Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 194

Author Topic: Atheism Redux [READ THE FIRST POST]  (Read 187837 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism Redux
« Reply #300 on: December 09, 2010, 06:05:11 am »

After all, I wouldn't like to be called a stupid Satan loving sinner, bound to go to hell to get raped by red hot metal rod by a fundamentalist Christian even through he think he's right too.
you'd feel offended by that?
not that i enjoy being raped by fundamentalist christians but it's hard to take a "you're a sinner and will go to hell" seriously.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 09, 2010, 06:55:05 am »

No. Santa actually gave presents.

The hell he did! Socks != Presents.

Just for the record:  You must have been gifted insufficiently cozy socks.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #302 on: December 09, 2010, 09:08:54 am »

We're a discussion on the internet, not the parliament. We're perfectly allowed to have intolerant, sweeping, destructive views and arguments, as long as they're right.

Let's all be the literal embodiment of the very group we seek to tear down by using the exact same logic they do to justify it.

Yes.

Edit:
Let's say you have an atheist and a theist, together in a room. Both of them have the exact same beliefs about absolutely everything except for whether or not god exists. The only thing they can possibly argue about is the one thing that is supposed to be unanswerable. Whether you believe that it was deliberately constructed to be unanswerable, or that it's due to the will of this god, it's irrelevant, the question is still unanswerable. If you don't believe that the argument itself is an utterly futile and pointless waste of time (which it is), how do you go about making any sort of coherent argument?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:30:57 am by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 09, 2010, 09:38:37 am »

If you don't believe that the argument itself is an utterly futile and pointless waste of time (which it is), how do you go about making any sort of coherent argument?
If you do believe that the argument is an utterly futile and pointless waste of time, what are you doing posting in this topic? Well, except for repeatedly pointing out how utterly futile and pointless the argument is, which can go straight to the "Unoriginals" in the OP.

Edit: Oh wait, it's already there.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #304 on: December 09, 2010, 09:44:47 am »

Yes, I do believe the question of "does god exist?" is unanswerable, therefore much of this thread is pointless and futile.

I'm posting here to try to convince people of that very point, the act of doing so being fundamentally different than offering it as a slipshod defense of my own beliefs.

This is a thread revolving around convincing other people, is it not?

Edit:
This thread is not about just stating your own viewpoint. This thread is about making cogent arguments to convince others.

I offered a thought experiment in support of my viewpoint.

Also, I'm not saying anyone's stupid for posting here and that this thread will never get anywhere, which is what is in the Unoriginals post. What I'm saying is that the question is unanswerable, which is an entirely different thing to say, and it is also not in the unoriginals post. This thread could indeed progress towards a general consensus that, because the question is unanswerable that there's no point in arguing anymore, and reach a conclusion. This is not "not going anywhere", I would consider this "progress".
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:05:22 am by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 09, 2010, 10:43:25 am »

Calling idiots idiots is faster than explaining why the idiots' idiocy is idiotic.
Saying the word "airplane" is faster than building one, but it won't let you fly. Calling someone an idiot will never convince him that his current viewpoint might be idiotic. And before you counter that that's impossible: if it were impossible there'd be no atheists.
Hmm, I'd argue the opposite.  I think everyone is born an atheist and they are indoctrinated into specific belief.  (Whatever is culturally significant at the time.)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 09, 2010, 10:52:59 am »

Saying the word "airplane" is faster than building one, but it won't let you fly. Calling someone an idiot will never convince him that his current viewpoint might be idiotic. And before you counter that that's impossible: if it were impossible there'd be no atheists.
Hmm, I'd argue the opposite.  I think everyone is born an atheist and they are indoctrinated into specific belief.  (Whatever is culturally significant at the time.)

Oh course they get born atheist, why else do you think so many religions indoctrinate kids at an age when they trust what they are told. Thankfully the conversion rate of adults from atheist to theist is orders of magnitude lower than the reverse so religion is a self solving problem given a long enough time span.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:10:09 am by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 09, 2010, 10:59:28 am »

Oh course they get born atheist, why else do you think so many religions indoctrinate kids at an age when they trust what they are told. Thankfully the conversion rate from atheist to theist is orders of magnitude lower than the reverse so religion is a self solving problem given a long enough time span.
Conversion exists, that was the point, so at least we agree on that.
However, if people are born atheist, then conversion rates from atheist to theist is many orders of magnitude greater than the reverse: We all start out atheists and there are more theists than atheists in the world. :)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 09, 2010, 11:09:20 am »

However, if people are born atheist, then conversion rates from atheist to theist is many orders of magnitude greater than the reverse: We all start out atheists and there are more theists than atheists in the world. :)

Touche. Although I'd disagree with there are more statement. The only people who claim that seem to be the various churches, and frankly most people that would put down they are religion x but don't actually practice in any way probably shouldn't be counted which would reduce the theist count further.

I will reword my statement to conversion rates of adults.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 11:11:50 am by Shades »
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 09, 2010, 11:17:05 am »

But what then is a theist?
You don't have to think about God 24/7 to be a theist. I don't think most theists think about God every day, but if you would ask them, they'd probably stop and think for a moment, and eventually say that they do believe in God, they just don't do anything with that knowledge.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 09, 2010, 11:23:28 am »

Oh course they get born atheist, why else do you think so many religions indoctrinate kids at an age when they trust what they are told. Thankfully the conversion rate from atheist to theist is orders of magnitude lower than the reverse so religion is a self solving problem given a long enough time span.
(This is a guess... have no numbers) Well, Churchgoers have an advantage of social interaction leading to more marriages and likely kids, whom will be indoctrinated into the same church.  I know the US went through a phase of "baby boomers" where parents would give birth to several kids (I have 7 aunts and uncles on just one side, 9 on the other) so that's a return of investment of over 300-400% more kids indoctrinated.

Now, a number that would be interesting to me is the number of non-religious who get married vs. the religious and how many children they produce.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 09, 2010, 11:27:59 am »

But what then is a theist?
You don't have to think about God 24/7 to be a theist. I don't think most theists think about God every day, but if you would ask them, they'd probably stop and think for a moment, and eventually say that they do believe in God, they just don't do anything with that knowledge.

I'd say most don't believe they just fill in the form when ask as that is what they have always done and have only ever thought about it when asked. More of an autoresponse than a belief. It is certainly true that the majority of 'christians' I know have never been to a church since they moved out from their parents place. Of course maybe I only have this view as a chunk of my family is religious and it's obvious they are from how they live.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 09, 2010, 12:54:02 pm »

The red text was just my "This is my 'moderating the thread' statement" thing. Since I want to participate in the thread, I want to make it obvious whether I'm saying something as just somebody talking, or as somebody considering locking it to prevent a flamewar, and make sure that I'm not getting the roles confused in a sort of, "Fine, I'm leaving and taking my ball with me" sort of way. Probably should've been more explicit about that, in retrospect.
Add the Word of God (hehe) rule to the OP.

I think it's a kindof evolutionary thing.  Not evolution of organisms, but evolution of ideas (I would call them by the technical term, "memes", but that's taken on a much more stupid connotation).

Afterall, like genes, ideas are passed to your children.  The ideas that do best are the ones that promote their own propagation.

As such, texts like the bible, with clauses stopping itself from ever being modified and which explicitly tell you to pass them down to your children are preserved from generation to generation.  Atheism, which is far vaguer an idea that has no clauses to have itself passed to the next generation... less so.

Anyway, new idea:
If God exists, he doesn't want anyone to believe in him.

Think about it.  He promises a whole lot of stuff will happen if you pray to him, but... your chances of getting what you pray for are no better than chance.  He randomly sends natural disasters and inflicts terrible diseases.  He dishes out horrible events equally to good and bad people.

All of this was intended to build up an image of God in people's minds, and then knock it down.  Unfortunately, it seems He misjudged the mindset of people...

What do you think, everyone?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 09, 2010, 01:04:59 pm »

What do you think, everyone?

Based on the starting assumption that god exists it's one of the only two logical conclusions I know of. Although I don't like your reasoning to get to that conclusion, it's weak :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 09, 2010, 01:05:49 pm »

Mostly because it's a joke, but yeah.

Just that otherwise it's hard to explain why an omnipotent God would act the way he does (or doesn't).
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 194