Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944685 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4545 on: December 08, 2013, 02:17:54 pm »

Actually, if the place containing the item needed to progress is either a challenge in and of itself (i.e. a hard platforming dungeon with little possibility for cutting corners), or if it's just a place where the item is sold, then posting coordinates online won't change a thing. It'll make it less frustrating to search for, but won't make obtaining it any easier.

Personally, I like to imagine the place containing the Molten Core (or a Metalworking Station) in Alpha Sector to be a huge, towering industrial complex filled with magma and steampunk defenses that are weak enough to handle with a hunting bow and basic sword. So it's a place that you literally can't miss even from orbit, meaning that you'll see it on the system map if you travel to the system, as per the event system I outlined earlier.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: December 08, 2013, 02:20:43 pm »

Is there a way to pause the game without quitting it?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: December 08, 2013, 02:22:13 pm »

Is there a way to pause the game without quitting it?
Build a cocoon of anything around yourself and you should be safe from almost everything, but you can't actually pause it as far as I know.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4548 on: December 08, 2013, 02:23:18 pm »

Actually, if the place containing the item needed to progress is either a challenge in and of itself (i.e. a hard platforming dungeon with little possibility for cutting corners), or if it's just a place where the item is sold, then posting coordinates online won't change a thing. It'll make it less frustrating to search for, but won't make obtaining it any easier.

Personally, I like to imagine the place containing the Molten Core (or a Metalworking Station) in Alpha Sector to be a huge, towering industrial complex filled with magma and steampunk defenses that are weak enough to handle with a hunting bow and basic sword. So it's a place that you literally can't miss even from orbit, meaning that you'll see it on the system map if you travel to the system, as per the event system I outlined earlier.

But in that case, it's still a combat-based tier system. There's no way to advance without good equipment or fighting skills. Why can't there be a way to get it without having to fight something? I'm still dying on level 6 planets, and I promise you, I'm trying my hardest. I didn't buy this game to fight, I bought it to build and explore, and I'm not able to do that unless I fight stuff. There ought to be a way to do it without fighting. Make the rare find spawn in a random location for each player, independently of the generation of the planets, so that the coordinates can't be shared. Make it something you can buy, but in order to buy it, you have to do a ton of complicated crafting stuff to make the item to trade for it. Make an option that doesn't require fighting. I guarantee I'm not the only one who was sold on this game by the impression that it's about crafting, building, and exploring. Why is everything locked by combat only?

Those who are saying that other ways would be "too easy"... It sounds like you enjoy the fighting part. In fact, once combat is better balanced, I'd be willing to bet the first "boss" won't be too difficult to beat for those of you who like fighting. Probably far easier than doing some elaborate crafting to get to the next tier. Why is everyone so dead set against there being a way to do it for those of us who generally just suck at fighting and don't enjoy it?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: December 08, 2013, 02:29:36 pm »

The platforming dungeon wouldn't be combat-locked. It would be platforming-locked. The basic hunting bow is a pathetic weapon, and the idea is for the "defenses" to have as much HP as a pixel pot - they'd be there to annoy and distract, not kill. When you're standing on a ledge above a magma sea, the last thing you want is a steam engine shooting BBs at you.

So, sort of a location boss. A place you have to get through, rather than fight through. Maybe filled with indestructible doors and cunningly hidden switches, in addition to randomly strewn-about logbooks and diaries detailing the reasons why the complex is abandoned. Stuff like that.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4550 on: December 08, 2013, 02:37:41 pm »

The platforming dungeon wouldn't be combat-locked. It would be platforming-locked. The basic hunting bow is a pathetic weapon, and the idea is for the "defenses" to have as much HP as a pixel pot - they'd be there to annoy and distract, not kill. When you're standing on a ledge above a magma sea, the last thing you want is a steam engine shooting BBs at you.

So, sort of a location boss. A place you have to get through, rather than fight through. Maybe filled with indestructible doors and cunningly hidden switches, in addition to randomly strewn-about logbooks and diaries detailing the reasons why the complex is abandoned. Stuff like that.

Aha, I understand what you meant now. That could be good as well. I'd still vote for a crafting route though. Something really convoluted, not necessarily difficult, but with so many steps requiring things from so many different kinds of planets that most people would find it easier to just go the combat route.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: December 08, 2013, 02:38:37 pm »

Spoiler: Exploration. (click to show/hide)

This game is really beautiful sometimes, and the music :D

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4552 on: December 08, 2013, 02:42:24 pm »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: December 08, 2013, 02:44:48 pm »

Why is everyone so dead set against there being a way to do it for those of us who generally just suck at fighting and don't enjoy it?

I'm not, I would just prefer that if there was a mode to circumvent tiered progression (the "sandbox mode" mentioned earlier... which I am in the process of typing up as a suggestion to the devs right now) that it isn't overlapped with the storyline mode. I'd probably play the sandbox mode on occasion just to mess around with other races and scout planets for decorations to steal liberate on my main adventure character. If such a mode existed I wouldn't even want to bother with the tiered progression at all, just have everything unlocked from the start and let players go where they want when they want and gather whatever they choose.

How do you know when you're in space? You'll freeze to death almost instantly. I had to fly up for a long time in a gravity bubble to hit that point. it's really far.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4554 on: December 08, 2013, 02:46:58 pm »

Well, I've been building this space ladder (it stopped being a tree long ago when I ran out of wood) for a long time now and it's getting tedious. I think I might just leave it at its current height and build a fort up here. It's pretty beautiful, anyway, especially during the day.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: December 08, 2013, 02:49:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why is everyone so dead set against there being a way to do it for those of us who generally just suck at fighting and don't enjoy it?

I'm not, I would just prefer that if there was a mode to circumvent tiered progression (the "sandbox mode" mentioned earlier... which I am in the process of typing up as a suggestion to the devs right now) that it isn't overlapped with the storyline mode. I'd probably play the sandbox mode on occasion just to mess around with other races and scout planets for decorations to steal liberate on my main adventure character. If such a mode existed I wouldn't even want to bother with the tiered progression at all, just have everything unlocked from the start and let players go where they want when they want and gather whatever they choose.
I don't think anyone is saying that there should be a way to ignore the central progression. Sequence-breaking != skipping. What we've been arguing for is that people should be able to go straight to a top-level planet once they get fuel, not that they should be able to craft higher-tier armor without beating bosses.

Gods below, I'm trying really hard to avoid a rant about reading comprehension right now. Don't need that sort of stress, it's already my birthday and the start of finals week. >.>
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 02:55:31 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: December 08, 2013, 03:00:49 pm »

Except the people who are saying they're terrible at combat and just want to craft and explore. Bosses being optional would be for them. And whats the point of making bosses mandatory for tiers if you can go to a level 45 planet and cheese out level 45 weapons and armor?

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: December 08, 2013, 03:05:12 pm »

By the way, I've been uploading screen shots to my Steam account. Is anyone else doing that? I want to see stuff that people have found!

Here's one of me and a friend rocking out above a desert canyon.

It was funny - joining me in multiplayer was his first experience of the game.  He had a mic, so I got to listen to him being incredibly overawed for a long time.  We didn't even do that much - a bit of mining/cave diving, exploring the planetary surface, and then I showed him the navigation interface and how to get to new worlds (and the number of them).  He was starstruck.

Then I showed him musical instruments.  I think he's suffering from overload now.  :P  He's never played Terraria, either, so the whole set of game mechanics is new to him too.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: December 08, 2013, 03:09:45 pm »

Bosses being optional would be for them. And whats the point of making bosses mandatory for tiers if you can go to a level 45 planet and cheese out level 45 weapons and armor?

That would be silly honestly, since then you could go all the way to sector x and run around till you find a chest with a weapon and just trivialize most of the content in the game. That's exactly why I don't like early Terraria, you're wasting your time if you don't get gold as soon as possible.

I would like the random building blocks you find as 3d printable though. Since it means I can then grab a few blocks from a dungeon and later on print myself some building materials instead of having to take down a building in the style I already want. Like 10-15p for 25-50 blocks sounds alright.

By the way, I've been uploading screen shots to my Steam account. Is anyone else doing that? I want to see stuff that people have found!

I did find some blue penis monsters the last time I played.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: December 08, 2013, 03:09:46 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 565