Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26

Author Topic: Hardcorize/Casualize a game  (Read 39423 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcorize/Casualize a game
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2013, 07:24:02 pm »

Casual Gears of War:

Battlefields are sunny, and while the environments are still ruins, caves, wastelands and various fortifications at least they have many colors other than brown.

Blood and gore is minimal and there is no dismemberment, just the standard "burst of blood when you get hit and ragdoll when you die".  The current level of gore is still in the game, but as an unlockable easter egg called "overdrawn at the blood bank".

Marcus Fenix is still roughly the same character, but is the comically serious guy in a much more cheerful squad that is constantly exchanging friendly banter and commenting on the ridiculous overkill that many of their weapons represent.  The team gets along almost entirely and there is no more than one named character death per game that actually sticks.

The Locust are still a horde of monsters trying to kill humanity, but their character designs are less grim and fleshy looking and more simply alien.  There is at least one type of locust that is entertainingly stupid.

The multiplayer doesn't track K/D, and the community is wide enough that there are no implicit rules like "only gnasher" and "no kill theifing", because not enough people would follow them anyway.  You can chose between at least 5 guns for each slot.  The gameplay isn't quite so tilted towards forcing people to fight at extreme close range, although the cover system still makes ranged kills hard.  The heavy weapons that are always lying in the center of the arena are more exaggeratedly effective, representing almost automatic kills in exchange for very low ammo counts.

Health is significantly less but all players automatically revive in all modes (as opposed to needing help or bleeding out).  Players can choose to respawn instantly if they are downed and the mode allows it (which almost all do) and there is no form of execution that makes it take longer to respawn.  Game modes that require close combat or put a lot of responsibility on one player are switched out for modes that provide wide shifts in gameplay, such as attack/defense, larger scale battles, or a rotating set of unusual silly modes a la Halo 3's grab bag.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2013, 08:35:45 pm »

Hardcore Chutes and Ladders:
-perma-death
-at the bottom of the chutes? Spikes.

Hardcore Ernie's Big Splash
:
-realistic physics
-the rubber ducky may get lost... forever.

Hardcore Twister:
-no change. Twister is already painful enough as it is.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2013, 09:13:16 pm »

Little time remains, quick thinking is required, red and black as far as the eye can see. There's an army of 52 that must be divided and conquered in due pace.

What do you do, and how do you do it in such little time?

SOLITAIRE
Hardcore Edition

Just when you thought you didn't feel alone enough...

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2013, 09:26:35 pm »

Requiring advanced knowledge of game theory, you must tacticaly place your X's to block the enemy from forming rows of their nefarious O's. Each time you fail, the princess looses another finger...

Hardcore Twister:
No-grav
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 09:53:14 pm »

Hardcore Crusader Kings II (Armageddon DLC):

Aztecs start invading 30-70 years in, heavily depopulating areas they capture for religious sacrifices. Once they start slowing down too much, an apocalypse happens as the barrier between worlds is weakened enough for hordes of Mesoamerican-themed demons to begin invading.
Viking raids are increased. They heavily depopulate areas for religious sacrifices. Once they start slowing down too much, Ragnarok happens as annoyed gods cause hordes of Nordic-themed demons to begin invading.
Muslum wars are increased. Once wars slow down, hordes of bored Muslum-themed demons begin invading.
Asian invaders occur more frequently. They slaughter people as they pass and salt the lands. Once they start slowing down, hordes of Asian-themed(mixed) demons begin invading.
West Africa gets invaded by aliens. Once they have enough thralls, they continue invading.
Atlantis rises once more! They seek to conquer coastal provinces, and use the life force of the populace to raise their aquatic overlords. Once they sacrifice enough, hordes of aquatic-themed demons begin invading.
The Incans invade. Once they do, giant spiders begin to proliferate across Europe.
The most pious of Christan lords get a few blessed weapons, allowing them small groups of elite warriors nearly able to stand toe-to-toe with non-alien inhuman foes when they have the numerical advantage and good terrain. This is disabled if Rome is ever sacked.

Hardcore Hearts of Iron:

Crossover with X-Com. Try to win the war, despite aliens occasionally annihilating entire tank corps at a go, before your enemies invent Elerium-115 nukes.

Hardcore Civilization:

After launching a spaceship, it becomes a space 4X. Can a fragmented humanity defeat united alien races? (I like this idea as a multiplayer game. Someone make this.)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2013, 09:56:21 pm »

Casual anything: pay to win

(Also ironic because few people consider throwing gobs of money at something as a "casual" level of interest.)

Pay to win isn't really casual.  Its more just obnoxious.  The kind of playerbase it builds isn't particularly hardcore or casual, its more people with disposable income.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2013, 10:29:18 pm »

Casual X-COM: the intro video.

I might think of something more in-depth later.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2013, 11:03:27 pm »

Alternate Hardcore Civilization: You might as well run for president. That'll be an easier job. :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2013, 11:05:23 pm »

Little time remains, quick thinking is required, red and black as far as the eye can see. There's an army of 52 that must be divided and conquered in due pace.

What do you do, and how do you do it in such little time?

SOLITAIRE
Hardcore Edition

Just when you thought you didn't feel alone enough...

*slow clap*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2013, 11:07:58 pm »

Casual anything: pay to win

(Also ironic because few people consider throwing gobs of money at something as a "casual" level of interest.)

Pay to win isn't really casual.  Its more just obnoxious.  The kind of playerbase it builds isn't particularly hardcore or casual, its more people with disposable income.

Ehh many of these are confusing "Casual" with easy or childish... and while there are certainly patterns of that being true, it isn't necessarily part of the casual market.

The best being the one of Gears of War which to me is nearly the epitome of a casual shooter. Being turned into a "casual game" by toning down the violence and blood.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2013, 01:11:03 am »

Casual Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode:

-Cover system
-Regenerating health, healing items
-No exploration, go through a linear series of levels with no secrets or sidequests
-Pay for better weapons and armor (not that you'll need it)
-All enemies have been replaced with zombies. Those are popular now, right?
-Now on Android, iOS, PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, XBone, PSP, DS, 3DS, Wii, WiiU, Virtual Console

Hardcore Half-Life:

-Your HEV suit can now break down and needs repairs. Repair parts can be taken from nearby machinery, but some of that machinery controls doors that you need to open or poisonous gas that you need to not breathe
-Enemies can dynamically spawn behind you or around corners even after you thought you'd cleared an area
-All of Black Mesa can be explored as you wish, but you still have to complete your objectives with no guidance but what security guards and scientists you find among the wreckage, on a time limit before the US Military destroys the place
-Use scientific equipment like lasers and prisms, radioactive materials, poisonous gas and the environment to set up traps on par with DF's

"Hardcore" Half-Life:

-Gordon Freeman now wears a fridge for armor, but still no helmet
-Rent-a-cop security guards have been replaced with power-armored marines
-Regenerating health, regenerating energy shields
-Cover system
-Everybody swears every other word. No exceptions
-Everybody smokes
-"RPG ELEMENTS"
-Headshots make enemies' heads explode
-The Xen aliens have been replaced with bipedal aliens with human-like proportions in power armor
-All female characters wear skintight latex hazmat suits or labcoats unbuttoned to their navels
-In addition to grey-brown textures, the entire game is rendered through a low-contrast filter for MAXIMUM REALISM
-Hard difficulty is roughly equivalent to Medium on the original
-Now on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC with absolutely no difference between any of them. A shoddy WiiU port with some tacked-on minigames is coming in a year or two.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

ssfsx17

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2013, 01:54:31 am »

Hardcore Terraria
- Crafting requires the parts to be laid out in a specific pattern, just like Minecraft
- You have to build fires, cook food, and stay in buildings just to keep from freezing to death, like Unreal World
- The corruption can permanently turn you into a zombie

Casual Metal Gear
- When you sneak up behind guards, you just need to press the melee button, and you will automatically go into a mini-cutscene in which you dispatch the guard
- Automatically lock-on to enemies
- The storyline is greatly simplified to be more patriotic and easy-to-understand

Hardcore Dwarf Fortress
- Dwarves can get alcohol poisoning, and therefore need clean drinking water to survive
- Dwarves also need sewage systems, or else they will get very dirty and infected
- Dwarves try to kill each other all the time if they're not well-guarded

Casual Hotline Miami
- Enemies and their bullets travel very slowly
- The protagonist can take about 100 hits before dying, and regenerates health
- You can carry 20 weapons at a time, and plenty of ammo for each

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2013, 02:08:05 am »

Hardcore Dwarf Fortress
- Dwarves try to kill each other all the time if they're not well-guarded

Sounds like casual Dwarf Fortress to me.
Dwarves try to kill each other all the time, DESPITE being guarded.. and that's BEFORE the first one goes nuts.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:09:53 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2013, 02:31:45 am »

And if you can somehow stop that your own mounting megalomania will kill thousands in your increasingly elaborate and stupid projects.
Hello Hunam

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2013, 02:51:10 am »

Hardcore Dwarf Fortress:

Your starting 7 shoot each other with crossbows the second you unpause.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26