Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944914 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #660 on: August 13, 2012, 03:33:08 pm »

Unreasonable negative things are probably slightly less useful than mindless asskissing

Actually it is the other way around. Being mindlessly negative tends to be more useful then being mindlessly possitive by a very small margin.

This is because someone who is mindlessly possitive tends to just give emotives and phrases that don't mean much except that they are mindlessly for a game.

While someone who is mindlessly negative will at least explain why they thing something is bad.

a 0/10 review tends to be more useful then a 10/10 review.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 13, 2012, 03:51:21 pm »

Wait, balls, that's what I meant.
I would edit it but my shame has already been made public on the quoting. I have brought great dishonour on family etc etc.

I thought that I explained why I thought that to make it clear what I meant though. Huh.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 13, 2012, 07:06:35 pm »

This is the future. so give that Snail a robot body and boom! on par!

Meh, too derivative~
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:08:12 pm by Niveras »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 13, 2012, 07:11:07 pm »

This is the future. so give that Snail a robot body and boom! on par!

Meh, too derivative~

It is rarely done except in comedies.

Wait a minute... Starbound is a cheesy stonesoup comedy game.

So it is perfect

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 14, 2012, 01:54:23 pm »

While someone who is mindlessly negative will at least explain why they thing something is bad.

a 0/10 review tends to be more useful then a 10/10 review.

The whole definition of 'mindless' precludes explaining why something is bad. For example, you get something rated 0/10 in reviews on amazon before it is even released, with reviews accompanied with rants about the company making it or something they did in a previous game, or something the person heard in a rumor, etc.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 14, 2012, 02:02:54 pm »

sorry, did you get an early release of the game?

I looked at the screenshots, art, as well as reading several of the features.

As in I looked at how they wanted to present the game. If you want to object to what I say then tell that to the developers.

Cheese =/= bad
Stonesoup =/= bad (Warhammer is Stonesoup for example)
comedy =/= unserious (Mind you the Comedy part I am going to say I was wrong about. I must remember that just because something is VERY cheesy and throws a bunch of jokes at you, it doesn't mean it is a comedy)

So I don't know what exactly your objection is. That I trust that what they present the game as is anywhere close?

Ohh wait

"they may actually get it wrong themselves"

I see what your arguement is now. Until the game is done, NO ONE can pass any sort of oppinion, observation, or judgement. Except that isn't what you are saying, that is what you are saying. In essence.

The whole definition of 'mindless' precludes explaining why something is bad. For example, you get something rated 0/10 in reviews on amazon before it is even released, with reviews accompanied with rants about the company making it or something they did in a previous game, or something the person heard in a rumor, etc.

I said usually. Also I was talking about real reviews... not those things...

It is in the descriptions that both the raving fan and the raving hater will use. The Hater won't say "Bad" while the fan will say "good".
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:13:28 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 14, 2012, 03:33:27 pm »

what I'm saying is, until you have played the game, any form of judgement may as well be deemed not necessarily accurate, because you are unable to tell what the game really is, despite all the videos, images and descriptions, they may be missing some stuff out.

EDIT: this is one of the things about terraria, loads of my friends look at it and say 'minecraft ripoff in 2D' without playing it, so they don't know it plays extremely differently.

Well you don't know how wide and almost meaningless Cheesey and Stonesoup is >_<

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 14, 2012, 03:35:44 pm »

What's stonesoup?
TVtropes turns up something that seems a little different.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 14, 2012, 03:46:15 pm »

Stonesoup =/= bad (Warhammer is Stonesoup for example)

What in the hells?

(Yes, that's bluish-yellow text)

Edit:
I said usually. Also I was talking about real reviews... not those things...

It is in the descriptions that both the raving fan and the raving hater will use. The Hater won't say "Bad" while the fan will say "good".

Saying that you were talking about "real reviews" precludes the 10/10 hype-influenced reviews with no useful content which you were complaining about in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:50:03 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 14, 2012, 03:51:52 pm »

Stonesoup means that the peice draws upon many sources of inspiration and uses them.

Warhammer for example has undead, the Zerg, Demons, Angels, humans, warrior races, gods, and everything. It is basically a setting entirely composed of sci-fi steriotypes fighting eachother along with their own unique creatures.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 15, 2012, 04:23:17 pm »

Warhammer has the Zerg

Don't let the Internet know that.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 15, 2012, 06:53:33 pm »

Warhammer for example has ... the Zerg.

... You know Warhammer 40k and the Tyranids both predate Starcraft by about 13 years, right? Yeah. Glad we cleared that up.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 15, 2012, 08:14:11 pm »

... You know Warhammer 40k and the Tyranids both predate Starcraft by about 13 years, right? Yeah. Glad we cleared that up.
In fact, Starcraft rips a lot off of 40k*. Doesn't make it a bad game, its just that you can't call it orignial at all :P

*Eldar = Protoss ; Imperial Guard/Spess Marines = Terran ; Zerg = Tyranids, ect. ect.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:15:44 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 15, 2012, 08:22:33 pm »

In fact, Starcraft rips a lot off of 40k*. Doesn't make it a bad game, its just that you can't call it orignial at all :P

*Eldar = Protoss ; Imperial Guard/Spess Marines = Terran ; Zerg = Tyranids, ect. ect.

Never verified this claim, but the rumour I heard was that Blizzard was originally developing Starcraft as a Warhammer 40k game, but didn't get the go ahead from GW, so they developed it as their own IP, though many elements still bled over from the original design.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 15, 2012, 08:39:20 pm »

Well if you want to get VERY specific I believe Aliens came out even before that.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 565