Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: SeaMenace, A community Ship - Back to raiding  (Read 23281 times)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: SeaMenace, A community Ship - Easy pickings
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2021, 12:26:28 am »

That would be pretty good. I don't know the deities of the world, so i don't know if there are any better ones.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2021, 01:41:46 am »

I want in.
I am Spriggans the (crazy) astronomer, who believes this world is actually Round, not flat.
I have decided to join the crew to proove my point.

Speaking of, I believe we dont have any library in this ship right ?
I complain to the captain ! I want some books to study !

Edit: just read we found some books already ! Hey ! I'll complain anyway !
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 01:44:31 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2021, 02:20:11 am »

Edit: just read we found some books already ! Hey ! I'll complain anyway !
I daresay we are the only ship on the water of tempting that has a library! I shall add you at earliest opportunity.  The number of books is low, but if we get around to that tower will certainly grow
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2021, 04:36:36 am »

I like how my dwarf ended up being a raid leader that seems to kill any thing that gets close, how many kills does he have?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2021, 07:47:19 pm »

AUTUMN/WINTER 258

Ill news greets us at the start of autumn.  Maloy the fisherdwarf has yet to catch a single fish!! It turns out our fishing platforms are not up to the job. The leading theory is this; the ship is too large and scares away any fish with its wake, so the only way to fish is to use a much smaller boat tethered out nearby.
 Despite the animals we captured and our farm (such as it is) this necessitated we stop again to forage plants without the extra food from fishing, we also cut down some of the trees of the mire of obstacles to get the wood with which to construct our new fishing boat. 
Spoiler: From above (click to show/hide)
You can see here the only point of access is a long treacherous rope connecting The Lionfish with the boat.  Any suggestions for a name for her?  If any kind of flying creature beset the dwarves clambering across it would be very dangerous indeed.  The results however were immediate, and fish started rolling in, freeing us to use all our plants for booze.  One last plant-based hurrah from our ship's cook though:
I have to say our lack of self-sufficiency thus far is disappointing!  I only hope we can learn and become more so as our voyage continues, especially if we wish to travel further across the open seas
For those asking about the gods and the figurehead, there is only one other god worth mentioning! San, the Goddess of the Sea!
This stop delayed our raiding significantly, especially since trees are not as dense in the fondled fields where we put ashore we had to venture further to get good timber
There is good news though, Tun our violent metalsmith has recovered merely to a “stressed” state after taking a break for a few seasons, so no overboard-throwing will be needed.

While preparing Smoot wasted no time practicing and looked quite untouchable while sparring!
Spoiler: against a spearMASTER (click to show/hide)

At last, our seasons raiding started with two small hamlets, Peacefuladored and Silkyvoice
Spoiler: Peacefuladored (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Silkyvoice (click to show/hide)

It seems that our deeds have finally caught up to us though, a band of human soldiers blocked our path on the way back to the ship from SilkyVoice.
Spoiler: A formidable band (click to show/hide)
Never let anyone say the crew of the Lionfish shy away from a fight!  We charged in, Smoot, King Zultan and Delphonso took part in this battle, with the rest of the raiders.
Spoiler: Charging in (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: In the thick of it (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The result (click to show/hide)

It was over quickly but unfortunately two dwarves lay slain, The Axedwarf Zuglar Nolethimsuh and the Lasher Muthkat Debbenkubuk.  It seems adapting human weapons for our purposes did not pay off.
To replace these losses we sent a small inland party to the great fortress of orbdepth.  Obviously such a mighty place was built by dwarven hands, but alas has fallen under the rule of the human Nation of Urges.  We found a few dwarves sick of human rule and willing to join us on our adventures.  Among them a dwarf who claims to look at the open sky as a JOB.
Spoiler: Spriggan (click to show/hide)
Meanwhile all the oversized human armor was hauled aboard to melt down, a lot of valuable iron there!

Before the year was out we also had time to visit the monastery of inchedsparkles. The place was abandoned and all we were able to gather was some old records of the monastery itself.  Should make for mediocre reading at least.
As requested here’s a kill tally for King Zultan, and while we’re at it everyone else who has any kills.
Spoiler: King Zultan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Smoot (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Metruption (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Delphonso (click to show/hide)

As the year comes to an end we continue south, there are many more weak towns and monasteries here in the fondled fields to raid in spring, before we think about whether or not we want to mess with the towers you may have noticed further south on our map.
Spoiler: Proposed route (click to show/hide)
For now, the question is do we want to hit the castle of Lionbalance?  Just inland of inchedsparkles, it will be a properly fortified target, however with how our raid on Guiserings went I am confident we can pull it off.  What does the crew think?

Spoiler:  BEHIND THE SCENES (click to show/hide)

I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: SeaMenace, A community Ship - Now with a second, smaller boat
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2021, 08:54:04 pm »

I've always wanted a throne for myself - take the castle's!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2021, 09:21:12 pm »

I've always wanted a throne for myself - take the castle's!

Well, we could always try and capture this castle permanently for you?  Would be a useful base for recruits and materials, would you want to stay behind and rule it if so?

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2021, 10:14:24 pm »

I say we park where we are, and raid and spread terror through all the sites within reach, including the castle and fort.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2021, 10:22:34 pm »

yeah it's probably a good idea to do more repeat raiding here, after raiding the castle will probably go about doing this

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2021, 03:26:08 am »

Lets raid everything and leave nothing behind!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2021, 03:37:28 am »

Call the tiny ship the Fishing keel, and call it a day.

As for what to do next, I Spriggan, call for safety !
I don't want to risk my knowledge falling to the ennemy, was I to be captured...

Our suprise raid parties are too random I feel.
I think the boat needs a taller crow's nest.
That way, we could spy our targets defenses better, and reduce the randomness !
Think about it ! Seeing the others before they see us ! Expanding this would be glorious !

Yay... If I had enough influence on this ship. I'd say we need to expand the crow's nest ASAP !
Maybe make it higher ? No, actually, make it more cozy ! :D

You can see the stars unbelievably well from up there, but it really gets cold at night !
Ideally, I'd want to have my bed and belongings moved up there, in a warm wind-proof room, beneath a clear glass roof.

Maybe I can work on this project by myself in secret ? :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 03:42:29 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2021, 07:42:46 am »

Well, we could always try and capture this castle permanently for you?  Would be a useful base for recruits and materials, would you want to stay behind and rule it if so?

I may be a pirate, but I'm not one to pretend to be something I'm not. I can't claim a castle until I've made my name as a proper sea-warrior! Look at my paulty kill-count!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2021, 08:45:17 am »

My dreams of being a fisherman pirate are half-crumbling  :'(

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2021, 03:04:51 pm »

Spoiler: more behind the scenes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 03:29:44 pm by neblime »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2021, 09:27:15 am »

SPRING/SUMMER 259
Spring sun shines clearly on the deck, and another girl was born on board.  I wonder if a whole generation can be born and raised all on the ship?

In preparation for our main raid on Lionbalance, the human fortress we tried to sneak in without detection and see what we could find
we managed to grab many very boring books, but one actually stands out as a good find:
Spoiler: Sneaking in (click to show/hide)
Having judged their defences to be weak the main attack begun:
Spoiler: Attack on lionbalance (click to show/hide)
Quite a few humans, 31 in fact, defending, but they are no match for our raiders, led by King Zultan we killed 8 and withdrew suffering no losses!
immediately afterwards a second attack was organised:
A decisive result!  With no significant defence left we took what was left, given that their library was already empty there wasn't much to get.
Spoiler: Paltry loot (click to show/hide)
But now that the fortress has been dealt with with the surrounding hamlets are defenseless and ours for the taking!
After some time for our dwarves to recover, with a specific aim to obtain more animals for the ship we set forth to the prosperous villages of plungesearch and sprymatch:
Spoiler: Raid on plungesearch (click to show/hide)
The raiding dwarves set about what can only be described as a series of brutal executions!  hopefully this will teach these humans not to resist and hand over their possessions without a fight next time.
Spoiler: Sprymatch Raid (click to show/hide)
At any rate nothing organised to pose a threat to our brave crew
Spoiler: The spoils (click to show/hide)
The have a lot of birds in these parts!  That's very good for us, eggs can provide a steady source of food.  Eagles seem very useful while traversing the seas too, able to fly over and harass enemy vessels and keep an eye out from the sky for us.  What does the crew think shall we try and breed up the eagles and assign them or just use them for eggs like the others?  Unfortunately eagles cannot be trained for war but even without training may be helpful.
As for the cats, they can survive easily on a ship not needing to graze of course, and could be a good source of food as well. Some dwarves may balk at the idea of a diet of mainly cat meat, but then not all dwarves are cut out for the sailor's life.

For the time being though cat meat will not be necessary, Farvin is making the most of the horrors from the deep Maloy keeps hauling up

Since we haven't travelled very far we heard word from the locals that silkyvoice, which we raided in winter, has offiial pledged their allegiance to King Zasit, of our own kingdom, the Lustrous spear
Spoiler: A wise choice (click to show/hide)
though not our doing directly, no doubt they only did so to avoid further raids from us.  I can assure all of the crew none of our activites have been undertaken to line the king's pockets. Hopefully if the king's servants ever catch up with us they will take a positive view of our activities now at least.

That other dwarf we took on board during winter has studied all the books we recover most diligently, but he has been saying all sorts of crazy things, about building a structure atop the crows nest of all places?  And he insists it have glass?  Well it is known that when dwarves insist on strange nonsensical constructions, often including obscure materials like glass, it's best to give them what they want.  We have begun adjustments to the galley to fit a glass kiln, and will put ashore during autumn or winter to obtain some sand.

For the autumn and winter we will remain in the area and take what we can from the surrounding hamlets, no major resistance is to be expected.   we will also need to put ashore to gather a significant amount of wood, it amazes me how much the ship uses on a day to day basis, mostly for melting down our metal spoils and turning them into deadly ballista arrowheads.
Spoiler: Our location (click to show/hide)

Here's a shot of the lower deck, note the many birds and cats, finally we had an excuse to use some of those empty rooms, to make a separate pasture for the cats.

Delphonso spoke of being worthy of a throne or something if he kills enough people, he will be pleased to hear he managed to score a few more kills this season:
Spoiler: Delphonso kills (click to show/hide)

As always im happy to take on more crew members, we still have room for lots more, so if you want to join the crew post your name, profession and if you want to take part in raids.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11