Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187677 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #525 on: December 14, 2010, 05:13:47 pm »

ur a fascist nazi! or maybe u wanna for the crooks in goubernement to exploit the people without them speaking up!!111

Wrong thread.  Allow me to redirect you to a somewhat (though perhaps not entirely) appropriate one.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 14, 2010, 05:16:07 pm »

It's a sign of the times, I guess. Freedom of speech and all. There were times when people knew when to shut up. Nowadays, the opinion of the common man weighs as much as the opinion of the learned man, because even they can be wrong. Yes they can be, but overall they're a lot less wrong than you, common man. So please, don't speak up for yourself, and when you do, make sure you put a lot of thought into it. And even then, test it first against someone who knows his shit before spouting it in public. You're embarrassing the human race. Shut up.
Have you... changed your viewpoint very dramatically since the last atheist thread?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 14, 2010, 05:24:20 pm »

No, I just get annoyed by different things lately. The last elections are one of them. I'm now seeing vocal dumb masses everywhere. Sorry for bringing that up  :-\

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 14, 2010, 05:26:07 pm »

Wrong thread.  Allow me to redirect you to a somewhat (though perhaps not entirely) appropriate one.
Oh please no  :o
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 14, 2010, 05:56:50 pm »

No, I just get annoyed by different things lately. The last elections are one of them. I'm now seeing vocal dumb masses everywhere. Sorry for bringing that up  :-\
Well... it's just that last time you caused a bit of stir with
Sure I can. As all ideas are equal in worth, being able to see the merit of other ideas makes you a fuller person.
So, uh...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 14, 2010, 06:00:46 pm »

So, uh...
Yeah, I know. Doesn't mean I have to agree with them. Or that I want to hear them. Or <insert any other made-up reason to maintain internal consistency>.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #531 on: December 14, 2010, 06:04:24 pm »

Quote from: Siquo
being able to see the merit of other ideas makes you a fuller person.

I agree with this part. Even if an idea is completely stupid it never hurts to try to figure out why people would willingly believe something like that.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 14, 2010, 06:05:43 pm »

Well, yeah.  But "You should try and see all viewpoints, afterall they're equally valid" is fundamentally incompatible with "Most people are complete idiots".

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 14, 2010, 06:05:49 pm »

Yeah, I know. Doesn't mean I have to agree with them. Or that I want to hear them. Or <insert any other made-up reason to maintain internal consistency>.

Saving throw:  Failed.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 14, 2010, 06:24:46 pm »

Well, yeah.  But "You should try and see all viewpoints, afterall they're equally valid" is fundamentally incompatible with "Most people are complete idiots".
Of course it isn't. The validity of a viewpoint has nothing to do with that. It's just a difference in priorities that annoys me, and the complete unwillingness of actually thinking. Whether they can't or won't is indifferent to me, for other historic reasons.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 14, 2010, 06:28:03 pm »

Of course it isn't. The validity of a viewpoint has nothing to do with that. It's just a difference in priorities that annoys me, and the complete unwillingness of actually thinking. Whether they can't or won't is indifferent to me, for other historic reasons.
I don't think it is indifferent to you... I think you are irritated because they do not think as you do...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #536 on: December 14, 2010, 06:28:31 pm »

Priorities are ideas.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 14, 2010, 06:30:19 pm »

"I don't think philosophy is important" is still a viewpoint.  Indeed, "I don't think it's necessary to overthink things" is another.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 14, 2010, 06:43:31 pm »

At a guess, it's the dumb masses who are so willfully set in their own stupidity that's getting to you. They're neither accepting of different viewpoints (which mitigates the problem of dealing with them if they disagree with you, because at least they're not going to insist that you agree, your beliefs be damned), nor holding viewpoints you find acceptable (so they don't even have the mitigating virtue of being right.

My 2 cents, anyway. I am overanalyzing I bet.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 14, 2010, 06:54:50 pm »

Religion should be like masturbating... you keep it to yourself and do it by yourself.

Everyone's happy and people don't talk about it. Bonus, It safes lives and also stops creating more of it. Because this dirtball is getting way to busy.  :P
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 194