:31:13 am »

Don't forget that skilled Stonecrafters can create as many as 3 items from a single stone. And that you can still use obsidian casting if you need more.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 12:52:41 pm »

The problem with necros is that they can dredge up out of date information, and if someone isn't paying attention they may think that it's current information.

For example, in this thread Quietust complains about coal now being useless, however he made that statement prior to the boost in coke production from bituminous coal and lignite.  This kind of thing can confuse people unnecessarily, and is why you should try to avoid necros like this.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:54:25 pm by HiEv »
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2012, 01:32:13 pm »

The problem with necros is that they can dredge up out of date information, and if someone isn't paying attention they may think that it's current information.

For example, in this thread Quietust complains about coal now being useless, however he made that statement prior to the boost in coke production from bituminous coal and lignite.  This kind of thing can confuse people unnecessarily, and is why you should try to avoid necros like this.

True, but hopefully they could continue reading, and get to say your post, and realize it's no longer the case. After all, I almost never use the coke from rocks, I never find any. EVER. So I have to rely on magma/coal. However, even with the latest version, I find the same problem in that I have a super small amount of coal, and maybe 5 flux stones. I can't reply on steel at all, unless I import some steel stuff and melt it down. I don't understand how I'm supposed to outfit 2 full groups of soldiers with steel equipment when I barely have the resources to make half-group's worth of steel items. I don't use DFhack or mess with the raws to make anything drop more stone, I play vanilla all the way.

Edit: Also, just to annoy Garath, I might have to hunt down the board's oldest post and necro it. Necro it hard. All night long.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2012, 04:08:36 pm »

True, but hopefully they could continue reading, and get to say your post, and realize it's no longer the case. After all, I almost never use the coke from rocks, I never find any. EVER. So I have to rely on magma/coal. However, even with the latest version, I find the same problem in that I have a super small amount of coal, and maybe 5 flux stones. I can't reply on steel at all, unless I import some steel stuff and melt it down. I don't understand how I'm supposed to outfit 2 full groups of soldiers with steel equipment when I barely have the resources to make half-group's worth of steel items. I don't use DFhack or mess with the raws to make anything drop more stone, I play vanilla all the way.

Edit: Also, just to annoy Garath, I might have to hunt down the board's oldest post and necro it. Necro it hard. All night long.

just click last in the pages thingy? Oh wait, no last... page 1391, should be an interesting thread
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 2 [3]