Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945228 times)

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #7155 on: February 04, 2014, 10:46:33 am »

So I just started a Glitch, and the random generator came up with the name "Jim Beam".

Heh. For those that don't know, that's an alcoholic Whisky + Cola mix, popular in Australia and the US.

It's not a mix, it's an actual Kentucky Bourbon whiskey. You can use it to mix, but it's like saying that Jack Daniels is a whisky + cola mix...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7156 on: February 04, 2014, 12:04:14 pm »

Can you tell I don't drink it? The most common incarnation I see by the side of the road in the bad suburbs is usually whisky + cola, but I think I have seen it sold as just Whisky.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7157 on: February 04, 2014, 12:05:16 pm »

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: February 04, 2014, 12:13:13 pm »

It's the grindy-est pile of turds I've ever played, and I played Diablo for several years. Just avoid it for your own sanity.

/run whiteknight.exe

If you had bothered to check, you probably would have noticed it got updated yesterday. Including

Most research Pixel cost Drastically reduced (Mostly in the machine prices).

It gets updated nearly every day and things are always changing, its had 93 updates since it released in December. There's a reason it's in the top 5 mods on playstarbound, and will soon have its own wiki. Also, the gear is not the point of the mod. The point is building up an industrial system to increase productivity.

Also, the version you played wasn't even a proper release, it was a release candidate so people could give feedback. It also has BETA plastered on every version number. So next time you want to insult something someone has put a lot of work into for free, actually investigate what it is you're playing, and if you don't like something titled Beta RC6, you maybe, just maybe should consider giving polite critical feedback instead of trying to scare people off it? Maybe?

/terminate whiteknight.exe

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7159 on: February 04, 2014, 12:25:52 pm »

Custom Spaceships are an excellent mod. It shows what this game needs to be like. I want to make improvements to the spaceship a constant part of the game. I want to upgrade the generator, run cables, add a mining laser, supercharge the engine, add a hydroponics bay and a research lab...

It could be so cool!

There's two major mistakes that they can still fix in this game:
1: Grind. I don't want a career, I want a game. Each session (of maybe 45 minutes to 2 hours) should allow me to make substantial advancement of my goals.
2: Linearity. This is the same problem that Terraria has. To make the best pickaxe, you need the second-best pick, and to make that, you need the third-best, all the way down to the very worst. This is just plain stupid. If I find enough gold to make (an absurd) gold pick, then let me make a gold pick! If I scan Alpha Quadrant enough, then I should eventually be able to find a single gun, or an alternative way to advance. This is a fantastic open-world game- don't mitigate it's best feature in the cause of organizing each player's experience.

There is a minor third thing. It's great where it is science fiction. I love it. But when I build a campfire on the floor of my spaceship in order to cook something, that ambiance is lost. When I fuel my hyperjumps by dumping coal into the engine, I don't feel like a space astronaut.

I enjoy this game. I just hope they focus on what makes the game unique and special, or else it will just turn into Terraria 2: Penguin Boogaloo.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: February 04, 2014, 12:51:42 pm »

It's the grindy-est pile of turds I've ever played, and I played Diablo for several years. Just avoid it for your own sanity.

/run whiteknight.exe

If you had bothered to check, you probably would have noticed it got updated yesterday. Including

Most research Pixel cost Drastically reduced (Mostly in the machine prices).

It gets updated nearly every day and things are always changing, its had 93 updates since it released in December. There's a reason it's in the top 5 mods on playstarbound, and will soon have its own wiki. Also, the gear is not the point of the mod. The point is building up an industrial system to increase productivity.

Also, the version you played wasn't even a proper release, it was a release candidate so people could give feedback. It also has BETA plastered on every version number. So next time you want to insult something someone has put a lot of work into for free, actually investigate what it is you're playing, and if you don't like something titled Beta RC6, you maybe, just maybe should consider giving polite critical feedback instead of trying to scare people off it? Maybe?

/terminate whiteknight.exe
Looking at what the mod offers, I think the problem is that the basic premise of the mod is flawed. Of the many, many things it adds, a very large part is just advancing your so-called technological level, without any tangible returns. I.e. you build a workshop that allows you to make a resource that allows you to build another workshop that might end up actually resulting in something that's not a workshop or a resource to build a workshop.

It's a very interesting approach all in all, but in Starbound it is severely hampered by the simple limitation - every item is unique. There is no "copper sword", "iron sword", "steel sword", "silver sword", "depleted uranium sword", etc. Any new materials must have items explicitly defined to use them, otherwise they are useless. So Industrialization ends up being a lot of workshops that make other workshops and nothing else. Vanilla Starbound has a simple, yet sensible approach. While I agree that more materials could be useful and fun, the underlying system has to change first - otherwise the mod will not achieve the "variety" it seems to strive for, at least not in any reasonably foreseeable future - it's just too much work.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:53:14 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: February 04, 2014, 01:24:24 pm »

Wild Turkey is better. :P
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7162 on: February 04, 2014, 02:18:05 pm »

Yep, I specifically updated it yesterday to try out the "reduced costs" they added, which still did nothing to change the fact that it's grinding 10X the materials you'd need to progress, just to make other workshops to make more workshops to spend money to grind.

There may very well be SOMEthing good at the end of it, but if it takes me 2 days of exclusive work mining to get to the point where I see something new that ISN'T grinding for more mining, it needs work.

Oh, and I left them a comment, and was told that to fix my "having trouble collecting resources" problem, I should install a different miner pseudocheat mod.

It may very well be good in the future if they add something of practical value to the progression, but right now all it is is busywork that rewards you with more busywork. My assessment stands.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: February 04, 2014, 05:40:30 pm »

There are a couple points that are being missed here:

1. If you start trying to grind up through it in Alpha Sec, you're going to take forever. No shit. I didn't bother with much beyond the initial macerator and electric furnace until I hit Delta, at which point it really took off in my eyes because it gave me things to work toward.

2. @Sean: Did you not bother testing it out before offering an opinion? The core element of it is that you're putting in a lot of effort to build up this resource base, but once you have, the menial tasks in SB are much less painful. I won't deny that's it's really fucking expensive in terms of pixels (I think I've put something like 85,000 pixels into it, and I've not hit the end of the tech tree yet), but the payoff is great. Now that I've done that, I can drop a pile of 500 ore into my hybrid macerator, pull out a stack of 1000 dust a minute or so later, drop that into my hybrid electric furnace, and get out a pile of 1000 ingots in another minute or so. It doubles the output you get per ore, but more importantly, it vastly speeds up the smelting times.

There are also machines that do things like turn iron into steel and titanium into durasteel without using coal, turn petals into stimpacks, etc. They all take time to build up to, but it makes things much smoother. Even though SB is still in beta and the mod is still rough around the edges, it offers a lot of content; of that, it's either stuff that exists to allow you to progress through it, or (this is the final-product stuff) stuff that removes a lot of the tedium from vanilla. More than that, though, it's a good stopgap, because it gives people something to do in endgame beyond showing off in multiplayer or wishing quests were in already.

Really, though, the ironic part of this in my eyes is that people so quickly transition from lambasting the people that want to skip the vanilla grind for being casuals to bashing this mod for being too grindy. That, and the fact that grind added by a mod is somehow bad while grind in vanilla is good, because reasons. Gotta love that hypocracy, eh?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: February 04, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »

I haven't tried the mod, but from the sound of it, the grind needed to reach this level of usefulness is far more than the vanilla grind. And aren't the same people lambasting both grinds here?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: February 04, 2014, 06:14:32 pm »

Not from what I can tell. That aside, that's sort of the point: the stuff you get out of the mod is pretty powerful, but it isn't just given to you. Though TBH the main thing (the increase in ore processing efficiency/speed) only accounted for maybe a third of the investment I mentioned. The nice part, though, is that because it's basically endgame content, it's only grind if you treat it as grind. Most of the time when I make more of the tech tree stuff for it, it's because I realized that I had way too many ingots and voxels sitting around, so I used some of them for R&D to free up space. :x

But yeah, don't try to get very far in it if you're still in a low sector, it's very much endgame oriented from very early into the mod content.

3. Run Resize Enable

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: February 04, 2014, 06:32:02 pm »

I could really use a mod that brightens the night, possibly and preferably without affecting the underground. (Not really sure if that's possible.) Don't tell me to up the gamma/brightness of my monitor, that is not a solution.

I find it entirely inconvenient to basically have to spend half my surface time sitting in a cave because the alternative is squinting at the screen to make sure I'm not running into dangerous things or missing anything. This seems like a prime candidate for a tech upgrade, but in the interim a blanket mod or, at minimum, an easily accessible piece equipment or backslot item would suffice. (Flashlight by itself is not sufficient but an item like that might work, depending on just how it works.)

Incidentally, I hope they plan to focus some on polishing the interface before they go gung-ho throwing more content into the beta. Keybinding goes without saying (which I know is intended), but also making the interface less of a hassle to use. Tech upgrades are big example there, but also just the general handling of the various windows - it could do with growing the tooltip in a different direction if the default goes offscreen, for example, and it would also be nice if windows (read: your inventory) did not reset whenever you open a container.

PS: 42 inferior brains and not one superior brain is ridiculous, particularly the extractor is such a pain in the ass to use. I swear, sometimes I clearly hit the enemy with it but it does nothing (never mind that they could be too close to get hit with the beam, as happens more often with rifle guns), on top of the inconvenience of its low damage virtually necessitating switching back and forth from it and real weapons, with the (probably intended but otherwise) inexplicable delay before it can be used and high energy cost.

PPS: Of course, I completely recognize that this is a beta so I have a really hard time justifying complaints like this. Especially when modding is already so full bore. Why should I complain/suggest improvements when I should just sit on it because things are probably just placeholder right now (I have no way of knowing what's actually planned or even how the planned things will be implemented), and if things really irk me why not just find a mod?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:34:07 pm by Niveras »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: February 04, 2014, 06:44:05 pm »

You could use the Lantern on a Stick at night and a flashlight, assuming you have a 1H weapon in your central slots. (or a two-hander there and switching between it and flashlight) That gives you enough light to see whats near you, but for mining you either have to dig more or bring brighter light sources with you.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: February 04, 2014, 06:46:36 pm »

You could use the Lantern on a Stick at night and a flashlight, assuming you have a 1H weapon in your central slots. (or a two-hander there and switching between it and flashlight) That gives you enough light to see whats near you, but for mining you either have to dig more or bring brighter light sources with you.
This gent has the way o' it. Lantern onna Stick for your backslot light, flashlight for ambience.

3. Run Resize Enable

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: February 04, 2014, 07:06:15 pm »

Re: Darkness
You can also warp back to the ship for a minute or two and it resets the planet to dawn, buuuut that sucks when you're working on the other side of the planet for some reason. I usually wait out nights or aim for a mobility tech fairly early on before I get too harvest-happy.

That said, there are mods for brighter backpack lanterns and one for a 360-degree flashlight which is pretty nice, so I've heard. I also like the cheap lights you can craft on the spot from the porta-printer, They only cost pixels and are brighter than torches, so you need fewer.

I'm right there with you on the state of beta and polish, though. I've seen screenshots of the keybinding interface in development, other than that I have no idea if stuff is done but not in public builds, half-finished, or in a design document somewhere. The stuff they've promised before is pretty massive though, so there's no telling how much of it will go into beta phase 1.

Ah. Fakeedit: This seems relevant to our interests.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 565